A Milestone Day

bobmielke

A Milestone Day

Post by bobmielke »

My last 5 years of work was spent at Intel Corporation making their famous computer chips. I actually made the chips in a clean-room while wearing a "Bunny Suit".

Our work shift was like torture, standing on floors harder than concrete for 4-5 hours at a time. We worked 12 hours a day. The suits completely covered your body so you get hot, even though the fab is temperature controlled.

Those black boxes you see sitting in front of me contain (25) 8" wafers, each containing thousands of computer chips. A single box can carry $250,000.00 worth of chips that are more fragile than glass. Drop one box and your career is through. The stress on this job was ridiculous.

After they shut down this fab in June of 2010, I was laid off from my job and have spent the past year on unemployment benefits. This morning before writing this post I filed for my final benefit check.

Not to worry, as I'm scheduled to start receiving Social Security retirement checks July 13th, in just two weeks. I'll be officially retired and glad of it. I drive/ride to McDonald's each & every morning to enjoy breakfast with a senior group of friends. We all laugh at the working folks rushing about like we used to do, in a hurry to nowhere. :)
Odie

A Milestone Day

Post by Odie »

I'd say you've done your time!

Your employment was indeed torture!

congratulations on retiring!:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
LarsMac

A Milestone Day

Post by LarsMac »

I'm still one of them "working folk", though I have learned to slow down, and plan ahead so's I don't have to rush around so much.

Congratulations, on making it to retirement.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
cars

A Milestone Day

Post by cars »

bobmielke;1362092 wrote: My last 5 years of work was spent at Intel Corporation making their famous computer chips. I actually made the chips in a clean-room while wearing a "Bunny Suit".

Our work shift was like torture, standing on floors harder than concrete for 4-5 hours at a time. We worked 12 hours a day. The suits completely covered your body so you get hot, even though the fab is temperature controlled.

Those black boxes you see sitting in front of me contain (25) 8" wafers, each containing thousands of computer chips. A single box can carry $250,000.00 worth of chips that are more fragile than glass. Drop one box and your career is through. The stress on this job was ridiculous.

After they shut down this fab in June of 2010, I was laid off from my job and have spent the past year on unemployment benefits. This morning before writing this post I filed for my final benefit check.

Not to worry, as I'm scheduled to start receiving Social Security retirement checks July 13th, in just two weeks. I'll be officially retired and glad of it. I drive/ride to McDonald's each & every morning to enjoy breakfast with a senior group of friends. We all laugh at the working folks rushing about like we used to do, in a hurry to nowhere. :)

Congrats again bob. Getting your first check, or as deposited in my checking account in my case, is a great secure feeling!
Cars :)

Return to “Retirement Planning”