at risk baby shaken to death the AA grumpy column

pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

hello and welcome to another chilling AA grumpy column.

sadly another child has died at the hands of brutal parents but it is not just the story that is sad it is the diabolical sentence the brute recieved in court.

read on .......

SOCIAL services and health staff allowed a baby to stay with her violent dad and incompetent mum in a case with chilling echoes of Baby P.

An independent review found today that a series of errors were made before the five-month-old tot was shaken to death by her bullying dad.

but when her parents moved to neighbouring County Durham, the family were downgraded to “in need”.

Alisha was killed by her dad Gary Allen, 26, in January last year, and he was sentenced to five years in prison.

He admitted manslaughter at Newcastle Crown Court, on the grounds that he momentarily lost his temper.

Alisha’s mum, Claire Morton, 31, received a 12-month suspended sentence for causing or allowing the death of a child.

A Serious Case Review was launched which found there was poor assessment, planning and information-sharing by the agencies which was made worse by gaps in supervision and case management.

The review concluded: “There was no one failing in this case that can conclusively be said to have been the major factor that failed to protect Alisha, rather a series of cumulative errors that were either not picked up or not pro-actively addressed.”

The independent review looked at the children’s services departments at Durham County Council and Sunderland City Council, and health services provided by the City Hospitals Sunderland NHS Trust and Sunderland Primary Care Trust.

Today’s report followed a similar top-level review into the mishandling of the Baby P case in Haringey, north London.

Questions have also been raised over social services dealings with Shannon Matthews’ family in Dewsbury, West Yorks.

Since Alisha’s death, the couple have had another child, which has been taken into care, and Morton is due to give birth at any time to a child by another man.

Allen has an IQ of just 70, while Morton is “severely retarded”, the court heard.

Alisha’s father shook the baby when her cries woke him up at their home in Bournmoor one Sunday morning.

She suffered irreversible brain damage and died in hospital days later.

AAG

this time it is not just social services who have let a child down but the courts system.

a paltry 5 years for alishas life just isnt good enough.

this brute should be serving 15 years the judge who gave this brute 5 years should be de wigged and thrown out of the court system this monster will serve 3 years maxium for alisha life.

BRING BACK THE ROPE !!!!!

AAG

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 008603.ece
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I seriously believe that we need a licencing system for people to have children. A system that would require a test to show competency to raise children. Children born to people without a licence should be taken away and rehomed. I realise that even this system would not be perfect, but it could go a long way to preventing these atrocities.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

OpenMind;1078525 wrote: I seriously believe that we need a licencing system for people to have children. A system that would require a test to show competency to raise children. Children born to people without a licence should be taken away and rehomed. I realise that even this system would not be perfect, but it could go a long way to preventing these atrocities.

Without checking....I was reading of a Tory MP yeasterday who had called for women like 'Karen matthews' to be sterilised.

It sounds a great idea but it is flawed.

You don't know if any-one is going to harm their children until they do and it's too late. It's no good sterilising the likes of Karen matthews after the event.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

oscar;1078532 wrote: Without checking....I was reading of a Tory MP yeasterday who had called for women like 'Karen matthews' to be sterilised.

It sounds a great idea but it is flawed.

You don't know if any-one is going to harm their children until they do and it's too late. It's no good sterilising the likes of Karen matthews after the event.

I disagree. You can't take away a persons ability to have a baby until they have had that baby and proved their ability as a parent. As Pantoandy said, this mother is now having a baby by another man. She and the father have proved their inability to care for a child and, IMO, should both be sterilised. I imagine the mother will otherwise continue to pop out unwanted sprogs at regular intervals and can presumably not be trusted to be vigilant with contraception. So give them a chance to prove themselves - THEN sterilise them. At least that stops even more unwanted babies being harmed.

I think a solution such as this would have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis as you couldn't have a blanket policy to cover such an emotive subject.

I also think that people should be sterilised after 5 babies. In our school we have quite a few families with 7 or 8 kids. Those kids get very little in the way of love and attention from their parents. I watched one little girl sobbing at sports day because her dad was playing with the new baby and just didn't want to know the little girl. He just told her to go away and brushed her off. So she sat and watched with jealousy as he tickled the baby and played with the baby. This family have little money for presents for their 8 kids this Christmas, although plenty of cash for fags (cigarettes) and booze of course! The school's troublemakers do not always come from large families but all of the large families' kids are among the troublemakers. It also annoys me that the government pays out so much in benefits for large families. I know people have more kids just to make more money in benefits! I think the government should stop paying benefits after the fifth child (5 is more than enough) and if a family has more they should pay for them themselves!

It's not a perfect solution I know, but I object to seeing people collecting benefits for a multitude of kids, complaining about how little they can afford and yet they always have a fag in hand and the kids talk about them going down the pub.

As an aside, kids are VERY honest and we hear far more than we should know about what goes on in people's homes! Kids have BIG mouths! :wah:
Oscar Namechange

Rapunzel;1079422 wrote: I disagree. You can't take away a persons ability to have a baby until they have had that baby and proved their ability as a parent. As Pantoandy said, this mother is now having a baby by another man. She and the father have proved their inability to care for a child and, IMO, should both be sterilised. I imagine the mother will otherwise continue to pop out unwanted sprogs at regular intervals and can presumably not be trusted to be vigilant with contraception. So give them a chance to prove themselves - THEN sterilise them. At least that stops even more unwanted babies being harmed.

I think a solution such as this would have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis as you couldn't have a blanket policy to cover such an emotive subject.

I also think that people should be sterilised after 5 babies. In our school we have quite a few families with 7 or 8 kids. Those kids get very little in the way of love and attention from their parents. I watched one little girl sobbing at sports day because her dad was playing with the new baby and just didn't want to know the little girl. He just told her to go away and brushed her off. So she sat and watched with jealousy as he tickled the baby and played with the baby. This family have little money for presents for their 8 kids this Christmas, although plenty of cash for fags (cigarettes) and booze of course! The school's troublemakers do not always come from large families but all of the large families' kids are among the troublemakers. It also annoys me that the government pays out so much in benefits for large families. I know people have more kids just to make more money in benefits! I think the government should stop paying benefits after the fifth child (5 is more than enough) and if a family has more they should pay for them themselves!

It's not a perfect solution I know, but I object to seeing people collecting benefits for a multitude of kids, complaining about how little they can afford and yet they always have a fag in hand and the kids talk about them going down the pub.

As an aside, kids are VERY honest and we hear far more than we should know about what goes on in people's homes! Kids have BIG mouths! :wah:

I have to dis-agree abouy sterilisation over 5 kids. People with large family's are not all villains and benifit scroungers. My youngest sister is expecting her 8th baby on Christmas day. They have a large 5 bed house where dad is out all hours working and how my sis juggles a near full time job with the house and kids is beyond me. Although it is run with military precision and the older kids all have their jobs and a rota of who's picking up who from school or nursery etc. I have a niece with 7 children but she is fortunate that their dad has his own company and she does't work at all. Most of all my faimily have at least 5 children each. However, no child in our family wants for anything because that's the way we were all brought up.... the children come first. I also know for fact that given a hypothetical scenario where one of mine ended up like Karen Matthews, there would be no need for social services because the rest of us would just not allow it to happen. and we would take over the children.

I do think there is something to what you have said. The drain on benifit is disgusting i agree. As a tax payer all my adult life (and my husband) it peeves me also to see these parents like this. We have a woman near us and we are constantly annoyed as we see her going down the pub and smoking weed when her kids are dirty, unfed and uncared for. She has never had a job in her life. She sits on facebook all day while the kids are at school and the tax payer is paying her 'wages'.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

As you say, you can't tar all families with the same brush. At the end of my third paragraph in my last post, I said if a family has more than 5 kids, they should pay for them themselves and not expect benefit handouts for any extra! There should be more than enough hand-me-down clothes, etc. I applaud large families who can cope, but as you say, they are families. So many are an amalgamation of different fathers, etc., that there seems to be no strong family bond.

I hate the facebook thing too. One little boy came into school the other day sobbing his heart out and saying his dad was going to lose his job and it was all his, the boy's, fault! He eventually calmed down enough to tell me that Dad had been on the computer all night playing games. The boy goes home, has tea, and goes to bed each night at 7pm. In the morning he wakes up, makes himself breakfast, gets washed and dressed, then, when he is ready for school, he woke his dad up and asked him to drive him to school. Dad jumped out of bed, bad-tempered from not enough sleep and screamed at his son "I'm going to be late for work now AND I have to take you to school which will make me even later. I'm going to lose my job and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!" :-5 :-5 :-5

How can an adult be so abusive towards his own child? :mad: :confused:

This boy was also in trouble a few weeks ago for using some extremely foul and derogatory language to a little girl in the playground. When questioned he said he didn't really know the meaning of what he'd said...........he was just repeating somethig he heard his dad say to his mum! :mad:
Oscar Namechange

Rapunzel;1080720 wrote: As you say, you can't tar all families with the same brush. At the end of my third paragraph in my last post, I said if a family has more than 5 kids, they should pay for them themselves and not expect benefit handouts for any extra! There should be more than enough hand-me-down clothes, etc. I applaud large families who can cope, but as you say, they are families. So many are an amalgamation of different fathers, etc., that there seems to be no strong family bond.

I hate the facebook thing too. One little boy came into school the other day sobbing his heart out and saying his dad was going to lose his job and it was all his, the boy's, fault! He eventually calmed down enough to tell me that Dad had been on the computer all night playing games. The boy goes home, has tea, and goes to bed each night at 7pm. In the morning he wakes up, makes himself breakfast, gets washed and dressed, then, when he is ready for school, he woke his dad up and asked him to drive him to school. Dad jumped out of bed, bad-tempered from not enough sleep and screamed at his son "I'm going to be late for work now AND I have to take you to school which will make me even later. I'm going to lose my job and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!" :-5 :-5 :-5

How can an adult be so abusive towards his own child? :mad: :confused:

This boy was also in trouble a few weeks ago for using some extremely foul and derogatory language to a little girl in the playground. When questioned he said he didn't really know the meaning of what he'd said...........he was just repeating somethig he heard his dad say to his mum! :mad:

Same story as my neighbour. My sister put a post on my facebook wall perfectly innocently saying she had to clear out the spare room for somewhere to house all the presents she had for the kids this christmas. I e mailed her privately and told her to take it off as the neighbours little girl would see that on my wall and think 'I wonder why my mum doesn't buy us presents'. Sad but true.

Return to “Crimes Trials”