Opiod Crisis and MO's swing at it (The MORE project)

devist8me

Post by devist8me »

Missouri's made a program to make Narcan accessible to pretty much anyone.

For thos who don't know, Narcan is a drug that reverses the effects of opiods. Emergency workers respond, give narcan, and they basically wake up in minutes. Most refuse transport.

Now, we've must finished training and will begin leaving "kits" at the scenes of these overdoses if they refuse transport. It includes another dose of narcan (should the first one wear off) and literature for drug abuse treatment centers/numbers in the area. We also give them tips like don't use alone, always leave your door unlocked and how to dispost of used needles.

Thoughts?
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Link to MO-HOPE Project for those interested in more details. https://health.mo.gov/safety/ems/more/index.php
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

devist8me;1530491 wrote: Missouri's made a program to make Narcan accessible to pretty much anyone.

For thos who don't know, Narcan is a drug that reverses the effects of opiods. Emergency workers respond, give narcan, and they basically wake up in minutes. Most refuse transport.

Now, we've must finished training and will begin leaving "kits" at the scenes of these overdoses if they refuse transport. It includes another dose of narcan (should the first one wear off) and literature for drug abuse treatment centers/numbers in the area. We also give them tips like don't use alone, always leave your door unlocked and how to dispost of used needles.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? It’s wonderful to see you back :-6

As to the drug treatment, if it leads them into rehab or even into a safer mode of use then it must be a good thing.
spot

Post by spot »

My first reaction - other than pleasure are seeing you back, of course - is to wonder why Martin Schrekli - was that his name? - hasn't gauged the price of this treatment the moment he saw another low-volume generic drug capable of being monopolized. Surely pushing a $10 emergency pouch to $5000 would be right up his street.

Maybe he's still in jail.

I think any user on a high is going to be severely miffed if a passing ambulance crew wipes out his evening's investment, that's what I think. I know I'd be.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

Thank you! Nice to see another familiar 'name"

I'm really torn. Just an experienced guess but about 95% of the people I "bring around" are pissed I messed up their high and scream at me to get out. Some I've seen more than once.

I suppose if it saves just one and pushes them into rehab to sustain a healthier life, it's worth it. But we tend to have to go through a lot of jerks to save just one.

Bryn Mawr;1530505 wrote: Thoughts? It’s wonderful to see you back :-6

As to the drug treatment, if it leads them into rehab or even into a safer mode of use then it must be a good thing.
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

And herein lies my other problem. Diabetics (at times) have to pay a lot for insulin or "emergency IM glucose" for their health problems. People pay a TON for emergency epi pens. But we offer free narcan to support a drug addiction for free? Totally messing with my moral and ethical vibe.

(I've missed you, even tho I don't know what your saying have the time....except for this post lol)

spot;1530511 wrote: My first reaction - other than pleasure are seeing you back, of course - is to wonder why Martin Schrekli - was that his name? - hasn't gauged the price of this treatment the moment he saw another low-volume generic drug capable of being monopolized. Surely pushing a $10 emergency pouch to $5000 would be right up his street.

Maybe he's still in jail.

I think any user on a high is going to be severely miffed if a passing ambulance crew wipes out his evening's investment, that's what I think. I know I'd be.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

If I were a user, I'd probably think it an intrusion. As a loved one of a user who has not come to terms with why people use, I'd probably be glad for the help, but then, users won't stop using unless they want to, and that's their right. It's their life and their body.

I'm also a person who sides with euthanasia on demand.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

devist8me;1530515 wrote: And herein lies my other problem. Diabetics (at times) have to pay a lot for insulin or "emergency IM glucose" for their health problems. People pay a TON for emergency epi pens. But we offer free narcan to support a drug addiction for free? Totally messing with my moral and ethical vibe.

(I've missed you, even tho I don't know what your saying have the time....except for this post lol)

Warning [Rant] follows:

It amazes me how many people bring up the NARCAN free/EpiPEN/Insulen costs thing.

The fact that the epipen makers are charging outrageous amounts for them is not the fault of the guy who just OD'd on Heroin. Nor the High cost of Glucose and insulin.

You should be angry at the high prices for Epipens and Emergency Glucose.

The EMT that shows up for an OD call could show up for a Diabetic emergency, or a Allergy event, any time. They have all three of them at their disposal. And they will charge the patient for whichever they have to use.

All Nalaxone does in get the person breathing again. Same as the Glucose, or the Epipen.

Somebody pays for all the Naxalone (NARCAN) doses out there. Do you want the maker of Nalaxone to raise their prices to be as high as an epipen? would that make you feel better?

And blaming the addict isn't always valid. Any more than blaming the Diabetic, or the guy allergic to peanuts.

Sorry if I sound testy. We have relatives who are in all three categories, and (dopers, diabetics, and sever allergic issues.) Should we choose one over the other?

Talk to you gumment reps about fixing the high costs of medicines, in general.

[/rant]

Thanks, I feel better now.

And just to be sure, please do not take the above rant as an attack on you, personally. I've just seen a number of such questions posted on various social media over the last couple of months, and just had to respond.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

^^^ kinda hard for me to take anything personal.

I would also like to add, diabetics and even respiratory patients are non compliant and that is their fault. The non compliant diabetic who won't follow medication regismen (have freguent flyers there as well) or the COPD'er who continues to smoke yet can't breath. These folks CAN obtain their medications through various avenues yet choose not to comply.

Is that any worse or better than the chronic heroin user? I'm still not sure.

I'm not sold on free health care as a whole yet (I know some here are) but one med shouldn't be price gouged to hell and back and another mere cents (if not free, as in this project)
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

devist8me;1530617 wrote: I'm not sold on free health care as a wholeUHC is not 'free health care'. The insurance industry and the media frame it that way, but that's a misrepresentation of facts.

UHC (medicare for all) is everyone sharing the cost burden by raising taxes a little and saving the costs of premiums, deductibles, copays, and mandated penalties by a lot. I see that as a win/win for everyone.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1530621 wrote: UHC is not 'free health care'. The insurance industry and the media frame it that way, but that's a misrepresentation of facts.

UHC (medicare for all) is everyone sharing the cost burden by raising taxes a little and saving the costs of premiums, deductibles, copays, and mandated penalties by a lot. I see that as a win/win for everyone.

Also called Medicare for All by some folks.

Anyone who has worked much can confirm that Medicare is not free.

Nearly every working stiff for the last half century has been paying on Medicare for most of their working life.

The US pays more than any civilized country for healthcare, and we have more citizens doing without adequate health care than any civilized country.

Give i whatever name we like, we need to fix healthcare.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Current Events”