Boy, 6, charged with a felony after hitting teacher, cop

Cass

Post by Cass »

A 6-year-old boy was in juvenile court Thursday, one day after he was charged with hitting his teacher and a police officer with books. The 60-pound first-grader was booked on felony battery charges after his arrest at Endeavour Elementary School.

The Rockledge boy later told officers he was upset because "someone's grandmother died," said Barbara Matthews, a spokeswoman for the Cocoa Police Department.

"He's a tiny, little kid, so when the two officers first went, they tried to give him benefit of the doubt," Matthews said. "But he was also out of control. Once he struck the teacher, it became a battery."

One of the police officers also tried to talk with the child but ended up getting struck in the forehead with a book thrown from eight feet away.

The officer clasped handcuffs on the child after the teacher asked that he be prosecuted, Matthews said.

His mother also was called before the arrest. The boy had a violent episode with another teacher nearly three months ago. He was turned over to juvenile detention authorities but later was allowed to go home.

The child is suspended for 10 days from Endeavour while prosecutors talk to his mother and school officials about the charges. His mother could not be reached for comment.

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/l ... RREST1.htm
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

>>^..^ A 6-year-old boy was in juvenile court Thursday, one day after he was charged with hitting his teacher and a police officer with books.

This is hilarious. Isn't there a legal minimum age at which people may be charged with criminal acts in the 'States?
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

This is a tough one too. My nephew is ADHD, along with several other issues, and is prone to outbursts similar to this. He's not a violent kid, but when he has a "meltdown", there's no telling what he'll do. It's sad, because the kid, (like my sister) is a friggin' genius. He is one of those "child prodigies"; reading at a college level, doing math that is a total mystery to me, (he's 9). But if he were to have one of his infamous episodes and strike a teacher I would not want him charged with assault. But I can see how it's a distinct possibility. Very scary stuff.

Bill, I'm not sure how it's funny...Kind of sad if you ask me.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Peg

Post by Peg »

I agree with BabyRider. Very sad indeed.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

BabyRider wrote: Bill, I'm not sure how it's funny...Kind of sad if you ask me.

The case is sad. The law is hilarious. Can you answer my question?
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Well, since the boy is being charged, I'd guess the question is answered.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

BabyRider wrote: Well, since the boy is being charged, I'd guess the question is answered.

Well, WTF *is* the answer, then? 6? No?? What???
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

in most venues in the states the "age of reason" is deemed to be 7. for legal purposes. the child is not going to be criminally prosecuted, but there will be a private hearing and no doubt an evaluation of his mental status will be ordered. however...bear in mind, as sad as it is, we have little kids killing people. not that this happened here, but a 6 year old with a gun can shoot you just as dead as an 18 year old. and...when a child in the states is criminally prosecuted he/she can never be found "guilty", they can only be found to be delinquent and appropriate steps taken. except in cases where juvenile has been adjudicated an adult and tried as such, in the case of some felonies.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

lady cop wrote: in most venues in the states the "age of reason" is deemed to be 7. for legal purposes. the child is not going to be criminally prosecuted, but there will be a private hearing and no doubt an evaluation of his mental status will be ordered. however...bear in mind, as sad as it is, we have little kids killing people. not that this happened here, but a 6 year old with a gun can shoot you just as dead as an 18 year old. and...when a child in the states is criminally prosecuted he/she can never be found "guilty", they can only be found to be delinquent and appropriate steps taken. except in cases where juvenile has been adjudicated an adult and tried as such, in the case of some felonies.

OK. ta.... so what is the minimum age at which (for instance) someone might be tried and convicted of a murder?
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

we had a couple notorious cases in florida in recent years where a 12 and 13 year old were adjudicated and tried as adults for murder, and sentenced to life. one killed a teacher, one beat a six-year-old to death. i know a 15-year old who murdered a 7 year-old and is serving life. there has been all kinds of convoluted litigation over these cases. but it happens.
bongbong

Post by bongbong »

inst this a bit over the top i mean his only 6
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Those 6 year olds can be dangerous, I had one kick me in the leg once..

good thing it took those two brave cops took him down, I am surprised they did not call in for backup.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

If you don't stifle those 6 year olds they end up turning 7 then all hell breaks loose.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

bongbong;1311357 wrote: inst this a bit over the top i mean his only 6

I'm surprised he didn't get tasered as apparently unruly the child was.

The only way the kid would learn is by being sent to jail where others may help the kid understand right and wrong because his parents either failed or the kid can legally be ruled insane at the time of the crime. This would see the kid suck down some lollipops talk about his dreams and then go home.
Maristar87

Post by Maristar87 »

That's ridiculous. I used to teach in Arizona and I had desks, chairs, shoes and books thrown at me on a constant basis. Granted, I taught the "challenged" children whom had problems like oppositional defiant disorder and conduct disorder but it's just part of the job and it was expected. I do admit though that there is a line that needs to be crossed with certain children. I had a couple kids who were in therapy for years and nothing worked.

Return to “Crimes Trials”