Child-molesting Fed Kills Self

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Federal Prosecutor Accused In Sex Sting Commits Suicide

POSTED: 2:32 pm EDT October 5, 2007

MILAN, Mich. -- John D.R. Atchison, the federal prosecutor who was arrested in an Internet sex sting after he allegedly traveled to Michigan from Florida to have sex with a 5-year-old girl, hanged himself in a Michigan federal prison Friday morning.Atchison, 53, of Pensacola, Fla., was put on suicide watch after he used a bed sheet in an attempted suicide in September.Detroit police confirmed Atchison's suicide death at 10:14 a.m. Friday. They have not released any details.

Atchison was a married father of three and a respected figure who coached girls' softball and basketball in a park a few blocks from his home in this well-to-do beach community.Atchison had been communicating with an undercover sheriff's detective from Macomb County, Mich., who was posing online as the fictitious girl's mother and arranged for him to have sex with the child, police said.He was arrested carrying presents for her, including a doll and earrings, and sexual materials, officials said."There were no red flags. He was normal. He went to work at the courthouse Monday through Friday. It's not like he carried dolls to the ballpark," said police Lt. Rick Hawthorne, who knew Atchison for more than 10 years and coached softball.In the community that once applauded Atchison for his dedication to youth sports, people now worry that the assistant U.S. attorney might have held other secrets. But authorities have so far found no cases of child molestation in Florida involving Atchison.The Pensacola mayor has tried to reassure parents and other residents alarmed by Atchison's arrest. "There was nothing involving local children and there should be no implication that there is," he said.As a federal prosecutor, Atchison mostly worked on tax and financial crime cases. According to court records, it appears he never prosecuted child sex abuse cases.Atchison's attorney, James C. Thomas, released a statement Friday: “We are deeply saddened to learn the death of John Roy Atchison. Our heartfelt regrets go out to his wife and children, his parents and his brothers and sisters. This is a man who has done a lot of good in his life. Unfortunately, he is going to be judged by his most recent charges and what we have read in the media, and not by the goodness, hard work or by the love of his family. I expect to be filing a Suggestion of Death and will request the federal judge to dismiss the case once I receive the necessary documents.”Atchison was charged with three felonies, the most serious of which is crossing state lines with intent to have sex with someone under 12. Conviction carries a minimum 30-year prison sentence and a maximum of life.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Why the bloodyhell should'nt he be remembered for the sick things he did?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

What a sad situation. It does show that humans can be - and probably we all are - a mixture of good stuff and bad stuff. But the bad stuff in this case is very very bad stuff - intended sexual abuse of a five year old. I don't know what the American laws on entrapment are, but a sick person was obviously tempted deliberately. Maybe it was a single instance for him. Maybe not. The fictitious victim is untouched. Not so the would-be abuser's family. They will forever carry a terrible load.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Peg

Post by Peg »

AussiePam;705487 wrote: What a sad situation. It does show that humans can be - and probably we all are - a mixture of good stuff and bad stuff. But the bad stuff in this case is very very bad stuff - intended sexual abuse of a five year old. I don't know what the American laws on entrapment are, but a sick person was obviously tempted deliberately. Maybe it was a single instance for him. Maybe not. The fictitious victim is untouched. Not so the would-be abuser's family. They will forever carry a terrible load.

Whether or not he was tempted deliberately, he made his choice. I cannot find it in myself to feel the least bit sorry that a man, intending to have sex with a 5 year old, fictional or real, is dead. I hope he rots in hell.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Me either, Peg. Quite apart from his very proven guilt though, I think there is another guilt on the tempter.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

guppy

Post by guppy »

I am relieved to see no child was really hurt this time..
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Prosecutor Accused In Sex Sting Commits Suicide

Thank you for doing the right thing.
I AM AWESOME MAN
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Another report I read before he killed himself stated that he was quoted saying "I'm always gentle" etc. leading the ficticious mother and others to believe that this wasn't an isolated case.

I remember reading the post when it first happened and being appauled. Evidentially he had a conscious, and couldn't live with it anymore. There are slime-balls in prison wasting our tax dollars that don't. (have a conscious). I do feel sorry for his family, this is very tragic and I hope they can get past it and lead a normal life one day....
Peg

Post by Peg »

WonderWendy3;705692 wrote: Another report I read before he killed himself stated that he was quoted saying "I'm always gentle" etc. leading the ficticious mother and others to believe that this wasn't an isolated case.

I remember reading the post when it first happened and being appauled. Evidentially he had a conscious, and couldn't live with it anymore. There are slime-balls in prison wasting our tax dollars that don't. (have a conscious). I do feel sorry for his family, this is very tragic and I hope they can get past it and lead a normal life one day....

Do you think it was his conscience or the thought of going to prison?
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Peg;705707 wrote: Do you think it was his conscience or the thought of going to prison?

good question, probably both...and the fact that he would probably be killed in prison, might as well save them the trouble!
abbey

Post by abbey »

Peg;705707 wrote: Do you think it was his conscience or the thought of going to prison?I would think that a person that could do what he had planned for the 5 year old child ( allegedly ) had no conscience whatsoever.

He was a cowardly evil bastard
Lady G

Post by Lady G »

I hope he died slowly and painfully and burns in hell again and again and again.

Gentle? Steam is pouring from my ears........................:-5
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Good bye to bad trash!!! I less sicko :mad::mad:
MelBain

Post by MelBain »

Wow....he didn't kill himself soon enough in my opinion. I spit on him in cyber space. Putrid man....
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi MelBain,

Welcome to FG! :)
MelBain

Post by MelBain »

Hi there, thanks for the welcome....sorry for the abrupt introduction....I just couldn't believe what I was reading. Gut wrenching sad....

Anyway, I'm hoping to check out some great music forums for a pick me up after this one... :guitarist
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Good deal, MelBain! I hope you'll like it here and that you find lots of stuff to interest you. :)
Mia

Post by Mia »

Well will shed no tears over him.He saved us the job,may he rot in hell

Return to “Crimes Trials”