safety for women

spot

safety for women

Post by spot »

ArnoldLayne;472022 wrote: Thank you for the reference, it's interesting but again it just highlights what twists and turns can be done with statisticsI was commenting on "sex offenders are probably the most likely of all criminals/offenders, to do it again when given the opportunity, ie released back into the community" and the article specifically went into that, refuting it as a popular misconception.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

safety for women

Post by spot »

ArnoldLayne;472073 wrote: Fair enough on that point. As I said at the time it was just my opinion and as the article states, its a popular perception

It must be taken into account however that among the smaller number that offend at a high rate are those whose reoffences are frequent and severe, as stated in the article. How are those statistics balanced up with the overall numbers in respect to offences in total ? Its still a matter for concern that ANY criminal has the opportunity to reoffend, especially when it comes to the matter of violent sexual crimesIt's possible that you think I disagree with you, maybe it would help if I stated my position explicitly while remaining as far as possible on topic.

I don't think anyone should be left in a position where they can commit a crime in society if they are disposed toward criminality. Deterrence should consist entirely of guaranteed detection and a certainty of conviction, both of which would suppress such disposition.

For those who express their disposition there should be effective rehabilitation to remove the disposition before they can again be left in a position where they can commit a crime. I see no reason at all for fixed-length sentencing; release should be entirely contingent on effective rehabilitation and on nothing else, whether the crime is littering or multiple murder.

The current emphasis on punishment, as opposed to detection conviction and rehabilitation, squanders huge resources. If all three were tackled the jail population would be far lower in the long term - by, I'd suggest, at least an order of magnitude if not two. I agree that no irrecoverable recidivist should ever be released at all. The basis for such a decision to keep them separated from society rests on the irrecoverable recidivism, not the nature of the crime. Once you bring punishment in as a motive for incarceration you muddy the water and lose track of the objective.

If you want safer streets for women to walk (and which of us doesn't) those are the root problems to be solved: the dreadful inefficiency of the police in clearing up crime, the insistence of legislators to impose fixed sentencing, and the appalling selection of prison staff from those with a desire to punish and humiliate rather than to effectively rehabilitate.

The final issue this doesn't yet address is the tail which wags the dog, prison owners (where private companies provide and manage prisons) whose current profitability is only served by increasing the prison population indefinitely and who consequently have no incentive whatever to promote effective rehabilitation. Their investment return should be based solely on the effectiveness of their rehabilitation success rate, not on the number of prisoners they maintain.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
weeder

safety for women

Post by weeder »

I take every precaution that Carla does, as naturally as I breathe. Having spent most of my life in New York.... self preservation tactics are a way of life. I could add to her list... I never stood at the edge of a subway or train platform. Always let a very crowded train pass by and wailt for another, Never get into an elevator occupied by only one person. Whilst working in Manhattan and travelling back and forth everyday on the subway... My friends would say to me " You look like an undercover cop" The way you stand.. the look on your face. " It was a look that said " DO NOT MESS WITH ME" Just recently, a young UVA student paused at the side of the road, got out to sit and look at the beautiful scenery..... An isolated and lovely spot. Someone quietly came up from behind, shot her in the head and killed her.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
spot

safety for women

Post by spot »

weeder;472141 wrote: Just recently, a young UVA student paused at the side of the road, got out to sit and look at the beautiful scenery..... An isolated and lovely spot. Someone quietly came up from behind, shot her in the head and killed her.She was killed by man who'd stolen a car, already killed four other people by then, and switched to her car to continue running. She went out to the overlook on Blue Ridge Parkway to study. In the context of this thread, what measures do you think she or anyone else could have taken to prevent what happened? Is studying at a beauty site more dangerous than studying in town? I can't see why. It's a shocking and brutal event, but no precautionary act is going to stop that sort of random bolt from the blue.
spot

safety for women

Post by spot »

SnoozeControl;472375 wrote: Spot, I've seen your photo and I've seen better looking faces staring at me from an aquarium. :)I suspect it must have been a reflection, in that case.

(i'm not flirting, you understand, just passing a compliment)

If, and only if, the board lacked people who had met me and I were totally lacking in self-confidence would your jibe carry any power to hurt. Neither happens to be the case.

You're home early?
weeder

safety for women

Post by weeder »

spot;472326 wrote: She was killed by man who'd stolen a car, already killed four other people by then, and switched to her car to continue running. She went out to the overlook on Blue Ridge Parkway to study. In the context of this thread, what measures do you think she or anyone else could have taken to prevent what happened? Is studying at a beauty site more dangerous than studying in town? I can't see why. It's a shocking and brutal event, but no precautionary act is going to stop that sort of random bolt from the blue.

Your absolutely right.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
lady cop

safety for women

Post by lady cop »

in all fairness i have to mention the rare female predator, aileen wuornos...she hitch-hiked florida highways and killed 7 men who picked her up. she's been executed. so men----BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! (i thought i should scare-monger a new demographic)
spot

safety for women

Post by spot »

The question of whether a citizen is entitled to defend her property against unknown assailants, to the extent of wounding the attackers if nothing less would fend them off, reached the stage of indicting three of the officers involved (those who allegedly executed a "no knock" warrant on her apartment) on counts of Felony Murder, Violation Of Oath By Public Officer, False Statements, Criminal Solicitation, Burglary, Aggravated Assault With A Deadly Weapon, False Imprisonment and Perjury last week (http://alt.cimedia.com/ajc/pdf/0207policeindict.pdf).

Perhaps the question of Kathryn Johnston's fear for her safety, whether it was justified or whether instead it led directly to her death, and what inspired it, will be reported from the trial itself. Whether the indictments will disrupt any larger federal investigation of civil rights violations by the Atlanta Police Department, and if so for how long, remains to be seen.
CrazyCruizChick

safety for women

Post by CrazyCruizChick »

I've been very lucky to have not got hurt by a man who grabbed me from behind .

My uncle and me were walking back from a horse show he was leading the horse and I ran ahead a couple of yards but because it was very forestry he lost sight of me , and to my surprize a man grabbed me from behind with his arm around my neck and said to me " you shout I will stab you" with that I could just see my uncle coming around the corner and shouted as loud as I could , I think I scared him as he ran away .

We called the police they came round to my house and took a statement but never found the man , It was board day light too and there was a fare shear of people about .

Don't think that shouting as I did was a good thing as he said he was going to stab me but I just reacted the way I did .
spot

safety for women

Post by spot »

Kathryn Johnson's family's offer to settle out of court in the matter of compensation for her unjustified slaughter by a team of city police officers is discussed at http://wsbradio.com/news/072208johnston.htmlJohnston’s survivors want to settle with the city for $18 million.

WSB Legal Expert Ron Carlson says that may be a good idea especially given that the officers conducting the raid were all sent to prison. “The apparent fraud and misrepresentations by the officer could break the city's normal immunity defense for the actions of police.”

But the city is suffering from a serious cash crunch these days and finding $18 million to settle this case may be more than a challenge.

spot

safety for women

Post by spot »

Do you know, it's over two years since Kathryn Johnston was gunned down by undercover police illegally forcing their way into her apartment and the trial still hasn't reached sentencing? The case "laid bare the corruption of an out-of-control narcotics squad that lied to get search warrants and planted drugs on suspects" but, as with the New Orleans murders by police at Danziger Bridge, it's taking an unconscionable time to bring anyone to justice for the crime.The tragic string of events had started at 4 p.m. Nov. 21, 2006, when Tesler roughed up and arrested small-time dope slinger Fabian Sheats and threatened him with prison unless he gave up someone bigger. The nervous suspect eventually picked out Johnston’s home — apparently at random — where he said he saw a dealer named “Sam” with a kilo of cocaine just an hour before. The officers were pumped. A kilo was a huge score for cops used to seizures measured in grams.

But Sheats was unreliable, so they called White at 5:05 p.m. to come make a buy to prove a dealer lived there. White couldn’t come. But for this squad, it didn’t matter. They’d just invent the facts they needed.

The officers were at the Fulton County jail a half hour later to get a warrant from a magistrate. Smith told the judge they had watched “Sam” greet their informant, go inside and sell him drugs. At 5:53 p.m., they had their “no-knock” warrant. It would allow them to batter down the door and catch the criminals inside by surprise.

By 7 p.m. Johnston lay dead, shot five or six times. Believing intruders were at her door, she’d fired her revolver once. The entry team responded with 39 shots.

Documents reveal details in Johnston slaying, cover-up | ajc.com

Amber Sun

safety for women

Post by Amber Sun »

koan;464010 wrote: The following is a list of the questions which are asked on a survey to assess irrational fear of rape. The study's purpose is to address the debilitating effect that this fear imposes upon women in society. I found that the "advice" of this thread was promoting many of the instances on this questionnaire that lend to irrational and debilitating behaviour.

1. Before I go to bed at night I double check to make sure the doors are securely locked. *

2. When someone rings/knocks at my door I ask who it is (or look through the peephole) before I open the door. *

3. I think twice before going out for a walk late at night. *

4. If I have to take the subway/bus alone at night I feel anxious. *

5. I avoid going out alone at night. *

6. I ask friends to walk me to my car/the subway if it is late at night. **

7. I think about the shoes/clothes I am wearing in terms of my ability to run in a dangerous situation. *

8. In general, how safe do you feel at night? ***

9. When I am walking alone I think about where I would run if someone came after me. *

10. I have turned down invitations/opportunities because I didn't want to risk coming home alone afterwards. **

11. I feel confident walking alone late at night. *

12. I am especially careful of wearing the "proper" clothes. *

13. If I was waiting for an elevator and it arrived with one man alone inside, I would wait for the next one. *

14. I am wary of men. *

15. I am afraid of being sexually assaulted. *

16. How safe would you feel walking to your car alone if it was parked in an underground parking lot? ***

17. If I have to walk outside late at night I take precautions. *

18. In general, I am suspicious of men. *

19. If it was dark and I had to walk to my car, I would make sure I was accompanied by someone I trusted. *

20. If I was driving alone and I had to park my car I would try to park on a well lit street. *

21. How safe do you feel going into public washrooms in subways or malls? ***

22. How safe do you feel in your apartment/house when you are by yourself? ***

23. I am afraid of men. *

24. I carry objects (keys, knife, something sharp) when I walk alone at night. *

25. When I'm walking out alone at night I am very cautious. **

26. If I heard that someone had been sexually assaulted in my neighbourhood, I wouldn't leave the house unless I really had to. **

27. When I am choosing a seat on the bus or subway I am conscious of who is sitting nearby. *

28. How safe do you feel being out alone in your neighbourhood at night? ***

29. If I am going out late at night, I avoid certain parts of town. *

30. When I get on the bus/streetcar/subway I take a seat that allows me to keep an eye on those sitting nearby. *

31. The possibility of rape affects my freedom of movement. *

The scoring key:

* 5 point Likert-type scale: always to never - scored 0-4

** 2 point scale - True-False - scored 0-4. We would recommend in further testing this be altered to match the 5 point always-never scale.

*** 5 point Likert-type scale - very safe to very unsafe - scored 0-4

Norms

Total fear of rape scores were obtained by summing across all 31 items. Total FORS scores ranged from 20 to 112 with a mean of 64.44

The higher the score on this questionnaire the more debilitated the person. So...do we still suggest that people increase their score here?

Hi koan. I've read through this survey and I have to reply to it. In essence how a person answers is very dependent on where they live. If in a city then where in the city, etc.

As an example I once lived in the suburbs of the city, (btw I live in Winnipeg and it has held the title of murder capital of Canada for 4 years in a row although being a small city). While living in the suburbs I felt fine going out for an evening stroll alone. Now I live in the center of the city where the atmosphere is very different. Surrounded by pubs and bars robbery and rape is a frequent occurrence. Our main library, not even a half block from me, has a beautiful park like setting but has seen so much crime that fencing and trees are scheduled for being taken down to provide more safety for those cutting through the yard or even passing by it. If I do have to come home after the sun has set I now stay to well lit streets.

Paranoia is not the same as being cautious and aware. To what extent a person should be cautious is dependent on the circumstances.
Amber Sun

safety for women

Post by Amber Sun »

lady cop;464339 wrote: in my work i have met many victims (also often known as 'the decedent') ...i've also known a lot of murderers. i have been accused of 'scare-mongering' here repeatedly. when in fact my intentions were no such thing. it is best if women in particular do not have a victim demeanor. it is best to appear aware and confident. purse-snatching is not uncommon, especially with the large population of elderly here. so yes, they should carry it close to the body.

You have a good thread here LC, don't allow others to move it off course.

In Spots example of his daughters trip it is to be remembered that she was generally in the company of other people. There wasn't any mention of her wandering the streets alone at night. And if she did well then, she was fortunate, possibly being a tourist helped.

In any given country all a person has to do is estimate the amount of men in any given prison and then count the number of male prisons in the country. Compare that to female prisons and the number incarcerated there.

However it is a fact that most rapes occur by friends or family members, and 'dates' so this does not make all men bad. But a woman who is not cautious is just plain asking for problems. And it is a guarantee that sooner or later she will get them. It is also to be taken into consideration that often rapes will start off as a robbery first, the rape is just an 'extra' that the perp decides on after the fact.
Amber Sun

safety for women

Post by Amber Sun »

Clancy;468345 wrote: I've never been to the U.S, nor has my thirty year old daughter . ...so as a guide on how to be safe when your living there as a temporary resident might well be different to the advice given to a tourist .....of course presuming your not living within a tourist catchment area. . Who better to ask than a Police Officer. They do live and work there, and if they have any reasonable length of service....who better to explain through their experiences of being a law enforcement officer, after all, they see, and have to deal with undesirables every single working day.

This is where the visitation of officers to, schools, or any other grouping such as women who feel at risk, and those who are at risk.....It seems logical to go to them for advice, or be coached on how to be aware of their surroundings. As far as I can see, DesignerGirl & Red Glitter had shown an interest in this, and that's what prompted the OP to write. As stated, the police officer will have made arrests to those who have chosen women as their prime targets, so, who else would you ask?

In my opinion.....I'll type that again for the benefit of those who believe otherwise, "In my opinion" the thread should have been left alone for those women that showed an interest, or wanted to hear more from a long serving police officer. Taking the thread topic off track, or as some have called it, hi-jacking.....into another social political debate isn't what was wanted by the women who showed an interest in hearing more.

As well as first hand experiences, these officers give sound advice.....however it is their job to inform you of the unpleasant circumstances that can and do arise with each question they are asked, and how best to avoid particular situations. Granted it's not everyone who needs specific guidance into area's you'd not normally find yourself in, but harking back to the members who did ask....and not forgetting, they "do" live, and are American citizens of the U.S. It does seem that this thread has been sidetracked/hi-jacked for other reasons.

Let me just state again. This is my own opinion, and the idea that I do anything otherwise has worn so thin, I can't say to those I gave assurances that I would "try" and maintain a level of civility when this is brought to question.

Very well spoken Clancy. :-6
Amber Sun

safety for women

Post by Amber Sun »

lady cop;468384 wrote: more treacherous advice from the OP.... ineffectual pepper spray that gives a FALSE sense of security, when used on an assailant, will just make the assailant angrier and more likely to harm a victim.

Absolutely true. I don't advocate pepper spray. As I explained to one woman that had it in her pocket "see if you can grab that spray making sure it is aimed at me and not yourself faster than I can grab you". Needless to say she got rid of the pepper spray.
Odie

safety for women

Post by Odie »

Amber Sun;1142621 wrote: Absolutely true. I don't advocate pepper spray. As I explained to one woman that had it in her pocket "see if you can grab that spray making sure it is aimed at me and not yourself faster than I can grab you". Needless to say she got rid of the pepper spray.

I disagree on the pepper spray.....last year my 15 year old neighbour's daughter and her girlfriend were approached by 3 men drunk on the street, they ran from them, and luckily made it to safety.

If they hadn't of been able to outrun them.......I don't even want to imagine....

To me, there would be plenty of times pepper spray would come in handy.

Even walking down the street, keep it your jacket pocket and leave your hand there.
Life is just to short for drama.
Amber Sun

safety for women

Post by Amber Sun »

Odie;1142626 wrote: I disagree on the pepper spray.....last year my 15 year old neighbour's daughter and her girlfriend were approached by 3 men drunk on the street, they ran from them, and luckily made it to safety.

If they hadn't of been able to outrun them.......I don't even want to imagine....

To me, there would be plenty of times pepper spray would come in handy.

Even walking down the street, keep it your jacket pocket and leave your hand there.

You have a point Odie and it is feasible if only walking a very short way and the woman is very alert and aware. But in the case of your neighbour's daughter and her girlfriend if they had used the spray on the one man one of the others may have grabbed at them, if not in anger then in self-protection. Remember that the spray has to hit the person in the eyes, if it's even just a few inches lower and gets the nose and mouth the spray will just cause anger. The girls were probably talking to each other and fear alone may have caused the girl carrying the spray (had she had one) to miss her mark.

I'm happy to hear they got away. I hate to think what three drunks could do to two young girls.
Odie

safety for women

Post by Odie »

Amber Sun;1142651 wrote: You have a point Odie and it is feasible if only walking a very short way and the woman is very alert and aware. But in the case of your neighbour's daughter and her girlfriend if they had used the spray on the one man one of the others may have grabbed at them, if not in anger then in self-protection. Remember that the spray has to hit the person in the eyes, if it's even just a few inches lower and gets the nose and mouth the spray will just cause anger. The girls were probably talking to each other and fear alone may have caused the girl carrying the spray (had she had one) to miss her mark.

I'm happy to hear they got away. I hate to think what three drunks could do to two young girls.

very true in what you said.;)
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Crimes Trials”