Kansas Says Goodbye To 3.2 Beer

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I love drinking beer, but I don't handle alcohol well.

What a wonderful thing when I moved to Kansas where I could drink a lot more without being all stupid again. It was like 3.2 was an answer to a drinkers dream.

Oh well, must find inner restraint again.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I liked it for the same reason, have a couple beers without much effect.

I wonder what they are going to do at the State Parks where alcohol is illegal but 3.2 beer was allowed, especially when boating.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1522779 wrote: I liked it for the same reason, have a couple beers without much effect.

I wonder what they are going to do at the State Parks where alcohol is illegal but 3.2 beer was allowed, especially when boating.

Can't y'all just drive up to Nebraska to get 3.2?

I think Oklahoma is too far south for you guys.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1522788 wrote: Can't y'all just drive up to Nebraska to get 3.2?

Actually I am in the Wichita area so Oklahoma would be nearer but they only have 5% last I heard. Someone told me the breweries were phasing out all 3.2% beer because Kansas was one of the last to sell it. Of course that was second hand info.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1522788 wrote: Can't y'all just drive up to Nebraska to get 3.2?

I don't know what they have in Nebraska. When I first moved here to buy on Sunday meant a 40-mile trip north. The county I live in was dry.

Liquor laws here are confusing, but I am adjusting well, an ice cube in the drink isn't all that bad.

3.2 beer phase out: Anheuser-Busch warns they could go from 20 brands to 12 in some states
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1522791 wrote: Actually I am in the Wichita area so Oklahoma would be nearer but they only have 5% last I heard. Someone told me the breweries were phasing out all 3.2% beer because Kansas was one of the last to sell it. Of course that was second hand info.

I kinda feel for you guys, but Colorado is phasing 3.2 out, as well.

Me, I kinda like the heavy stuff. But then, I can walk to five or six Microbreweries from our farm. (I never drink anywhere I can't walk home from. and the Mrs doesn't like me drinkin' at home.)
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

We have a massive drink problem here but they tackle it by taxation so now there is a demand for weaker beers. Weak beer just means to drink more to get the same effect, greater profit for the brewer or is that being cynical

What a strange country you have where you shout don't violate my rights when it bcomes to gun ownership but you tolerate being told what strength of alcohol you are allowed. Does perhaps explain why american beer sold over here is so weak and far too sweet. czech made budweiser is 5% and tastes much better than the american version - if i can say that without someone accusing me of being anti-american. My ford car is made in germany since they;ve alreday shut down all the factories in the uk

Does that law only apply to beer and mean you don't have any wine or spirits on sale?

Just for the record scots beer tastes like piss imo
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1522800 wrote:

Just for the record scots beer tastes like piss imo

Just like English Beer, then, Hmmm?

But seriously,...

As for 3.2, most states have had laws that 3.2 beer was generally available, and anything higher could be sold only by liquor dealers.

A few year ago, the laws in many states started changing, but most grocers and such still were limited to selling 3.2

I never much liked the taste of 3.2 beers.

Something about making love in a canoe comes to mind.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1522801 wrote: Just like English Beer, then, Hmmm?

But seriously,...

As for 3.2, most states have had laws that 3.2 beer was generally available, and anything higher could be sold only by liquor dealers.

A few year ago, the laws in many states started changing, but most grocers and such still were limited to selling 3.2

I never much liked the taste of 3.2 beers.

Something about making love in a canoe comes to mind.

As you get older you taste buds change a(I'm sure I read that somewhere) and sweet things like low alcohol beer don't taste as good and bitter thiongs become better tasting - why brussel sprouts and cabbage tastes bitter if you are a kid and OK if you are adult.

I agree with you about english beer I don't like it either on the other hand german beer is really good. The drink culture when you got blootered as a matter of course used to be really string took a lot of nerve to refuse to drink on a night out.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1522803 wrote: As you get older you taste buds change a(I'm sure I read that somewhere) and sweet things like low alcohol beer don't taste as good and bitter thiongs become better tasting - why brussel sprouts and cabbage tastes bitter if you are a kid and OK if you are adult.

I agree with you about english beer I don't like it either on the other hand german beer is really good. The drink culture when you got blootered as a matter of course used to be really string took a lot of nerve to refuse to drink on a night out.

My preference is German/Czech Pilsens and Belgian Abby Ales. After that, I like to see what the Local Brewers here in Colorado come up with, though they seem to have a fascination with IPA's lately, for which I cannot really develop a taste.

Though I agree with the Kansans about 3.2 sometimes. On a hot day, an iced cold light beer can refresh much better than any soda pop, or fruity drink, and not slow you down a bit.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I've got no idea what 3.2 beer is, but would the date have something to do with it?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1522806 wrote: I've got no idea what 3.2 beer is, but would the date have something to do with it?

Some time, probably shortly after Prohibition was revoked, The gummint came up with the idea that beer should be limited to a 3.2% of Alcohol by Volume (ABV). Most states enacted such limitations. Later states began allowing a higher percentage but classified that beer in the same legal realm as Whiskeys, Gin and the like, and only Licensed liquor dealers could sell it.

now, nearly 100 years after Prohibition was enacted, many states are deciding that Beer with an ABV of > 3.2% could be sold by general retailers.

Some restrictions still apply, depending on legal jurisdiction.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1522805 wrote: My preference is German/Czech Pilsens and Belgian Abby Ales. After that, I like to see what the Local Brewers here in Colorado come up with, though they seem to have a fascination with IPA's lately, for which I cannot really develop a taste.

Though I agree with the Kansans about 3.2 sometimes. On a hot day, an iced cold light beer can refresh much better than any soda pop, or fruity drink, and not slow you down a bit.

India pale ale? That's what it used to stand for it was a lighter ale made for export to india - heavy ales are not so palatable in hot weather. We used to refer to heavy and light beers mild or bitter in england the names change with fashion. Maybe colorado has a large percentage of immigramts from england?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1522809 wrote: India pale ale? That's what it used to stand for it was a lighter ale made for export to india - heavy ales are not so palatable in hot weather. We used to refer to heavy and light beers mild or bitter in england the names change with fashion. Maybe colorado has a large percentage of immigramts from england?

Yes, India Pale Ale.

That is a most popular style among microbreweries, here. They are easy to brew, and folks seem to love the heavy Hops bite.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The general range round here would be 3.6 to 5.5 - you get beers of higher gravity but they're not the norm.

3.2 would be very much betwixt and between, too light for a session ale but too heavy for a low alcohol beer.

I generally gravitate towards the 4.5 to 5.0 range and darker rather than pale ales - never lager in the UK but I do drink it in Crete and Belgium where it's a different drink completely.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1522812 wrote: The general range round here would be 3.6 to 5.5 - you get beers of higher gravity but they're not the norm.

3.2 would be very much betwixt and between, too light for a session ale but too heavy for a low alcohol beer.

I generally gravitate towards the 4.5 to 5.0 range and darker rather than pale ales - never lager in the UK but I do drink it in Crete and Belgium where it's a different drink completely.

Go for the imported stuff. german pilsner and the like. I agree with you about british lager I detest the stuff
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1522817 wrote: Go for the imported stuff. german pilsner and the like. I agree with you about british lager I detest the stuff

There are so many British real ales that I've not tried yet, I'll leave the German stuff until I have :-)
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

tude dog;1522775 wrote: I love drinking beer, but I don't handle alcohol well.

What a wonderful thing when I moved to Kansas where I could drink a lot more without being all stupid again. It was like 3.2 was an answer to a drinkers dream.

Oh well, must find inner restraint again.

That's my problem exactly. I have a tendency to not remember how many I have had and to gauge my consumption by how buzzed I feel.

The problem with high alcohol beer is that I sometimes go over my line before realizing it! I hate that! =^..^=

Return to “Current Events”