Boycotting tRump's 2020 SOTU

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

It appears that at least 9 Democrats will boycot this. Good for them. I'll be boycotting as well.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I am certain that I have something else to do tonight.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

LarsMac;1530117 wrote: I am certain that I have something else to do tonight.

I was right. Leftover Pizza.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I had to play a video game and pretend that the enemies were all trump clones. By the way, did you see him leave Nancy Pelosi's hand hanging and disrespect her? What an a$$.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I honestly don't understand why either would want to shake the other's hand. The way the two of them have been carrying on publically in the media, empty gestures like hand-shaking is just so transparently phony anyway. Both deserve to be thrown out of office.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1530142 wrote: I honestly don't understand why either would want to shake the other's hand. The way the two of them have been carrying on publically in the media, empty gestures like hand-shaking is just so transparently phony anyway. Both deserve to be thrown out of office.

Personal feelings aside, the handshake has long been a gesture of respect for the office held by the individual.

The lack of respect for the offices due to the person holding them seems a bit petty to me. Though, honestly, I doubt that I could shake that man's hand regardless of the office he held.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1530143 wrote: Personal feelings aside, the handshake has long been a gesture of respect for the office held by the individual.

The lack of respect for the offices due to the person holding them seems a bit petty to me. Though, honestly, I doubt that I could shake that man's hand regardless of the office he held.

I like that attitude.

I was kind of too busy to listen to the address. To be frank, really couldn't stomach knowing he would repeat his standard litany of "accomplishments", real or imagined repeated ad nauseam.

I knew about this but had to look it up to get it straight.

George Washington delivered the first regular annual message before a joint session of Congress on January 8, 1790, in New York City, then the provisional U.S. capital. In 1801, Thomas Jefferson discontinued the practice of delivering the address in person, regarding it as too monarchical (similar to the Speech from the Throne). Instead, the address was written and then sent to Congress to be read by a clerk until 1913 when Woodrow Wilson re-established the practice despite some initial controversy, and an in-person address to Congress has been delivered nearly every year since.

A real radical move to throw everybody into a tizzy would be for a President to follow Predident Jefferson's example.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.

Return to “Current Events”