Do you think President R.A. Trump should consult with the Chinese?

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I wonder if this so-called wall between U.S. and Mexico will work. The thought occurs to me that perhaps his lordship should consult with the Chinese as they have built a low dividing wall between themselves and Mongolia (I think ! LOL )
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
gmc

Post by gmc »

https://www.burrardstreetjournal.com/tr ... nt-to-u-s/

"WASHINGTON, DC(James Ryan Lowe)—Learning that the United States also borders a country to its north, President Donald Trump called for construction of a wall along the U.S.-Canada border."

I could almost believe it!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I think Canada is building their own wall in preparation for the massive liberal evacuation after DFT wins in 2020.

I am trying to talk the Mrs into heading North before the rush.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1522420 wrote: I wonder if this so-called wall between U.S. and Mexico will work. The thought occurs to me that perhaps his lordship should consult with the Chinese as they have built a low dividing wall between themselves and Mongolia (I think ! LOL )

That one worked as designed for two thousand years, I'd not knock the notion by comparing the President's plan to the Great Wall of China.

The Israeli Palestinian wall seems remarkably effective too, if you need another example.

Whether a wall is a morally acceptable solution is a different matter, but they do seem to work.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Hadrians wall has lasted well as well although a brexiteer I am acquainted with now wants it demolished and moved to the eire/northern Irish border to help control the flow of vegetables.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

G#Gill;1522420 wrote: I wonder if this so-called wall between U.S. and Mexico will work. The thought occurs to me that perhaps his lordship should consult with the Chinese as they have built a low dividing wall between themselves and Mongolia (I think ! LOL )

Since Trump first spoke of the WALL and fails to depart from the singular word wall drives me nuts.

Considering the terrain and distances it seems logical to place barriers which best suite the purpose desired, to stop illegal crossing of the border. He seems fixated on the southern border as there is a huge problem with legal visitors overstaying their visas. Real help would be a reliable way for employers to check job applicants and enforce laws which prohibit hiring of such people.

Seems uses of physical barriers is not unique.

World of walls: How 65 countries have erected fences on their borders
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1522437 wrote: That one worked as designed for two thousand years, I'd not knock the notion by comparing the President's plan to the Great Wall of China.

The Israeli Palestinian wall seems remarkably effective too, if you need another example.

Whether a wall is a morally acceptable solution is a different matter, but they do seem to work.

Sorry Mr. spot, but I was not 'knocking' or 'comparing' the Great Wall Of China. I will admit to being a little sarky when I said 'low dividing wall' but that was purely for President Trump's benefit. I was suggesting that Pres. Trump should maybe consult with the obvious masters at the art of effective wall building, just to give him some idea of how to build an effective and long lasting substantial wall. With him organising things, his 'wall' may possibly outlast his term of office !
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1522445 wrote: Sorry Mr. spot, but I was not 'knocking' or 'comparing' the Great Wall Of China. I will admit to being a little sarky when I said 'low dividing wall' but that was purely for President Trump's benefit. I was suggesting that Pres. Trump should maybe consult with the obvious masters at the art of effective wall building, just to give him some idea of how to build an effective and long lasting substantial wall. With him organising things, his 'wall' may possibly outlast his term of office !

The word that struck me was "consult with the Chinese as they have built" - my English teacher told me the present tense implies a recent action. Using the same construction technique would not be wise. If you laid all the died-on-the-job builders of the Great Wall of China end to end, they'd stretch the entire length of the Great Wall of China. That's a surprisingly accurate estimate, if you fancy checking it. Not as tight a packing as the Japanese achieved in Burma on their railway but close enough.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1522441 wrote: Since Trump first spoke of the WALL and fails to depart from the singular word wall drives me nuts.

Considering the terrain and distances it seems logical to place barriers which best suite the purpose desired, to stop illegal crossing of the border. He seems fixated on the southern border as there is a huge problem with legal visitors overstaying their visas. Real help would be a reliable way for employers to check job applicants and enforce laws which prohibit hiring of such people.

We already have the tools in place "for employers to check job applicants and enforce laws which prohibit hiring of such people."

What we seem to lack is a way to monitor and manage employers who do not employ those tool and choose to hire the undocumented workers.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Anne Coulter went into a rant on the Bill Mahr show claiming that if anyone should resist a barrier it would be people such as herself because, as she stated, and I'm paraphrasing, that due to illegal immigration the landscaping at her residence looks great and is cheaper than it would be otherwise.

What Coulter and her followers miss in her statements is that she has the power to refuse the service providers that employ illegal immigrants and thus reduce the incentive for immigration but chooses not to. Coulter instead wants the government to force her to make that decision, because, it appears, she's incapable of resisting cheap labor to legal labor. Conservatives seem to really like government rules, which is rather odd for a party that dislikes regulations.

Lots of hypocrisy.

On the one hand, capitalists preach the power of the competitive structure of market forces and yet complain when it doesn't suit their bigotry.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1522450 wrote: We already have the tools in place "for employers to check job applicants and enforce laws which prohibit hiring of such people."

What we seem to lack is a way to monitor and manage employers who do not employ those tool and choose to hire the undocumented workers.

Understood.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1522437 wrote: That one worked as designed for two thousand years, I'd not knock the notion by comparing the President's plan to the Great Wall of China.

Most of my life I grew up in urban settings where walls gave a sense of privacy in a crowded neighborhood. Then going elsewhere people in similar conditions, had no walls, or fences.

Never understood that. still, don't though where I live most all residents don't have walls or fences. It is a different culture.

Anyway

People here make their living off the land, farming, and ranching and are very protective of their property. It is unrealistic to construct wall or fences to keep trespassers away so we have laws to punish trespassers.

Unless you question the morality of private property, there is no question as to the right of the landowner.

Then I would suggest the same for any nation.

Nations in part are defined by the limits of land it possesses, I find it difficult to find any question of morality in protecting its integrity by walls or other means.
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1522458 wrote: Most of my life I grew up in urban settings where walls gave a sense of privacy in a crowded neighborhood. Then going elsewhere people in similar conditions, had no walls, or fences.

Never understood that. still, don't though where I live most all residents don't have walls or fences. It is a different culture.

Anyway

People here make their living off the land, farming, and ranching and are very protective of their property. It is unrealistic to construct wall or fences to keep trespassers away so we have laws to punish trespassers.

Unless you question the morality of private property, there is no question as to the right of the landowner.

Then I would suggest the same for any nation.

Nations in part are defined by the limits of land it possesses, I find it difficult to find any question of morality in protecting its integrity by walls or other means.

Ah the joy of living in a country where I have a right of access (within certain limits of course - I can't go through crops or let my dog chase the sheep) ) to the hills and glens and landowners can go play with themselves should they ry to stop me.

Land ownership law in the UK is feudal in origin and the powerful took what was once common land. What do native amerians think of the morality of the way white man just took what they wanted? It's a moral minefield.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

[quote spot]The word that struck me was "consult with the Chinese as they have built" - my English teacher told me the present tense implies a recent action.

By the way, I do know that Trump's initials are not R. A. but it just seemed to fit with his way of doing things in America - Pres. R. A. Trump (PRAT). Oh yes, I agree with your fault-finding with regard to my English grammar, Mr. spot, but I ain't changin' it !

Also, BTW, how come you can use the 'bold' facility, and I can't ? I am unable to use any of the presentation facilities that are presented above the space used for typing a post. Neither can I use any 'smilies', but I do realise that you do not like the 'smilies', so you would probably not worry about sorting them out for us poor plebs.
spot

Post by spot »

I wouldn't dream of criticizing your impeccable grammar, I merely indicated how I had understood your sentence. Getting the Chinese wall builders to teach America how to build a wall would be like getting Genghiz Khan to teach them how to organize a rodeo, yes he was good at riding horses with his horde but he did tend to kill a lot of the horde, the bordering nationalities and the horses while doing it.

One dead builder every six feet, the Chinese wall. The Japanese managed one dead prisoner of war for every railway sleeper in Burma. Bad man management in either event. My opinion of Human Resources managers is that they've not changed in the slightest between then and now, it's just what they do.

I'm anxious to get the site's text editor back to click-button highlighting and click-button smilies but it's broken and I've failed so far to find a fix. I shall continue to try when I have spare days. Adding them by hand with the keyboard is simple enough, they all get sent and stored as plaintext. If you use square brackets instead of round, bold is (b)this(/b), italics use i and underlined use u. Smilies are things from this list: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/smilies.htm

As in :rolleyes: :mad: :eek:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh thank you Mr. spot ! I wanted to copy that lot, but I'm not given the print facility at the moment !
spot

Post by spot »

Memorizing is a wonderful thing.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1522467 wrote: Ah the joy of living in a country where I have a right of access (within certain limits of course - I can't go through crops or let my dog chase the sheep) ) to the hills and glens and landowners can go play with themselves should they ry to stop me.

Land ownership law in the UK is feudal in origin and the powerful took what was once common land.

Whatever works for you is your business.

gmc;1522467 wrote: What do native amerians think of the morality of the way white man just took what they wanted? It's a moral minefield.

Applying modern morals to history at best is problematic.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1522501 wrote: Applying modern morals to history at best is problematic.

Applying history to modern morals is an obligation. What else do you think holocaust studies are for, to pick an example almost at random.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1522502 wrote: Applying history to modern morals is an obligation. What else do you think holocaust studies are for, to pick an example almost at random.

First of all the Holocaust hardly applies. It is part of modern history. A most horrible event done by murderous thugs with delusions of grandeur.

Slavery has been around since forever, even today.

Was it always wrong in every culture, I dunno?

The Bible's been critized because it doesn't condemn slavery but rather puts some rules in the treatment of slaves. Crude by modern standards, but that was thousands of years ago.

Child labor

That also is complicated, I think.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac;1522436 wrote: I think Canada is building their own wall in preparation for the massive liberal evacuation after DFT wins in 2020.

I am trying to talk the Mrs into heading North before the rush.

He's not going to win.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1522512 wrote: He's not going to win.

I do hope you're right.

Though I am not looking forward to the Barroom Brawl that will be the Dem primary run, either.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1522515 wrote: I do hope you're right.

Though I am not looking forward to the Barroom Brawl that will be the Dem primary run, either.

Which one would you pick over him right now?

Warren

Sanders

Harris

Biden

Clinton

All I can think of off the top of my head. You fill in the blank if you wish.
spot

Post by spot »

YZGI;1522516 wrote: Which one would you pick over him right now?

Michelle, of course. Assuming she can find her birth certificate.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1522516 wrote: Which one would you pick over him right now?

Warren

Sanders

Harris

Biden

Clinton

All I can think of off the top of my head. You fill in the blank if you wish.

Any one of them would get my vote over him.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

yzgi;1522516 wrote: which one would you pick over him right now?

Warren

sanders

harris

biden

clinton

all i can think of off the top of my head. You fill in the blank if you wish.

none
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I'd vote for my morning bowel movement before I'd vote for Trump.

Return to “Current Events”