Why Not William

Bryn Mawr

Why Not William

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1531175 wrote:

Meanwhile, would anyone like to give me 1000 to 1 odds for a £1 bet that Prince George of Cambridge will be King of England before the year's out? Both Ladbrokes and William Hill are refusing to open a book on it.

So, why not William?
spot

Why Not William

Post by spot »

Oh.

For those uninformed, Queen Elizabeth is the present monarch of Great Britain and assorted lesser lands.

Her heir is Prince Charles, the next is his son Prince William and the next in line is William's eldest Prince George.

To get 1000 to 1 odds, I need to multiply the Queen (6/1) by Charles (14/1) and that only gets me to 84 to 1. Multiplying by William (30/1) takes me comfortably past 1000 to 1 and hence provides an attractive offer.

"The Year of the Four Monarchs" has a ring to it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Why Not William

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1531219 wrote: Oh.

For those uninformed, Queen Elizabeth is the present monarch of Great Britain and assorted lesser lands.

Her heir is Prince Charles, the next is his son Prince William and the next in line is William's eldest Prince George.

To get 1000 to 1 odds, I need to multiply the Queen (6/1) by Charles (14/1) and that only gets me to 84 to 1. Multiplying by William (30/1) takes me comfortably past 1000 to 1 and hence provides an attractive offer.

"The Year of the Four Monarchs" has a ring to it.

Ah, that explains it.

I’d assumed, from the thread your post was in, that you were positing our loosing the Queen to Coronavirus and who would replace her, I could see the possibility of Charles standing down in favour of William but could not see why George.
LarsMac

Why Not William

Post by LarsMac »

George strikes me a a tad young for the post, I think.

I mean sure, he probably stands a good chance of carrying the job into the next century, and it is basically a ceremonial position, these days, but I would think you Brits would prefer to have a mature ceremonial voice for a while longer.

Besides, look at all the trouble your last King George got you into.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Why Not William

Post by spot »

There's precedent for kings that young. What individual Brits would prefer is immaterial, we have the lore. We have the book of succession. We have no choice in the matter, and neither does the office-holder once his rank has been attained. Let's face it, one can't have a feudal system without an overlord.

Gormenghast is a useful primer on the subject.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Saint_

Why Not William

Post by Saint_ »

Canada stole your prince... :D
LarsMac

Why Not William

Post by LarsMac »

It took me a bit of re-reading to get here.

So, we are working off the position that Crown bug might just carve up the upper echelon of the Crown for you.

Even though most of them are within the high risk age groups, I somehow doubt that they are in the economic range in which we are likely to find a majority of the victims of this thing.

I am sure that they would all be "marked as Safe" on Facebook.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Why Not William

Post by spot »

I take complaisant pleasure in sickness and deseases being a great leveller - the word "leveller" having quite a resonance in English history. Wealth and privilege will not avert the plague, neither in 1666 (God's Wrath On Wanton Sinners) nor in 2020 (Sky-High Overpopulation, if you ask my opinion).
spot

Why Not William

Post by spot »

“Her Majesty will move to Windsor Castle for the Easter period on Thursday 19 March, one week earlier than planned. It is likely the Queen will stay there beyond the Easter period,” it said.

The drawbridges are being drawn up.

The cancellation of the Queen’s garden parties is thought to be unprecedented. Palace officials could not recall a similar occasion in recent memory.
magentaflame

Why Not William

Post by magentaflame »

"Lesser lands"..........?????

Spoken like a true constipated privileged old white male of the realm. Just remember the true Queen of England lives in the northern territory. Yours is a German fake.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Why Not William

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1531247 wrote: I take complaisant pleasure in sickness and deseases being a great leveller - the word "leveller" having quite a resonance in English history. Wealth and privilege will not avert the plague, neither in 1666 (God's Wrath On Wanton Sinners) nor in 2020 (Sky-High Overpopulation, if you ask my opinion).

No but it will keep the worker down for centuries to come.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Why Not William

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1531509 wrote: Spoken like a true constipated privileged old white male of the realm.

One does one's best.

I'm pleased to see you, I do hope your year goes well. These are rocky times.
magentaflame

Why Not William

Post by magentaflame »

**** these "times" ...my death list could come to past ..they are in the right age group.. (to the novices of course I'm joking) A little stressed presently ..but it'll be okay I'm sure someone has a brain in their head surely..

But about these "lesser lands " .......you sycophant!
spot

Why Not William

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1531545 wrote: it'll be okay I'm sure someone has a brain in their head surely..

A lifetime of experience must have taught you better than that. Individually we have brains. Collectively we are led as lambs to the slaughter.
spot

Why Not William

Post by spot »

The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus, Clarence House has announced.

Prince Charles, 71, is displaying mild symptoms "but otherwise remains in good health", a spokesman said

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52033845

I'm moderately horrified that he's still indiscriminately sleeping around at his age, that's all.
spot

Why Not William

Post by spot »

And - silly question - if he's at home self-isolating, how come he was tested?

One rule for the rich and another for the poor, perhaps. I'm damned sure I wouldn't have been.
LarsMac

Why Not William

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1531675 wrote: And - silly question - if he's at home self-isolating, how come he was tested?

One rule for the rich and another for the poor, perhaps. I'm damned sure I wouldn't have been.

I gather that the Royal family has their very own pet physician, and they don't have to make an appointment at the local clinic.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Why Not William

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1531681 wrote: I gather that the Royal family has their very own pet physician

What?

Good lord no, the Royal Household is far more ornate than "pet physician", where were you brought up.

Her Majesty is presently attended by two Physicians to the Queen, the Serjeant Surgeon, the Surgeon to the Queen, the Surgeon Oculist, a presently redundant Surgeon Gynaecologist, the Surgeon Dentist, one Orthopaedic Surgeon for the Royal Bones, a General Physician, Surgeon and Surgeon Oculist to the Household, an assortment of Apothecaries to the Queen - one resident at Windsor and another at Sandringham - and finally her own personal Coroner to keep the press under wraps when anyone dies.

Whether any of them are allowed to speak to Charles might be relevant. There have certainly been times in British History when a Prince of Wales wouldn't have been allowed within a mile of them, least of all while carrying a purse of guineas.

The public is attuning itself to my pearls of wisdom, I notice. This was added to the Guardian website twenty minutes after my post -

Anger over Prince Charles's Covid-19 test is a warning sign of divisions to come

The virus is throwing familiar inequalities into sharp relief

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -divisions

Return to “Current Events”