11 Year Old Kills Dad's Pregnant Girlfriend

Post by Peg »

Story Highlights

Kenzie Marie Houk's 4-year-old daughter found her shot to death in bed Friday

Houk, 26, was eight months pregnant

Boy charged as an adult with criminal homicide, homicide of an unborn child

The 11-year-old is the son of Houk's boyfriend

FullStory

An 11-year-old boy is facing adult charges in the shooting death of his father's pregnant girlfriend, authorities said Saturday.

Police say the boy shot Kenzie Marie Houk, who was eight months pregnant, once at point-blank range in her farmhouse in western Pennsylvania.

The boy, whose name was withheld by CNN because he is a juvenile, was charged with one count each of criminal homicide and homicide of an unborn child in the death of Houk, 26, Lawrence County District Attorney John Bongivengo told CNN.

Houk's 4-year-old daughter found her in her bed Friday, according to police. The child alerted landscapers working near the home, who then called authorities.

Under Pennsylvania law, anyone over the age of 10 accused of murder or homicide is charged as an adult. If convicted, the boy faces a maximum sentence of life in prison, Bongivengo said.

Authorities said the boy is the son of the victim's live-in boyfriend at the home in Wampum, about 35 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.

The weapon was a youth model 20-gauge shotgun, designed for use by children, that belonged to the boy, according to investigators.
Odie

Post by Odie »

good god, why?

and why was any gun made for a child of age 11?:-5:-5:-5

Life is just to short for drama.
Peg

Post by Peg »

The father has lost his girlfriend, his unborn baby, and his son too with one single bullet. :-1
abbey

Post by abbey »

Very sad.
Amber Sun

Post by Amber Sun »

Hi peg. I'm interested as to 'why' the boy did it. At his age children react without thinking of any consequences, but what was he reacting to? He wouldn't have shot someone that he liked and was kind to him so perhaps he was afraid of the marriage and what it might mean for him. Perhaps his father didn't really want the woman but felt somewhat trapped because she was pregnant so the boy took matters into his own hands. The fact is that he was reacting to something. The person who gave him a gun is the one who is ultimately responsible not the child. The media, (tv) and the different games available to children are teaching youth how to dispose of anyone or anything, so they are guilty also. At 11 years old he does not even really know what he has done. I'm definitely against a life sentence for him.
Odie

Post by Odie »

update:

WAMPUM, Pa. — Fifth-grader Jordan Brown boarded the bus and headed to school like he did most other mornings in this rural western Pennsylvania community.

But before he left home on Friday, authorities say, the 11-year-old boy had shot his father's pregnant fiancee in the back of the head as she lay in bed. He then put his youth model 20-gauge shotgun back in his room before going out to catch his bus, police say.

Brown was charged Saturday as an adult in the death of 26-year-old Kenzie Marie Houk, who was eight months pregnant, Lawrence County District Attorney John Bongivengo said. Houk's fetus died within minutes due to a lack of oxygen, Lawrence County Coroner Russell Noga said.

Houk's family and friends, who gathered at her parents' house Saturday night, told The Associated Press that there had been past problems with the boy.

"He actually told my son that he wanted to do that to her," said Houk's brother-in-law, Jason Kraner. "There was an issue with jealousy."

Pennsylvania State Police found Houk's body in the rented farmhouse after her 4-year-old daughter told tree cutters on the property she thought her mother was dead, Bongivengo said.

The boy told police there was a black truck on the property that morning — possibly the man who feeds the cows — sending investigators to follow a false lead for about five hours, Bongivengo said. Inconsistencies in Brown's description of the truck led police to re-interview Houk's 7-year-old daughter, who implicated the boy in the killing, Bongivengo said. State troopers went to get the boy at school.

"She didn't actually eyewitness the shooting. She saw him with what she believed to be a shotgun and heard a loud bang," Bongivengo said. The gun was found in a "location we believe to be in the defendant's bedroom."

Brown was arraigned and was being held in the Lawrence County Jail, with a preliminary hearing scheduled for Thursday.

"An 11-year-old kid — what would give him the motive to shoot someone?" said Houk's father, Jack Houk. "Maybe he was just jealous of my daughter and the baby and thought he would be overpowered."

Defense attorney Dennis Elisco said he plans to ask Monday for the boy to be released on bail and for the case to moved to juvenile court. Elisco and police said they had no clear motive for the shooting.

Elisco said he is waiting to see physical evidence that ties his young client to the killing.

"I don't think he knows what's going on," he said. "I walked out of there thinking he was innocent. I believe Jordan did not do this."

The boy's father, Christopher Brown, is "a mess" and had no indication his son had a problem with Houk, Elisco said.

"He's in a state of actual shock and disbelief," he said.

The shotgun used is designed for children and has a shorter arm and such weapons do not have to be registered, Bongivengo said. Jack Houk, 57, said the boy and his father used to practice shooting behind their farmhouse, and the two enjoyed going hunting together.

Wampum is about 45 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

So sad, what goes through someone's head to make them do something like that? I just don't get it.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Odie

Post by Odie »

Imladris;1142951 wrote: So sad, what goes through someone's head to make them do something like that? I just don't get it.

the father says he was jealous, so why not help him through it if you already knew he was?:-5:-5:-5
Amber Sun

Post by Amber Sun »

Odie;1142954 wrote: the father says he was jealous, so why not help him through it if you already knew he was?:-5:-5:-5

It was the dead womans brother who said that, and we don't even know if this is true. The father says he wasn't aware of any problem. I wonder where the boy's mother is?

Well we will have to wait and see what happens. One thing I have learned in my lifetime is that things aren't always necessarily what they appear to be at first glance.
spot

Post by spot »

If these were adults, would people be jumping to conclusions or would they rely on the eventual production of forensic evidence? Sorry, silly question, they'd be jumping to conclusions.

Okay, my turn then - it's obvious "Houk's 7-year-old daughter, who implicated the boy in the killing" is the shooter.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Amber Sun

Post by Amber Sun »

spot;1143617 wrote: If these were adults, would people be jumping to conclusions or would they rely on the eventual production of forensic evidence? Sorry, silly question, they'd be jumping to conclusions.

Okay, my turn then - it's obvious "Houk's 7-year-old daughter, who implicated the boy in the killing" is the shooter.

Well something is amiss Spot. first the reporters say the daughter is 3 years old and then they say 7 years old. If she is 7 then she is quite capable of weaving a story of her own. The father says he wasn't aware of any problems yet the dead woman's family are saying that there was.

Like yourself I hope that they do some forensic investigating.

Return to “Crimes Trials”