Strike action set to disrupt Christmas Eve trains

spot

Strike action set to disrupt Christmas Eve trains

Post by spot »

The RMT union said train managers and senior conductors voted for action as they felt the firm was trying to undermine the role of train guards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59753749

I don't want guards on my train. I don't even want a bloody driver on my train. I'd be more than happy with an automated driverless train. The thing that prevents my train from traveling is invariably the damned staff failing to show up for work, it's not the train itself.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Re: Strike action set to disrupt Christmas Eve trains

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:56 pm
The RMT union said train managers and senior conductors voted for action as they felt the firm was trying to undermine the role of train guards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59753749

I don't want guards on my train. I don't even want a bloody driver on my train. I'd be more than happy with an automated driverless train. The thing that prevents my train from traveling is invariably the damned staff failing to show up for work, it's not the train itself.
More like they want better pay and now is the best pressure point to use against the employers.

Call me cynical if you like but the timing stinks.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

But thats how you strike.

Better wages and conditions.
Maybe you guys are fine with your wages and condition. A lot around the world are barely coping.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:35 pm But thats how you strike.

Better wages and conditions.
Maybe you guys are fine with your wages and condition. A lot around the world are barely coping.
No problem with that - if they say they’re striking for better pay. Playing the holier than thou safety card when what they want is better pay annoys me.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Looking at the back stories...looks more like conditions and a bit of respect.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:35 pm But thats how you strike.

To deliberately target the crucial rush day for people headed to relatives for Christmas Day, after finishing work the day before?

Yes, it is. No it shouldn't be, but it's what all the tossers in non-essential jobs do every time there's a peak demand by the public. Airports, railways, you name it, they target civilians.

All it highlights is the weakness and impotence of the union concerned.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, did they follow through with the threat?

I suspect that they will not get a lot of public sympathy with that sort of move.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Current Events”