half baked tactics to curb knife crime

pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

good morning well its not rained all day and heres my fg contribution before i toddle off to beddie byes.

PLANS to tackle knife crime have been blasted as “half-baked” today as it emerged some of them were first outlined more than a month ago.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith wants knife carriers to come face-to-face with stabbing victims.

She wants people caught carrying weapons to be shown the damage they cause including visits to A&E wards where people are being treated for knife wounds, meetings with the families of stabbing victims, and prison visits to offenders jailed for knife offences.

The announcement follows last week’s horrific spate of knife attacks which culminated in the killing of four people in London in just 24 hours.

But critics claim the measures were introduced in a Home Office press release on “tough new sanctions to tackle knife crime” last month.

Lib-Dem home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said US research had also found that showing teenagers the consequences of other people’s crimes did not work.

He said: “Jacqui Smith is coming up with half-baked ideas because the Government has been in denial about the scale of the knife crime problem.

“Only a month ago, the Home Secretary denied that knife crime had got worse despite hospital admission figures released to the Liberal Democrats showing a shocking rise in teenage victims.

“Now she has been panicked into suggesting a plan that has already been tried and has failed in the United States, as the criminological evidence clearly shows.”

Mrs Smith said she had written to all 43 chief constables in England and Wales reminding them of their powers to require pubs or clubs associated with knife or gun problems to search customers on entry.

Orders have also been issued to licensing authorities to crackdown heavily on premises that allow underage drinking, and trading standards officers have been told to make test purchases as a matter of priority to ensure shops are not selling knives to underage youngsters.

The measures will be focused particularly on eight “hotspot” police areas - London, West Midlands, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Lancashire, Essex and Thames Valley.

Mrs Smith said: “I am absolutely shocked at the tragic and senseless loss of life we have seen recently. I want to reassure everyone that the Government is taking the issue of knife crime very seriously.”

However the Home Secretary rejected Tory demands that anyone caught carrying a knife should expect to go to prison.

“It is simplistic and wrong to pretend that prison is an easy answer to all of society’s problems,” she said.

“The police, as well as judges and community leaders, don’t want every single young person found carrying a knife jailed, especially when we know that tough community sentences including community payback, supervision and electronically monitored curfews are more likely to stop them carrying knives in the future unquote)

what planet does jaqui smith live on ?

since when has curfews community sentances asbo etc ever worked?

this is another government ploy to keep the prison population down how many more must die before this problem is addressed?

how many more must die before feral youth gangs are stopped?

how many more must die before we build or re open the closed prisons to house them

what do think the minimum sentences should be for knife crime taking into account

3 different catagories a sentence for murder one for wounding and one for actually carrying a knife.

how would you sentence them ?:-5
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

No solution to offer just a thought.

Why does GB turn to America for its research, answers and solutions every time it has a problem? could it be that the majority of the problems originated in the US?

Has the MTV culture gone to far?

:thinking:

Would Britain not be better off looking at a culture that does not have this problem and examine what it is that keeps the youth population in that culture happy while its own are so distant from mainstream society?

Instead of turning to a culture that is out of control for its answers?
spot

Post by spot »

Britain doesn't have a problem with "knife crime". Britain has a problem with a sensationalist media driving the political agenda. Britain has a problem with traffic accidents. Britain has a problem with politicians deciding to send our troops abroad instead of cutting the Army to five thousand, scrapping the Air Force and Navy and beefing up the Trident program for national defence. Those are problems.

An endemic knife culture doesn't exist. "Knife crime" is a minimal background aspect of criminality. If you think otherwise, stop with the "4 dead in London in 24 hours" which isn't a statistic, it's a headline. Produce some statistics instead and then try to demonstrate that they're a national problem.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Victoria;916795 wrote: No solution to offer just a thought.

Why does GB turn to America for its research, answers and solutions every time it has a problem? could it be that the majority of the problems originated in the US?

Has the MTV culture gone to far?

:thinking:

Would Britain not be better off looking at a culture that does not have this problem and examine what it is that keeps the youth population in that culture happy while its own are so distant from mainstream society?

Instead of turning to a culture that is out of control for its answers?

Well I don't know about anyone else but this seems to imply that American culture is out of control...I agree there is alot of crime in America but I also agree that statistics illustrating this fact can be very misleading...

To put things into perspective I live in Beavercreek,..a suburb of Dayton, Ohio...Dayton Ohio is ranked 7th most dangerous city to live in America associated with crime by Population Group...And less than 2 miles away, the city in which I reside, has recently been listed as the 84th best place to live in America associated with income in Money magazine's: top 100 places to live...

The large inner cities of America is what gives America it's bad name...Most other places in America are relatively friendly places to be..."culture that is out of control" is not just a bit but extremely false...
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

I agree with your every word P.Andy.

Knife crime is on the increase and needs to be stopped. Curfews will just make the younger people bitter and more frustrated because their not being allowed to do what theirs peers were able to do. Will just make them break curfew and make matters worse. They need to reopen Borstals. My brother had to go to one once. It was the making of him, he was into petty stuff, getting into bother with his mates, ended up breaking into a local school and pinching a portable tv. He got sent to borstal as they had had enough of him, frankly so had my poor mother.

He hated it there, it worked on a shirt tie system. The better behaved you were, you moved up through the tie system. The better coloured tie meant better jobs etc... My brother never reoffended after his stint. My brother has always worked since he left school, settled down with his wife and child. It worked for him and for many of others who were sent there. Yes im sure it wasnt nice but if you want a life of crime, you suffer the consequences.

In 2007, there were 27 teenagers stabbed to death in London alone

...in the first 10 weeks of 2008 there were 9 fatal stabbings in London...This past week alone,

This past week alone, six people died in knife attacks in a 24-hour period. And in another striking phenomenon, teenagers are increasingly likely to be knife-crime victims than any other age group.

Teenages dont seem to understand that knifing someone can lead to death, even a stab to the arm can result in the person bleeding to death. I watched a documentry on it the other week, some of the kids only carry knives for fear of being stabbed and then when they defend themselves it goes to far.

No one really knows precisely how many young people carry knives, only that the number is increasing. But in fairness , you cant suggest that anything but a small minority are involved.

These teenagers need to be motivated, the government needs to run workshops for them where they can go and learn about cars so they dont have to pinch them to get their buzz, get them to build their own rally car and then go rallying, plumbing courses and then go out into the community and with guidence help ther community, just threw in some ideas off the top of my head but I feel kids shouldnt wait till they leave school to learn a trade, their bored now.

But rather than slam teens into jail for carrying knives, the government plans to require them to visit hospital wards and meet victims of knife attacks, as well as families of knife victims and people who are in prison for committing knife crimes.

It is called "restorative justice," and is designed to show teenage knife carriers the consequences of actually using a knife to harm someone.

Well it may effect a couple but on the whole I dont think it will work, same as the yobs who were sent on luxury holidays to correct their wayward behavior...didnt work.

Get tougher and take back control. Stop all the PC crap.

I have two childen...I dont want them ending up being in either statistics of victim or abuser. I worry for them and what their life maybe like. I will do anything to give them a full life which is what everyone deserves.

I know where my children are 24/7.

When their teenagers they wont be allowed to hang around streets, id rather give up a room in my house for them to come and hang out in. Get them involved in activities so their not bored and likely to offend. Parents have a big role to play as much as anyone.
spot

Post by spot »

Why, given that the country has a population of 55 million, do those figures constitute a crisis of any sort?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

i agree in part spot because of all the stabbings knife crime has been brought to the fore but this needs to be stamped out and i agree wholeheartly with chezzie a return to the borstal system and also willie whitelaws short sharp shock detention centres for young offenders say from 12 to 18 years old and instead of 6 weeks double it and make it 12 weeks based on army training the law needs to show its teeth and take back the streets from these feral gangs
spot

Post by spot »

The instances are so few and far between as to constitute the most minimal danger imaginable. When compared with the real dangers to teenagers they fade into insignificance. At most they deserve a passing paragraph instead of this day after day hysteria. Get it into proportion, just try. Changing the entire nature of the judicial system as a response to these events is lunacy.
pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

spot;916998 wrote: The instances are so few and far between as to constitute the most minimal danger imaginable. When compared with the real dangers to teenagers they fade into insignificance. At most they deserve a passing paragraph instead of this day after day hysteria. Get it into proportion, just try. Changing the entire nature of the judicial system as a response to these events is lunacy.

im afraid i must disagree minimal danger? try telling that to the victims families

there would be no change to the justice system just a restoral of the now closed down system of borstals and detention centres.

give these scrotes 12 weeks of a short sharp shock of army style brutal bullying punishment they wouldnt be so clever and cocky then it would knock it out of them and increase the sentence for repeat offenders on a scale.

not the cushy pc way they have it now.

wouldnt you rather have your feral teenager do that than end up in a adult prison serving a minimum of 15 years for knifing someone ?

it also needs the restoration of compulsory YTS for 16 to 21 year olds working in the community for benefits plus a bit for doing the course .

this would give them something to do meet other people their own age and get them in to work.

and when they finish at 5.30 they would be too tired to go out causing problems and if they wont do yts stop all benefits untill they do.
spot

Post by spot »

pantoandy;917190 wrote: im afraid i must disagree minimal danger? try telling that to the victims families

We seem to have another poster incapable of understanding risk assessment.
theia

Post by theia »

pantoandy;917190 wrote: im afraid i must disagree minimal danger? try telling that to the victims familiesthere would be no change to the justice system just a restoral of the now closed down system of borstals and detention centres.

give these scrotes 12 weeks of a short sharp shock of army style brutal bullying punishment they wouldnt be so clever and cocky then it would knock it out of them and increase the sentence for repeat offenders on a scale.

not the cushy pc way they have it now.

wouldnt you rather have your feral teenager do that than end up in a adult prison serving a minimum of 15 years for knifing someone ?

it also needs the restoration of compulsory YTS for 16 to 21 year olds working in the community for benefits plus a bit for doing the course .

this would give them something to do meet other people their own age and get them in to work.

and when they finish at 5.30 they would be too tired to go out causing problems and if they wont do yts stop all benefits untill they do.

No-one would want to disrespect the feelings of the victim's families, be they the victims of "knife-crime" or any other kind of violent act. But that doesn't mean to say that we have to exaggerate the dangers, which I think the media does.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

As a minor helpful piece of trivia, I was knifed in a street fight outside a pub as a teenager and ended up getting stitched back together at the local infirmary and doing identity parades. None of this is new.

And I bought my first sheath knife when I was 12 and wore it to school on my belt for years. I doubt if the blade was more than six inches so nobody much minded but I was quite good at keeping it sharp.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Just as an aside, my hubby was talking to one of our local GP's today who was unimpressed with the thought of showing the damage that knives cause - his words were along the lines of 'you get one scrote in to stitch up and you have to call in five other scrotes to watch, good idea that - they'll watch and say 'so that's where the heart is, now we know exactly where to stab'' :rolleyes:

I don't really have an opinion on whether knife crime has increased dramatically or not, I haven't studied the statistics, however I can say that 21 years ago I joined the police (in a voluntary role) and knives were rarely mentioned or found on those arrested. When I left 6 years ago they were more common. My hubby also was a volunteer copper who served until 2 years ago - knives were mentioned within the division just about every shift he did, not used often but warnings that they'd been seen or someone was flagged up as a regular carrier or found on a search.

I feel grateful that we live in a fairly rural and relatively low crime area.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time

Return to “Crimes Trials”