Jury Duty.

grh

Jury Duty.

Post by grh »

No

There are a lot of things I may logically disagree needs to have a law applied to it- that if society feels they need the law, I could set aside my personal viewpoint.

But if it went against a moral absolute for myself, No.:thinking:
Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

:yh_glasse

rambo
kayleneaussie

Jury Duty.

Post by kayleneaussie »

yes. If its the law and they have committed the crime they have to serve the time.
FOC THREAD PART 1
spot

Jury Duty.

Post by spot »

In the UK our Solicitor General (your Attorney General, near enough) discussed this in committee last year when he saidThe right hon. and learned Gentleman argues that a perverse jury verdict is a safeguard in particular kinds of cases. That is an arguable point. The alternative argument is that the interests of justice are that there should be justice according to the law, and that it is for Parliament to look at that law and alter it as Parliament sees fit. I hear his point about perverse jury verdicts. In the past, they have been lauded as the democratic view of individuals, even though such a view may, on occasion, be contrary to the law. which I think means he concedes there's a place for them.

Our high-profile cases of juries refusing to convict despite the law relate mostly to civil liberties issues and they mostly get cheers from the rest of the country. We've had juries refuse to convict a senior civil servant of breaching the Official Secrets act when he torpedoed government lies about the Falklands war, Multiple Sclerosis sufferers for using cannabis to relieve their symptoms, peace campaigners for trespass on military bases and environmentalists for destroying Genetically Modified crops. The history of perverse juries goes back centuries and as often as not they're egged on by the judges, it's not considered an abuse of the legal system at all.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Jury Duty.

Post by spot »

rjwould;745318 wrote: I get the impression that you're saying you agree with my post!?

I do apologize, perhaps I should have quoted Jester's original question in order to be more clear who I was addressing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Jury Duty.

Post by RedGlitter »

If I felt the law to be immoral or against what either I or what I felt my God believed, I would vote the way of my ethics regardless of the law.Laws are only made my men and women. I have to live with myself in the end.
grh

Jury Duty.

Post by grh »

RedGlitter;745669 wrote: If I felt the law to be immoral or against what either I or what I felt my God believed, I would vote the way of my ethics regardless of the law.Laws are only made my men and women. I have to live with myself in the end.

Then your answer to the question is NO. Or are you saying you could agree and then disregard that and vote your own ethics?
Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

rambo
RedGlitter

Jury Duty.

Post by RedGlitter »

*don't confuse me grh!!* :wah:

I'm saying if the person committed a crime but I thought it shouldn't have been a crime in the first place (example: feeding pigeons) I'm voting not guilty because my heart says that's what's right.

I know...I'd be a terrible juror....but I have to answer honestly.
grh

Jury Duty.

Post by grh »

RedGlitter;745752 wrote: *don't confuse me grh!!* :wah:

I'm saying if the person committed a crime but I thought it shouldn't have been a crime in the first place (example: feeding pigeons) I'm voting not guilty because my heart says that's what's right.

I know...I'd be a terrible juror....but I have to answer honestly.

Hey! I just wanted to be absolutely sure we were on the same side in a thread!:p:wah:

rambo
RedGlitter

Jury Duty.

Post by RedGlitter »

grh;745754 wrote: Hey! I just wanted to be absolutely sure we were on the same side in a thread!:p:wah:

Hehe. It's really nice to have you back! :-6

Return to “Crimes Trials”