Chaotic start - to supreme court hearing

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

OK, it is obvious that the Democratic Party is suffering some kind of seizure over the nomination of a Supreme Court Justice. The fear is this particular nominee has shown a tendency to respect the text of the Constitution. Bad news for those who are used to using the courts to legislate when they don't have the popular vote.

Try listening and it does no good for the protesters to annoy those who want to watch.

Acting like jerks really advance their cause?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I did watch big chunks of it. If you want a supreme court judge that believes the president is above the law and supports judgements that supports big business against ordinary people then it would seem you don't care about your own constitution. You can look at what he says and has done as an indication as to what he would do. The Republicans are quite clearly going to railroad this through I hope ordinary americans are watching.

The right to protest is only one of the things trump wants to curtail.

"Bad news for those who are used to using the courts to legislate when they don't have the popular vote."

Actually, Trump lost the popular vote he won the electoral college one.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1520593 wrote: I did watch big chunks of it. If you want a supreme court judge that believes the president is above the law and supports judgements that supports big business against ordinary people then it would seem you don't care about your own constitution. You can look at what he says and has done as an indication as to what he would do. The Republicans are quite clearly going to railroad this through I hope ordinary americans are watching.

"Bad news for those who are used to using the courts to legislate when they don't have the popular vote."

gmc

Post by gmc »

the good thing about trump is he might motivate the apathetic to start taking an interest in politics. I think we might be in a bigger pile of **** than you are.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1520596 wrote: the good thing about trump is he might motivate the apathetic to start taking an interest in politics. I think we might be in a bigger pile of **** than you are.

Other than nominating Kavanaugh, what does Trump have to do with the confirmation process?

These hearings have ZERO to do about Trump but Judge Kavanaugh. As of now, I know of nothing which should disqualify him from the seat on the Supreme Court. In fact, he is not only qualified but whose views on Constitutional law seems spot on.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Why make it seem that there is something to hide about his background by withholding 100,000 pages of his record? This is a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the country with the ability to negate or overturn the work of Congress - it's not a small thing.

If there is nothing to hide, why make it look shady by withholding the documents?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Trump's pick.

nuff said.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1520597 wrote: Other than nominating Kavanaugh, what does Trump have to do with the confirmation process?

These hearings have ZERO to do about Trump but Judge Kavanaugh. As of now, I know of nothing which should disqualify him from the seat on the Supreme Court. In fact, he is not only qualified but whose views on Constitutional law seems spot on.

Seriously? You believe the president should be above the law? Which is a position he seems to hold to. If he ends up being one of the judges to decide such an issue surely that kind of matters a lot.

Still, it's not really an issue I feel qualified to enter into a discussion about with you especially as I'm not American. You seem to hold some views which I struggle to understand and no doubt you could say the same about some of mine. On the other hand that makes the discussion more interesting, it's really boring if everybody holds the same opinions - you don't get to test them.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

My impression is that the reasons Kavanaugh is getting a hard time are:

1) He's Trump's pick. That is a cause for concern in itself, with such a completely corrupt President.

2) The Republicans set up this playbook by their treatment of Obama's picks a few years back. It can't be as bad though since Trump's stooges control both houses SO all the Dems are doing is making a noise, really. They aren't going to affect the result the way the Republicans did under Obama. Say goodbye to women's rights.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1520611 wrote: Seriously? You believe the president should be above the law? Which is a position he seems to hold to. If he ends up being one of the judges to decide such an issue surely that kind of matters a lot.

That is an amazing statement. Where do you come up with this stuff?

gmc;1520611 wrote: Still, it's not really an issue I feel qualified to enter into a discussion about with you especially as I'm not American. You seem to hold some views which I struggle to understand and no doubt you could say the same about some of mine. On the other hand that makes the discussion more interesting, it's really boring if everybody holds the same opinions - you don't get to test them.

One of the first things I did when going on the internet was to look for places to test my views and self.

Learned a lot and in some ways altered my attitude.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1520593 wrote: I did watch big chunks of it. If you want a supreme court judge that believes the president is above the law and supports judgements that supports big business against ordinary people then it would seem you don't care about your own constitution. You can look at what he says and has done as an indication as to what he would do. The Republicans are quite clearly going to railroad this through I hope ordinary americans are watching.

The appointment isn't about Trump. It is about confirming a Supreme Court Nominee.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Wandrin;1520600 wrote: Why make it seem that there is something to hide about his background by withholding 100,000 pages of his record? This is a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the country with the ability to negate or overturn the work of Congress - it's not a small thing.

If there is nothing to hide, why make it look shady by withholding the documents?

What do you expect to see from legal advice? Do you really expect anybody to read so to find anything of interest?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1520618 wrote: One of the first things I did when going on the internet was to look for places to test my views and self.

Learned a lot and in some ways altered my attitude.

You are still very enigmatic.

Maybe a retest is due.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

At least in my lifetime began with the 1987 Robert Bork Supreme Court nomination.

Within 45 minutes of Bork's nomination to the Court, Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) took to the Senate floor with a strong condemnation of Bork in a nationally televised speech, declaring:

Robert Bork's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens' doors in midnight raids, and schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists could be censored at the whim of the Government, and the doors of the Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens.[6]

The only thing missing from the slander and personal attacks were theatrics in the hearing rooms.

I have heard of more amiable Senate in the past with examples of strong bipartisan support. Anyway, here are the stats.

Supreme Court Nominations: present-1789
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

This appointment doesn't seem to past the 'sniff' test does it?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

magentaflame;1520628 wrote: This appointment doesn't seem to past the 'sniff' test does it?

How's that?
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by tude dog

It's one of the things that has come up during his hearings. He is on record as arguing that presidents should be above the law.

https://www.thenation.com/article/brett ... ident-law/

There are several other sources if you feel like cross-referencing.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1520643 wrote: posted by tude dog

It's one of the things that has come up during his hearings. He is on record as arguing that presidents should be above the law.

https://www.thenation.com/article/brett ... ident-law/

There are several other sources if you feel like cross-referencing.

Nowhere in your post does he say the President is above the law.

Kavanaugh says President not above the law
gmc

Post by gmc »

"“I believe it vital that the President be able to focus on his never-ending tasks with as few distractions as possible. The country wants the President to be ‘one of us’ who bears the same responsibilities of citizenship that all share. But I believe that the President should be excused from some of the burdens of ordinary citizenship while serving in office,” argued Kavanaugh in the law-review article. He then asserted that “the indictment and trial of a sitting President, moreover, would cripple the federal government, rendering it unable to function with credibility in either the international or domestic arenas. Such an outcome would ill serve the public interest, especially in times of financial or national security crisis.”"

Yes, he did. For some reason, I can't use either quote box or change the fonts. Bear in mind that means he could not be impeached should the mueller investigation came up with anything criminal. Trump also believes he can pardon anyone he likes.

Here's a novel idea for you. He is lying to get appointed.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1520686 wrote: "“I believe it vital that the President be able to focus on his never-ending tasks with as few distractions as possible. The country wants the President to be ‘one of us’ who bears the same responsibilities of citizenship that all share. But I believe that the President should be excused from some of the burdens of ordinary citizenship while serving in office,” argued Kavanaugh in the law-review article. He then asserted that “the indictment and trial of a sitting President, moreover, would cripple the federal government, rendering it unable to function with credibility in either the international or domestic arenas. Such an outcome would ill serve the public interest, especially in times of financial or national security crisis.”"

Writing in a law review, he makes a valid observation of a general question, not a decision of law.

gmc;1520686 wrote: Yes, he did. For some reason, I can't use either quote box or change the fonts. Bear in mind that means he could not be impeached should the mueller investigation came up with anything criminal.

ARTICLE II Section 4

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

gmc;1520686 wrote: Trump also believes he can pardon anyone he likes.

Article II Section II "he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."

gmc;1520686 wrote: Here's a novel idea for you. He is lying to get appointed.

No reason he shouldn't be confirmed.
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1520689 wrote:

No reason he shouldn't be confirmed.

From your point of view I would be very much left of centre when it comes to politics. Kavanagh is a right winger by definition someone opposed to democracy, free speech and equal rights for all - including women and the right to choose. Not my problem and really I don't think non Americans are in a position to comment since what you read and hear often bears little reality to what is happening on the ground as it were. But were I American I would be very concerned about the future of democracy in america trump seems to have very little respect for your institutions or the constitution. Bet he gets re-elected as there doesn't seem to be anyone on the democrat side to take him om.

Meanwhile, the UK will cease to exist post brexit but you won't read about that either.

Return to “Current Events”