Learn English or go to jail

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I can see this sentence being appealed, since English is not the official language of the United States. There is no official language that is legalized. (and I will not debate about the issue, it is a fact, each is entitled to their own opinion about this)

I think having the sentence "hinge" on returning in a year and passing an English exam should raise some concern-what exam, whose parameters, and what would be a passing grade according to the judge?

Keeping them busy, out of trouble, doing something productive is a good thing. But a requirement like this, making a court mandated learning of a language, would lead to the court being responsible to pay the fees for them to go to school.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Interesting article, at first I was going to speak out against it, but I think that it comes down to intent. The judge is not trying to be arrogant, it seams like his intention is to actually try to assist people who come before his court. Good for him.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

He sounds right on to me.........Hes trying to help them in life by giving them a tool in which they wont need to go out robbing but will enable them to obtain work.

We need more judges like him in the UK!!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

They just had a little debate on this case on Fox. The controversary besides the learning English aspect, was that the judge accepted the time served and released three of them. The arrest involved a gun, assault, and a few other charges. It seems a very lenient sentence according to PA state law, just four months.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

chonsigirl;819541 wrote: They just had a little debate on this case on Fox. The controversary besides the learning English aspect, was that the judge accepted the time served and released three of them. The arrest involved a gun, assault, and a few other charges. It seems a very lenient sentence according to PA state law, just four months.

oh yes totally agree hun, didnt know the extent of their crime:-6
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

So they confront two guys in the street and make demands and threaten them, then we turn around and reward them by teaching them English and keeping them out of jail for their deeds? No. This doesn't work for me.

Return to “Crimes Trials”