How lies become truth in online

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I wonder how many if any stories I bought into? Being a Facebook story would be my first alarm bell. Really I believe I know people who would pass such stuff on.

‘Nothing on this page is real’

NORTH WATERBORO, Maine — The only light in the house came from the glow of three computer monitors, and Christopher Blair, 46, sat down at a keyboard and started to type. His wife had left for work and his children were on their way to school, but waiting online was his other community, an unreality where nothing was exactly as it seemed. He logged onto his website and began to invent his first news story of the day.

“BREAKING,” he wrote, pecking out each letter with his index fingers as he considered the possibilities. Maybe he would announce that Hillary Clinton had died during a secret overseas mission to smuggle more refugees into America. Maybe he would award President Trump the Nobel Peace Prize for his courage in denying climate change.

A new message popped onto Blair’s screen from a friend who helped with his website. “What viral insanity should we spread this morning?” the friend asked.

“The more extreme we become, the more people believe it,” Blair replied.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1521312 wrote: I wonder how many if any stories I bought into? Being a Facebook story would be my first alarm bell. Really I believe I know people who would pass such stuff on.

‘Nothing on this page is real’

The trouble is, the more people repeat it the more people will believe it - repeat a big lie often enough and it becomes the truth.
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I remember Facebook used to have a feature where they would automatically link to Snopes, right below where someone would copy and paste a blatantly false article. I haven't seen this feature in long time but I liked it. Not sure if they turned off the feature or if people started to avoid the public humiliation. :-)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

yaaarrrgg;1521410 wrote: I remember Facebook used to have a feature where they would automatically link to Snopes, right below where someone would copy and paste a blatantly false article. I haven't seen this feature in long time but I liked it. Not sure if they turned off the feature or if people started to avoid the public humiliation. :-)

It should be mandatory for all public posts :wah:
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bryn Mawr;1521407 wrote: The trouble is, the more people repeat it the more people will believe it - repeat a big lie often enough and it becomes the truth.

The Donald Trump philosophy. It works, but eventually:

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

Abraham Lincoln

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/abra ... oln_110340
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1521415 wrote: The Donald Trump philosophy. It works, but eventually:

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

Abraham Lincoln

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/abra ... oln_110340

I was thinking more Goering myself :-)
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bryn Mawr;1521416 wrote: I was thinking more Goering myself :-)

Godwin's Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1521421 wrote: Godwin's Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Except that I was not trying to win an argument, just provide an attribution for my paraphrased quote :-)
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bryn Mawr;1521424 wrote: Except that I was not trying to win an argument, just provide an attribution for my paraphrased quote :-)

I'm too exhausted for arguments! I should have made clear I only meant that WWII comes up often when making points about the present.

Sorry!

Wait a minute Anne! Still love to bicker with tude dog! Won't be giving that up anytime soon. :-)
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1521429 wrote: I'm too exhausted for arguments! I should have made clear I only meant that WWII comes up often when making points about the present.

Sorry!

Wait a minute Anne! Still love to bicker with tude dog! Won't be giving that up anytime soon. :-)

Aw, you are such a sweetheart.

First of all, I am just so familiar with Godwin's law

Once anybody starts using an analogy to Nazi Germany, i.e. Storm Troopers, Hitler, Gestapo, etc I read that person has lost a chance of reasonable argument.

A lie told often enough becomes the truth

Vladimir Lenin

Just for giggles a few quotes from Joseph Stalin
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1521438 wrote: Aw, you are such a sweetheart.

First of all, I am just so familiar with Godwin's law

Once anybody starts using an analogy to Nazi Germany, i.e. Storm Troopers, Hitler, Gestapo, etc I read that person has lost a chance of reasonable argument.

A lie told often enough becomes the truth

Vladimir Lenin

Just for giggles a few quotes from Joseph Stalin

I stand corrected, I always thought is was one of Goebbels maxims.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1521439 wrote: I stand corrected, I always thought is was one of Goebbels maxims.

He made it famous.

I doubt many famous quotes are totally original. When it comes to that particular one my first thought is Goebbels.

On other sites, it was my habit to equate the Soviet Union to Nazi Germany as opposed to bringing up the Goodwins's Law.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1521439 wrote: I stand corrected, I always thought is was one of Goebbels maxims.

Don Trump wants a border wall and threatens to shut the government down if he doesn't 5 billion dollars he is asking for.

Listening to pro Don supporters argue that 5 billion dollars in a trillion dollar plus budget isn't too much to ask.

That reminded me of a quote "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you're talking real money."

Couldn't remember who said that so I looked it up.

Misattributed

A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you're talking real money.

Although often quoted, it seems Dirksen never actually said this. The Dirksen Congressional Research Center made an extensive search when fully 25% of enquiries to them were about the quotation. They could find Dirksen did say "a billion here, a billion there", and things close to that, but not the "pretty soon you're talking real money" part. They had one gentleman report to them he had asked Dirksen about it on an airflight and received the reply: "Oh, I never said that. A newspaper fella misquoted me once, and I thought it sounded so good that I never bothered to deny it."

To me, it will always be Sen. Dirksen.

I am putting that in my signature.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So the latest tactic:

Seems his loyal followers are doing a GoFundMe page to get him the money for the wall.

they are up to 7.4 million, so far.

A little over 4.9 Billion to go.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The thing that concerns me most about a wall is not the idea of stopping migrants - I doubt anyone really believes that. People tend to understand how to use ladders & aeroplanes, but that of how it will affect wildlife. What about the herds of Bison, Horses, and other such indigenous fauna? They don't understand man-made borders.

Return to “Current Events”