time running out for lockerbie bomber the AA grumpy column

pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

hello again its just gone teatime and the dark nights are drawing in.

never mind cuddle up on the sofa with grumpy and i will put the kettle on and come up with something to rant about.

THE Lockerbie bomber was back behind bars last night after judges delayed a decision on whether to release him from jail on medical grounds.

Terminally ill Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi was hoping to be freed before an appeal against his conviction.

His lawyers claim it would be inhumane to keep the Libyan, 56, locked up in Greenock Prison because he has prostate cancer — and less than a YEAR to live.

But after a hearing at the Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh yesterday, Lord Hamilton, Lord Kingarth and Lord Wheatley said they’d deliver their decision later.

The hearing came almost 20 years after Pan Am flight 103 was blown up over Lockerbie, Dumfries-shire, on December 21, 1988, and landed on the town, killing a total of 270 people.

Megrahi’s lawyers said there were “unusual and compelling” reasons to release him

But the Crown called for bail to be refused because of the “incomparable gravity” of the crime.

They said that despite his cancer, diagnosis Megrahi was at present “symptom-free”.

Margaret Scott QC, for Megrahi, insisted that her client’s personal circumstances made interim liberation appropriate.

She told the court his cancer was INCURABLE and has spread rapidly, and she added: “Bail is sought on a compassionate basis.

“The appellant is very ill and doesn’t have long to live. His suffering will be reduced if he is released from prison conditions.”

Lack of privacy in jail during his illness was also causing him “considerable distress”, she said.

The dad-of-five spent nine years under house arrest in Libya and has been in custody since handing himself over to the UK authorities in 1999.

Ms Scott said Megrahi intended to live in Scotland and posed no risk to public safety.

She added that he was willing to be electronically tagged.

But Ronald Clancy QC, for the Crown, opposed bail.

He said this was due to Megrahi’s “conviction by a unanimous verdict and the gravity of the offence”.

Mr Clancy told the court the prison doctor had informed the Crown that Megrahi’s symptoms were “minor”.

He added that should Megrahi be released, it would be on condition he would live at his bail address in Glasgow.

AAG

megrahi should never be released and be allowed to die a painfull death in prison.

his crime was heinous beyond comparison and magrahi's actions cost the lives of 270 innocent men women and children over lockerbie that cold night.

we must not let the bleating do gooder brigade persuade justice that this animal is fit for compasionate release he showed no compasion for the lives he took.

should megrahi be released he could still become a public danger or skip out of the country via ireland back to the middle east where he could begin bombing campaigns again against the americans and british we must take this in to consideration the only way megrahi should be released is in an undertakers coffin.

AAG
abbey

Post by abbey »

Could you post a link to this article?
pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

sorry abbey dont know how to post links
spot

Post by spot »

There's background material on Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's plenty of reason to conclude he may have been stitched up by groups interested in establishing Libyan complicity in the bombing. At the moment it's a question of whether the appeal hearing can be put off long enough for him to die in prison first.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1050770 wrote: There's background material on Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's plenty of reason to conclude he may have been stitched up by groups interested in establishing Libyan complicity in the bombing. At the moment it's a question of whether the appeal hearing can be put off long enough for him to die in prison first.

The bastards will find some way of prolonging an appeal hearing. Then, it won't be half as embarressing for them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1051211 wrote: The bastards will find some way of prolonging an appeal hearing. Then, it won't be half as embarressing for them.

Once he's dead, the appeal dies with him and none of the appeal evidence will be considered in a court. You can see why the original prosecutors are keen on that solution.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

spot;1050770 wrote: There's background material on Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hey spot my old adversary where you been ?

nice to hear from you again and thanks for the post on my computers gone down you,d miss your old grumps really wouldnt you eh eh ?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

pantoandy;1051487 wrote: hey spot my old adversary where you been ?

nice to hear from you again and thanks for the post on my computers gone down you,d miss your old grumps really wouldnt you eh eh ?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::

Spot never notices the death of a poster :sneaky:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Crimes Trials”