The Trump visit might be more interesting than we thought...

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

This is not a joke, this is real, as far as I'm aware:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44732754

Now, it still has to be passed to fly by the Met Police and the local flying control, neither of which are noted for their sense of humour so there's a good chance that it won't get more than a few feet off the ground.

It's already been described as the biggest insult to a sitting President ever. Just like to point out it is aimed at Trump, not the Presidency, for avoidance of confusion :)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Well that's freedom of speech for ya !!!

Maybe the man is obsessed with Walls......he wants one at his Irish golf course and ironically at his Scottish course.......because of rising seas...due to global warming it's said.

You couldn't make it up.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Farage is wrong. The british have a long tradition of lampooning the great and the good kowtowing is not a british tradition. If brexit and taking back control means we need to be afraid of offending the likes of trump you can shove it.

Actually trump being given permission to build his course is imo one of the reasons the snp and salmond in particular lost credibility.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

chuckle. I showed the report to my lodger who is completely uninterested in politics and she nearly fell over laughing when she saw Baby Trump so it hits the target in terms of the neutral. She immediately made the point that the way to deal with it would be to go specially to see it and be seen to find it funny. I think she's probably right which makes me hope the rumours I've heard that is exactly what Tump can't do because he really is that thin skinned are true.

Still, if it's true that they needed £1,000 and got 16k through crowdfunding and plan to use the excess money to "haunt" Trump with it, we can imagine him lining up a putt at his golf course in Scotland as into his eye-line floats Baby Trump, giggling protesters winding madly on a winch underneath...:)

They have made efforts to make the visit as protest proof as possible: Blenheim Palace is in big grounds so the public can be kept well away, Windsor is much the same. He could even be helicoptered around if it's felt any motorcade is too obvious a target, with the empty motorcade used as a distraction.

Regarding the irony of Trump applying using climate change as a justification, we can see it. Since I think Trump regards all of that sort of thing as just saying whatever needs to be said to get what he wants, I suspect this is absolutely normal for him and he would see no irony in it. Which just adds to the irony...;)

You know, I do feel sorry for the Presidential Bodyguard detail these days. Taking a bullet for the President of the US is one thing. Taking a bullet for Trump, though...? Do your duty and hope it's a high velocity round...not a nice position to be in.

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

The reaction has been to Crowdfund a Sadiq Khan balloon and that got a lot more cash.

The worlds gone mad.
gmc

Post by gmc »

We're supposedly taking back control and following the will of the people yet our government is terrified the people might not do what they are told and offend an American president.

At least sadig khan will probably be able to take a joke.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Sadiq Khan can say it's nothing to do with him. If anything I'd see the reaction as a win for him: Lots of free publicity for the Mayor of London that comes down to him defending himself and London against Trump's attacks. Trump doesn't need publicity.

Oof. Baking hot here...

gmc

Post by gmc »

Petition to ban Orange walk in Glasgow passes 50,000 signatures | The National

No, it's not to stop trump going for a walk. Personally, I think we should exercise our right of access and have a mass walk across his golf course when he is playing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 40321.html

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

If you told them it WAS to ban Trump how many signatures do you think you would get...;)

Trump has predicted he will find the UK in turmoil. Since he is always right that is exactly what he will see. I'm also sure he's right when he says seeing Putin will be the easy part: "Hey Boss! Things are going great!" That always makes appraisals easier.

I also hear that his recent appointment to the Supreme Court wrote a paper supporting immunity from prosecution for the President and that the President could pardon himself. Interesting...

They are supposed to have all those guns to protect themselves from tyranny. They might need to start using them to do just that.

gmc

Post by gmc »

I'm hoping the prospects of the kind of deal we would get from the US post Brexit and the sight of theresa may fawning over trump might appall even the hardest brexiteer.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/news-tru ... ocid=wispr

What a pity the sun recorded the interview then.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Ahhh thats nothin!....Melbourne mid 1960's....(remember we didnt have much of a population back then)....750,000 give or take ten or twenty...chanted...HEY! HEY! LBJ....HOW MANY KIDS DID YOU KILL TODAY?!

Paint bombed his car and attacked his security. It went off in a big way.

Its good to see Britain is doing its bit to stop self centred arse holes killing us all off.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

gmc;1519924 wrote: I'm hoping the prospects of the kind of deal we would get from the US post Brexit and the sight of theresa may fawning over trump might appall even the hardest brexiteer.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/news-tru ... ocid=wispr

What a pity the sun recorded the interview then.

I didnt see any"fawning"....what i did see though was british polite indifference. Seem to put him off a bit in that press conference.

He dropped his "very's"...and "greats" and only used his "tremendouses"
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
gmc

Post by gmc »

You kind of missed the point that the interview with the sun was recorded and available to watch if you want to. I suppose his followers will not care about the truth of the matter. He has basically put the boot in for any trade deal with the US post brexit. If brexit goes ahead the way the hard right want it we are truly stuffed. The so-called special relationship - a term that makes me cringe every time I hear it- is an abusive one we should really stop pretending there is one.

http://www.thenational.scot/news/163541 ... onference/

may is pandering to him maybe fawning was the wrong word to use but not by much.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, I've shifted my opinion a bit: Trump is more evil and less a creature of impulse than I had thought. He has no concept of the truth other than "what suits him". The Sun claimed they printed the whole interview. Now, the Sun is a right wing rag of the worst sort. It does regularly distort stories to suit the right wing agenda. It supports people like Trump and distorts to suit him! There is NO WAY they would distort to make Trump look bad because they agree with him!

Wholly owned by Murdoch, of course. The Sun, I mean. Amusing that Trump got his timings wrong and didn't realise the story would be published that night.

Trump's blatant misogyny is now obvious: The two leaders he attacked on his trip were female and although he referred to May as wonderful etc it was always as a wonderful woman, he never once that I heard referred to her as a wonderful leader, or PM. That was reserved for Liar Johnson.

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Oh im talking about the footage i saw where someone asked him a question and he did say she was a good "primeminister".

Ahh what the heck anyway...hes heard from the people now.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

gmc;1519939 wrote: You kind of missed the point that the interview with the sun was recorded and available to watch if you want to. I suppose his followers will not care about the truth of the matter. He has basically put the boot in for any trade deal with the US post brexit. If brexit goes ahead the way the hard right want it we are truly stuffed. The so-called special relationship - a term that makes me cringe every time I hear it- is an abusive one we should really stop pretending there is one.

Donald Trump humiliates Theresa May at Chequers conference | The National

may is pandering to him maybe fawning was the wrong word to use but not by much.

Tried the link but as soon as they did the cookies thing they closed it on me....that big privacy thingy in europe isnt applicable here
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Oh, he might have done - I didn't hear everything and was careful to say "that I heard". It certainly wasn't common. I think I can still safely say that he put the knife in like crazy, backed Johnson for PM, said she'd wrecked Brexit, claimed leadership of lots of people in Europe (the racist right), attacked her and Angela Merkel and got people on the streets in several cities, not just London. Birmingham, Manchester and Newcastle I think were mentioned. Heck, the protest on the first evening at Blenheim was largely the local village, from what I saw.

There's a pro-Trump rally today. I am very curious to see what it is made up of.

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Trump accusing the Sun of fake news is glorious. I haven't seen yet how the Sun has reacted but it is just lovely seeing them hoist with their own petard. :) I'm considering emailing them accusing them of being filthy communists for lying about the President...

edit: A quick scan of their site suggests they are ignoring it completely (Trump accusing them of fake news, I mean)

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

There have been comments I've seen (not here, on tv or online elsewhere) asking why people are so anti Trump, when worse dictators with more blood on their hands don't draw such protests. It's even been called hypocritical. But to me there's a difference - none of these dictators were the leader of the free world.

This is where, I think, the Presidency does come into it. What that protest was saying, to a very great extent, is that many people do not consider Trump fit to be President or fit to lead the free world. Since we are part of that free world we have a right to comment on a leader who is ours too, whether we like it our not.

With previous Presidents I may or may not have agreed with their policies. I may even have been scathing about their intelligence. But I never had a sense before this President that we should not be involved in any venture he proposes even before he proposes it because he is totally corrupt.

I do not oppose or lack respect for the Presidency. But Trump cannot be tolerated. He, more than anyone else, is showing a lack of respect for the Presidency.

The President gropes and abuses women and grooms the young to abuse also.

The President approves cruelty to children as an acceptable way to expedite policy.

The President is proven liar. Worse, he has no regard for the truth whatever, beyond it serving him.

I could go on, but isn't that enough to make my point? And he's only just getting started, this isn't the effects of being in politics, this is what he brings from outside politics and ADDS to the Presidency. The fact his followers now regard him as a figure of religious authority is very worrying. The foundations of totalitarian America have always existed; now they are building the walls and putting in the services.

It might be worth keeping an eye out for examples of fuhrerprinzip (sp?): the idea of acting without the leader's explicit authority but in line with the known ideas and policies of the Leader, confident that the Leader will approve what you have done since it is in line with his policies. HOW something is achieved does not matter, just the fact it IS achieved (the end justifies the means).

The cruelty to children policy might actually be an example.

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Omg....the man is a freaking imbecile! Why did he just do that to the queen?...like seriously?

Hey, just out of interest....would the line of royal guards have been within their rights to shoot him?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Only if the Queen ordered it. ;)

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

magentaflame;1519950 wrote: Omg....the man is a freaking imbecile! Why did he just do that to the queen?...like seriously?

Hey, just out of interest....would the line of royal guards have been within their rights to shoot him?

I wish.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

A whole new conspiracy !

That man got between her and her guards. They lost sight of her. They believed on reasonable grounds she was in danger (lets face it she was walking with Trump). They shoot him.

If America has a problem with that....it could be argued that they saved America the fee for an assassin....and if that doesnt suffice...they can say its fake news he's not really dead and that he has gone to live with elvis down on the farm.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Yeah, I'd go with that.

Was very disappointed with Greenpeace: they breach the security cordon around Trumpton-in-Scotland with a powered glider, get within a hundred metres or so - and deploy a vey poor banner. Great. Why the heck didn't they drop a whale on him?

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Flight weight ratio.......geesh! Its not an african swallow you know!

;)
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

He could have towed it in under a balloon then cut the string...

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well now, May bites back:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politi ... -eu-advice

In case you can't open the link, it is May on the Andrew Marr show (a weekly political show. Marr is a seasoned political commentator) revealing the hard advice Trump gave her. That alone is not normal by usual diplomatic standards, but then then she and Marr pretty much laugh out loud the advice is so stupid. The advice was to sue the EU.

Edit: The advice would appeal to many brexiters though. So stupid is perhaps the wrong word. In practical terms what sort of a relationship could we expect with the EU if we sued them? Look at deeds done and the effect of Trump's visit looks very like an attempt to boost the brexiters, knife May and widen the gap between the EU and UK (which would suit Putin). Whether Trump's endorsement has done Johnson any favours is questionable and if people get the idea that Brexit is simply a choice between the EU and Trump I suspect most would choose the EU. I could be wrong.

It certainly doesn't make me feel any more comfortable about the Trump/Putin meeting in which they will be alone and there is no record. The most positive thing I can say about Trump is that he is a security risk. At the other end of the scale I suspect he is a traitor working for Putin not least because if you stand back and look at who benefits from Trump's actions around the world there are two clear beneficiaries: 1) the Trump family and 2) Putin.

gmc

Post by gmc »

magentaflame;1519943 wrote: Tried the link but as soon as they did the cookies thing they closed it on me....that big privacy thingy in europe isnt applicable here

Try this youtube link for the actual interview.

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Wow...listened to that...what a condescending little prick!
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Speaking as someone who is still a member of the EU, I do not consider US standards as good enough for UK people especially in regards to cheap food.

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Clodhopper;1519985 wrote: Speaking as someone who is still a member of the EU, I do not consider US standards as good enough for UK people especially in regards to cheap food.

My American daughter says they don't 'do' cheese, and 'cider' is apple juice, bread and cakes never go bad.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bruv;1519991 wrote: My American daughter says they don't 'do' cheese, and 'cider' is apple juice, bread and cakes never go bad.

Oh they go bad alright. seen the experiments?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The worst part is that he accused the Sun of doing Fake News, saying that he never said any such things - then they come up with the recording.

Now, I'm no fan of the Sun, and it's true to say that they've done more than their fair share of Fake News Stories, but this most certainly is not one of them.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

magentaflame;1520025 wrote: Oh they go bad alright. seen the experiments?

But it takes 3 months ?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1520046 wrote: The worst part is that he accused the Sun of doing Fake News, saying that he never said any such things - then they come up with the recording.

Now, I'm no fan of the Sun, and it's true to say that they've done more than their fair share of Fake News Stories, but this most certainly is not one of them.

They tape everything as the Sun.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Bruv;1520050 wrote: They tape everything as the Sun.

The thing is, his base in America see Trump calling it fake news and accept that then the news cycle moves on and they never hear the corrections etc (and probably wouldn't believe them if they did) 98% of Republicans still approve of him. Largely I'm guessing because of his credit fuelled spending spree (see my comments elsewhere about him buying popularity).

Now he's picking fights with Iran. Easy target.

Incidentally, Johnson is looking increasingly Trump-like in his politics. Expect more far right populism here.

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Clodhopper;1520061 wrote: Incidentally, Johnson is looking increasingly Trump-like in his politics. Expect more far right populism here.

Remembering a heated arguement with a workmate 30 plus years ago as he laid into trades unions wrecking the country.

I said I feared the right wing a lot more, because they have the power, money and network................I am extremely unhappy at being proved correct.

They scare the life out of me.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Bruv;1520063 wrote: Remembering a heated arguement with a workmate 30 plus years ago as he laid into trades unions wrecking the country.

I said I feared the right wing a lot more, because they have the power, money and network................I am extremely unhappy at being proved correct.

They scare the life out of me.

And me. The only part I'd disagree about is that they didn't have the money. Now they do. Part of that I think is that the rich backers decided Brexit was the time to go for it and partly because I've seen two serious people in interviews* state matter of factly that Putin is funding the far right here and in the US. (Also, incidentally, a way in which Putin helps Trump that isn't strictly collusion)

* These were both military historians, both currently active. One was a visiting fellow at Oxford (which means somebody is paying for them to be there to do research, they are not primarily associated with in this case Oxford and they are doing work at the same sort of level as the lecturers rather than students). They usually aren't active members of the intelligence community though they sometimes have been and they do get asked their opinions by the intelligence and military community if their fields happen to be relevant. If they are saying Putin is funding the far right they have good reasons. (It still doesn't mean 100% they are right but it does mean that intelligent people whose professional concern this is, have reason to believe it. That's better than most of us can do)

Return to “Current Events”