America's Toughest Sheriff

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

suzycreamcheese;743917 wrote: well yeah, I definitely dont have much sympathy for drink drivers in general, although i dont think it warrants a chain gang in the baking sun with not enough to eat or drink or toilet facilities and being treated worse than an animal.

I do. Although I'd differ with your idea of being treated worse than an animal. I've never understood the notion behind that saying, as if it's cool to treat animals worse than people. Nowadays there's no excuse for DUI except the person didn't give a sh.it for anyone else on the road and thought he could get away with it. I feel that warrants just this kind of punishment and am not concerned with their "rights" any more than they were concerned with those of others.

I also was asking wasnt it a case of it being fairly minor criminals being incarcerated alongside much worse hardened criminals? I dont always think that is very conducive to rehabilitation, and from what i can read about this particular system, its more about making a hell of a lot of money, appeasing the ultra right wing, and giving some sadist a legal way of getting his kicks.

Thats all it looks like to me. Theres no understanding of causes of crimes, no real attempt at rehabilition any more than someone who beats their wife or children is helping them to behave.

Maybe it'll scare some sense into them to have to sleep next to the bottomfeeders of society. As it is, rehabilitation isn't working so we need something that does.

I dont think the end always justifies the means

Well that's fine. We differ there but you can sure have your opinion. :)
suzycreamcheese

Post by suzycreamcheese »

I think part of the problem with mixing less serious criminals with more hardened criminals, is that it can make the situation worse. It just keeps people in touch with the wrong type, and for real rehabilitation, the less serious criminals dont need to be introduced to the worst sorts of criminal underworld.

In that report it says He has the nation's largest group of volunteer law enforcers, according to his Web site. More than 2,500 people are in his "posse," who go after prostitutes, graffiti artists and criminals at shopping malls.

Now do you REALLY think that is deserving of a chain gang????
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Hey Red? Seems to me you had some legal trouble with having too many dogs at your location just recently. I assume there was a law pertaining to your circumstance that you were not abiding by. If I am wrong just tell me. Do you think you should have gone to tent city for not adhereing to the laws? I myself do not think so. I think there has to be a line drawn somewhere.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

suzycreamcheese;744135 wrote: I think part of the problem with mixing less serious criminals with more hardened criminals, is that it can make the situation worse. It just keeps people in touch with the wrong type, and for real rehabilitation, the less serious criminals dont need to be introduced to the worst sorts of criminal underworld.

In that report it says

Now do you REALLY think that is deserving of a chain gang????

No, as I don't see prostitutes as any kind of criminal or danger to society (yes I am aware of disease) and as much as I loathe graffiti "artists" I don't feel that's a major crime either. But being just a regular person, I don't get to make the laws, sadly, so I have no choice. I do realize A) you have to pick your battles and B) you can't have everything just the way you want it, so if running a tight ship means chain ganging hookers and spray paint clowns as well as worse criminals, I'll support it.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

YZGI;744158 wrote: Hey Red? Seems to me you had some legal trouble with having too many dogs at your location just recently. I assume there was a law pertaining to your circumstance that you were not abiding by. If I am wrong just tell me. Do you think you should have gone to tent city for not adhereing to the laws? I myself do not think so. I think there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

No, I don't think there was any crime involved. Legally I was guilty. Ethically I was doing the right thing. And YZGI, what kind of danger does having too many dogs (who were vaccinated and contained on my property) propose, to say, being drunk and getting in your car to drive down the freeway?
suzycreamcheese

Post by suzycreamcheese »

RedGlitter;744252 wrote: No, as I don't see prostitutes as any kind of criminal or danger to society (yes I am aware of disease) and as much as I loathe graffiti "artists" I don't feel that's a major crime either. But being just a regular person, I don't get to make the laws, sadly, so I have no choice. I do realize A) you have to pick your battles and B) you can't have everything just the way you want it, so if running a tight ship means chain ganging hookers and spray paint clowns as well as worse criminals, I'll support it.

I see what you're saying, but I think there MUST be a way of doing it better and more fairly than that. Some of those things arent even crimes in other countries, so chain ganging people in those sorts of conditions seems horrific to me.

I think more should be done to fight the causes of crimes rather than just punish punish punish, and especially allowing a man who really appears to take genuine sadistic pleasure in his role in this to carry on with the full support of what I can only see as the vigilante mob mentality (and i dont mean you)

It just seems like the harshest crimes for the pettiest of criminals - not just the petty criminals but it does include them and they are probably the ones who are going to be worse affected by this.

I believe in justice, but i think for most, it is FAR FAR too heavy handed, and he takes pleasure in that, which is dodgy in itself
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

No offense taken Suzy, not to worry. For me, it's more a case of "I don't like this and this but I like this so I'll put up with the rest." Well, that and that I don't see any sadism in Sheriff Joe. But it's okay, we can differ on this one. :)

Return to “Crimes Trials”