Free labor

tude dog

Free labor

Post by tude dog »

It started way back in the 70's with self-serve gasoline pumps.

A few days ago went to pick up my wife at the airport. I left way early and on the way stopped at a Walmart to pick up some fried chicken pieces to take and eat at the airport.

I had to scan bag and enter my money into a machine. I dunno, I was used to a checker to do that for me.

Walmart to raise its starting wage to $11, give some employees bonuses following tax bill passage

Not to pick in Walmart but such nonservice apparently is the norm.

I know I don't get out much but the last time I was at a major supermarket food store they had the same, no customer service.

There was a time I could go to a travel agent and get my ticket, go to the airport and get on a plane.

Now it is not the TSA which I despise, but the no service airlines I do my best to passively annoy.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Free labor

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1520868 wrote: It started way back in the 70's with self-serve gasoline pumps.

A few days ago went to pick up my wife at the airport. I left way early and on the way stopped at a Walmart to pick up some fried chicken pieces to take and eat at the airport.

I had to scan bag and enter my money into a machine. I dunno, I was used to a checker to do that for me.

Walmart to raise its starting wage to $11, give some employees bonuses following tax bill passage

Not to pick in Walmart but such nonservice apparently is the norm.

I know I don't get out much but the last time I was at a major supermarket food store they had the same, no customer service.

There was a time I could go to a travel agent and get my ticket, go to the airport and get on a plane.

Now it is not the TSA which I despise, but the no service airlines I do my best to passively annoy.

I know what you mean. Though, I LIKE being able to hit the self-checkout at the grocer or Walmart and such when I only have a few things.

Most of the checkers don't add much to the experience. Unless it the little town grocer in Niwot. They always have time to chat a bit, and know what is going on around town and seem to enjoy chatting with the customers.

As for Airlines, traveling for work, I still go to the travel agent online and let them arrange everything so it is all in line with Corporate Policy.

For personal travel, I try to avoid Airlines. When I have to use them, I get what I need from their website. Air travel is best these days if it doesn't get too personal.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Free labor

Post by spot »

tude dog;1520868 wrote: I had to scan bag and enter my money into a machine. I dunno, I was used to a checker to do that for me.It's the only way I know to get rid of all my small change. I take a pocketful now and then and the self-checkout eats it all. The cashier on a till never put up with that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Wandrin

Free labor

Post by Wandrin »

I prefer the self checkout kiosks at the grocery store. The lines are shorter and it generally seems to be less hassle.

I like the self checkout stations at the library. It is fast and easy.

I look forward to the improvements to the systems they make next.

on edit:

I must say though, that during a recent wander through Oregon, that being so used to self-service gas stations, it felt so luxurious when I pulled into a gas station and 3 people ran out, one pumped the diesel fuel, one had the requisite long handled scrubber for the windshield, and one did the rear windows and mirrors.
Clodhopper

Free labor

Post by Clodhopper »

Fewer and fewer jobs. The trend seems set to continue into white collar jobs with the increasing sophistication of AI. I think big social change inevitable - it's very possible Trump and Brexit are Luddite reactions against this trend. (I had more sympathy for the Luddites: they at least aimed at the right targets)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Saint_

Free labor

Post by Saint_ »

Clodhopper;1520933 wrote: Fewer and fewer jobs. The trend seems set to continue into white collar jobs with the increasing sophistication of AI. I think big social change inevitable - it's very possible Trump and Brexit are Luddite reactions against this trend. (I had more sympathy for the Luddites: they at least aimed at the right targets)

Nailed it. I teach Night School to pick up extra money. I used to actually teach a class at Night School. I actually had a lesson plan, worked one-on-one with students, and graded papers.

Now I just check their progress on a computer. Rarely, they ask question about a computer question, then we look at it from across the room on different screens. don't even know all the student's names...

Welcome to the blasted, bloody future.

Return to “Current Events”