US Supreme Court packing and unpacking

LarsMac

US Supreme Court packing and unpacking

Post by LarsMac »

In the US of today, we are so deep in partisanship, I fear the country is going to tear itself apart with the whole world cheering on.

A lot of talk, lately has been about the US Supreme Court, and various attempts by both sides to "Fix" it.
to "Fix" something can have a number of meanings.

I believe that for the most part the fixing is intended to mean, "Repair" rather than "to influence the actions, outcome, or effect"
Both of these being possible definitions, according to Merriam-Webster.

Both sides have often claimed the first option, while being accused of the second since shortly after the Constitution was ratified.

I personally cannot see where adding more justices will make it much better.

I found the below article, and think that it might be a good place to start a discussion.

It shows that a lot of people have been thinking about this for a while.
https://www.alternet.org/2019/06/here-a ... eme-court/
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Re: US Supreme Court packing and unpacking

Post by tude dog »

Looks to me like a power grab, packing the USSC. Worse than that the current suggestion turns the court into another legislative body like we need another. :?

Reminds me of my youth seeing signs like this, a dangerous suggestion. :shock:

A court is supposed to be independent. :idea:
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:43 pm A court is supposed to be independent. :idea:
If the court were independent, it wouldn't divide on party lines. Would it. The justices would each make their case on their own understanding of US law, not on their party bias.

So you don't have an independent Supreme Court at the moment.

If you want to, consider alternative configurations. Random selection from the full set of federal judges, case by case, seems better than what you have at the moment.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:50 pm
tude dog wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:43 pm A court is supposed to be independent. :idea:
If the court were independent, it wouldn't divide on party lines. Would it. The justices would each make their case on their own understanding of US law, not on their party bias.

You are wrong.
spot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:50 pmIf you want to, consider alternative configurations. Random selection from the full set of federal judges, case by case, seems better than what you have at the moment.
:roll:
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:35 pm
spot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:50 pm

You are wrong.
spot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:50 pmIf you want to, consider alternative configurations. Random selection from the full set of federal judges, case by case, seems better than what you have at the moment.
:roll:

Go on, don't just tell me, show me.

Is it you don't think the Supreme Court divides on party lines, for example?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:43 pm Looks to me like a power grab, packing the USSC. Worse than that the current suggestion turns the court into another legislative body like we need another. :?

Reminds me of my youth seeing signs like this, a dangerous suggestion. :shock:

A court is supposed to be independent. :idea:
Well, it's not a new idea. And the Dems are not the first to think of it.

And, I too, remember those "Impeach Warren" signs all about.
I really don't see how adding more Toadies will improve SCOTUS.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot

Post by spot »

You're not easy to hold a conversation with, tude. It's as though you want to talk but not listen.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Return to “Current Events”