Clive Cussler, RIP

spot

Clive Cussler, RIP

Post by spot »

Mr Cussler financed and planned underwater searches for historically significant wrecks.

An enthusiastic underwater explorer, Cussler also helped discover more than 60 shipwreck sites with his organisation the National Underwater and Marine Agency, named after the fictional agency that employs Pitt. Numa finds include the RMS Carpathia, one of the first ships to come to the aid of Titanic survivors and the HL Hunley, the first submarine to successfully sink an enemy vessel, from the American civil war.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... st-dies-88

I was rather impressed by his success in that area. Definitely worth the effort.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Clive Cussler, RIP

Post by LarsMac »

He was always a good read.

I much enjoyed his work.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Clive Cussler, RIP

Post by spot »

I felt he was prone to explore the psychology of sadism to an unhealthy extent and that his feminist credentials were occasionally suspect. I also wondered how a credible degree of suspense was to be sustained when the eventual outcome was never in doubt, but the same problem exists in other authors and even the occasional movie.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Saint_

Clive Cussler, RIP

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1530959 wrote: I felt he was prone to explore the psychology of sadism to an unhealthy extent and that his feminist credentials were occasionally suspect. I also wondered how a credible degree of suspense was to be sustained when the eventual outcome was never in doubt, but the same problem exists in other authors and even the occasional movie.

I agree. But, as a writer, I truly admired his ability to build a fast-paced plot. Some of his books were better than others, but none of them were boring. I'm glad he spent a good deal of time instructing his son inches technique. Hopefully, that talent won't be lost as it was when Alistar McLean died...

Return to “Current Events”