John McCain Brain Cancer

Clodhopper

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Clodhopper »

I don't always agree with his politics but he's a good man and I'm desperately sorry to see this.

He represents to me the good side of America: the kindness, the generosity, the sense of justice. At times like this in particular we need him, and more like him.

John McCain has brain cancer, his office says - BBC News
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
flopstock

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by flopstock »

I'm glad he sought treatment. His questioning during the Comey hearing back in June had me seriously concerned for his health. I had never seen him like that.

I hope he wins this fight.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by spot »

He's 80. What constitutes a win?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by tude dog »

spot;1511062 wrote: He's 80. What constitutes a win?

Same as of he was 8.

He want's to live and has family and friends who would like to see him beat this and live.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by spot »

I can't imagine why. Being able to step away at 80 instead of suffering twenty years' mental disintegration seems far preferable for family, friends and the 80 year old. Reaching 81 is a sentence, not a milestone.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Ahso! »

The "fight" and "win" attitude concerning cancer is such a commercial hoax and myth. Cancer is not a competitive encounter - it is defined as cell division.

Cancer: An abnormal growth of cells which tend to proliferate in an uncontrolled way and, in some cases, to metastasize (spread).

Medical Definition of Cancer
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by tude dog »

spot;1511066 wrote: I can't imagine why. Being able to step away at 80 instead of suffering twenty years' mental disintegration seems far preferable for family, friends and the 80 year old. Reaching 81 is a sentence, not a milestone.

Patsy Warnick

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Tude Dog

There is no "beating" this cancer. Senator McCain will have the brain cancer removed "as much as possible". Then there is the choice of taking chemo & radiation.

I say "choice" because the quality of life during the treatments.

This form of cancer has a limited life span - Senator McCain has @ 15 months - 2 years.

I will pray

Patsy
tude dog

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by tude dog »

Patsy Warnick;1511072 wrote: Tude Dog

There is no "beating" this cancer. Senator McCain will have the brain cancer removed "as much as possible". Then there is the choice of taking chemo & radiation.

I say "choice" because the quality of life during the treatments.

This form of cancer has a limited life span - Senator McCain has @ 15 months - 2 years.

I will pray

Patsy

Fight, beat, whatever.

because the quality of life during the treatments

He has plenty of family support if needed to make decisions for him.
Patsy Warnick

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Tude Dog

Yes, McCain has a large family support - this cancer will involve/ affect them all.

McCain shouldn't be trusted to make any decisions from this moment on.

I knew there was something very wrong during the Comey questioning.

You understand Dr.'s will have to drill & remove a portion of his skull to remove a portion of the cancer in the brain mass. He then has to wear a hard cover cap over the skull and that is wrapped up in gauge - like a Q-tip. Depending on the swelling/drainage (tubed) (shank) etc. will determine the next step of treatment.

He could lose his sight - body functions - simple motor skills.

This will be a family affair - unfortunate for all.

Senator McCain our war hero will not be able to walk way from this.

It's sad indeed

Patsy
spot

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by spot »

I'm still trying to work out whether tude claims Senator McCain is being treated at the Carson Cancer Center at Faith Regional Health Services. I have never yet understood any of his picture-only responses.
tude dog

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by tude dog »

Patsy Warnick;1511081 wrote: Tude Dog

Yes, McCain has a large family support - this cancer will involve/ affect them all.

McCain shouldn't be trusted to make any decisions from this moment on.

I knew there was something very wrong during the Comey questioning.

Senator McCain our war hero will not be able to walk way from this.

It's sad indeed

Patsy

I was talking about his survival, not any political questions. I don't know what, if any mechanism to remove an ill Senator. I do know it is not up to me.
spot

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by spot »

Teddy Kennedy went visibly downhill while still in office.
LarsMac

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by LarsMac »

I hope that Senator McCain resigns so that he can concentrate on dealing with the Cancer. I just hope they can find someone of his caliber to fill his seat.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Ahso! »

Indeed! Non-stop drumbeats to war as well as a decision-making process that brings the likes of people such as Sarah Palin on the national and world stage are attributes in short supply in American politics. A neocon of rare talent?

I'm trying to recall - what else is it John McCain accomplished that's worthy of our praise? I'll miss seeing the smug look he enjoyed wearing on his face and hearing the condescending tone he used to communicate to the American people.

More McCains - more! We'll still have John's lovely daughter, Meghan, and Lindsey Graham to gaze upon and listen to.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by gmc »

Bet he's glad he's not one of those dependent on obamacare. Unless I'm wrong and someone who could not affird health care would beb treated regardless in which case I apologise for the crac k./
tude dog

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by tude dog »

spot;1511082 wrote: I'm still trying to work out whether tude claims Senator McCain is being treated at the Carson Cancer Center at Faith Regional Health Services.

What are you talking about?

spot;1511082 wrote: I have never yet understood any of his picture-only responses.

I'll try to do better, just for you.
spot

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by spot »

tude dog;1511142 wrote: What are you talking about? You posted a photo of Johnny Carson, you strange person - what else am I meant to assume in this context. Johnny Carson financed, endowed, endorsed and gave his name to the the Carson Cancer Center at Faith Regional Health Services, and John McCain has cancer. Was that not the reason for your unlabelled photo? If it wasn't, what was the photo of Johnny Carson meant to tell us?
LarsMac

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1511144 wrote: You posted a photo of Johnny Carson, you strange person - what else am I meant to assume in this context. Johnny Carson financed, endowed, endorsed and gave his name to the the Carson Cancer Center at Faith Regional Health Services, and John McCain has cancer. Was that not the reason for your unlabelled photo? If it wasn't, what was the photo of Johnny Carson meant to tell us?

That was "Carnac the Magnificent"

Carnac was a "mystic from the East" who could psychically "divine" unknown answers to unseen questions.

I believe that was more along the lines of the message Tude was trying to convey.
- DH Lawrence
spot

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1511146 wrote: That was "Carnac the Magnificent"
And I'm in England, and that was from US TV in the sixties, and I'm meant to know that?

It scarcely qualifies as communication, does it. I already got bonus points for recognizing Johnny Carson at all.
LarsMac

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1511149 wrote: And I'm in England, and that was from US TV in the sixties, and I'm meant to know that?

It scarcely qualifies as communication, does it. I already got bonus points for recognizing Johnny Carson at all.

Yeah, some things are definitely lost in translation.

But, some day there will be a trivia question about Carnac, and you can thank us for your getting it right. :)
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Bonus Points :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Now that's funny.. Well I'm proud of ya Spot..

It was still a confusing post...

Good luck to the entire McCain Family.

Lars

McCain resigns then how is his position fulfilled/replaced - how does that work?

Patsy
LarsMac

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by LarsMac »

Patsy Warnick;1511152 wrote: Bonus Points :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Now that's funny.. Well I'm proud of ya Spot..

It was still a confusing post...

Good luck to the entire McCain Family.

Lars

McCain resigns then how is his position fulfilled/replaced - how does that work?

Patsy

Generally the State governor can either appoint a replacement or call for an election for a replacement. It can vary by state. Arizona, it seems is one in which the governor would pick his replacement.

And Senator McCain just won a new term in the last election. So, we are talking almost a full six year term.

Apparently, he already went through surgery to remove the stuff. If he can deal with the Chemo and radiation and such, He may stick around.

I wish him luck.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Lars

Thank You

I haven't heard about the surgery yet - by 9 A.M. this morn. our electricity went out until @ 2.. so no news.

You know his skin cancer that was removed off his left side ( this is how all this started) any way that left side never seemed to heal properly - it was always swollen & that bothered me - I didn't think the swelling was right. Not sure who the Gov. will pick to run McCain's term - wasn't sure how that all transpired thanks

All we can do wish the McCain's the best

Patsy
Clodhopper

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Clodhopper »

I saw a prog on Guantanamo some time back. Didn't tell me anything I didn't know, factually, that I can recall, but there was one interview I remember with someone military who worked there who talked about meeting McCain to explain how waterboarding and sleep deprivation and suchlike were justifiable interrogation techniques and not torture at all (which they had talked themselves into believing). McCain apparently listened and replied, "It's all torture," and left. It had a big impact on that person, coming from someone who was also military and who'd been on the receiving end.

Someone had to say it, and he did.

Patsy Warnick

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Patsy Warnick »

McCain is addressing the Senate - he doesn't look that bad.

He has a huge scar on his forehead & a black eye.

McCain went to the Mayo Clinic - wonder why he didn't go to the VA Hospital?

Patsy
LarsMac

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by LarsMac »

Patsy Warnick;1511202 wrote: McCain is addressing the Senate - he doesn't look that bad.

He has a huge scar on his forehead & a black eye.

McCain went to the Mayo Clinic - wonder why he didn't go to the VA Hospital?

Patsy

Having been to a couple of VA hospitals, I think I know the answer to that.

I'm of the opinion that all the money being put into VA medical system would have been better spent in the civilian medical world.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Well

McCain should eat his own food.

Patsy
Ahso!

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Ahso! »

I get all my healthcare from the VA and besides the fact that they appear to care more about behavior than health, and the nurses are control freaks, I've no other complaints. My hearing aids are top-notch and my surgery had gone very well.

Funny thing is that talking to other patients while at the VA hospital we agree that we're cared for well enough. However, the minute I inject the idea of single payer for everyone else, they become defensive. Republican head-nodders no doubt. Republicans love their welfare.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
magentaflame

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by magentaflame »

I don't understand your system. there was a poll done here a little while ago . About Medicare. People would prefer to pay more into medicare levies than go to private health insurance.(everyone who earns over a certain dollar pays an annual levy (around $200 out of their tax rebate) the thing is it pays for everyone . Everyone can use our hospitals and get top notch care without forking out a fortune to do so. As I found out recently, even foreigners to our fair country get free health care in emergencies. No matter the cost. ..... You're welcome! But I do remember in America having to wait for a doctor to see our son IN EMERGENCY and wouldn't do so until they had confirmation of our travel insurance.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Ahso!

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Ahso! »

America has two single-payer systems currently - one is the VA (Veterans Administration) for qualifying veterans and Medicare for qualified elderly and low-income earners. Individual states also have Medicaid, which is really an extension of Medicare. Everyone else pays out of pocket either to an insurance company which colludes with the AMA (American Medical Association) to reduce prices in exchange for buying insurance (prices are artificially inflated in order to provide cover) or pays the inflated prices for care as needed.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Clodhopper

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Clodhopper »

Well this was unexpected!

Cancer-hit Senator John McCain: To hell with loudmouths! - BBC News

Dunno if overseas posters can see the link. It's of Senator McCain on his feet addressing (I assume) the Senate. He's using the occasion to call for an end to the bipartisan tactics which crippled Obama's administration and is (thankfully imo) crippling this one. While I might agree with the general sentiment, having Trump (or even worse, Pence) in the WH rather neuters the case...

tude dog

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by tude dog »

spot;1511149 wrote: And I'm in England, and that was from US TV in the sixties, and I'm meant to know that?

That is my bad. I was looking for a pic of someone with a crystal ball. I didn't like any of what I saw and remembered Carnak and thought it would convey the same message. I searched and couldn't find any connection between Sen McCain and the Carson Cancer Center at Faith Regional Health Services, I had no idea that Cancer Center had anything to do with Jonny Carson.

Like I said earlier, I could do better.
Clodhopper

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by Clodhopper »

(Like I said earlier, I could do better. Yeah, me too: just realised I duplicated Patsy's post on the previous page...)

LarsMac

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1511062 wrote: He's 80. What constitutes a win?

Living to 90.
- DH Lawrence
spot

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1511296 wrote: Living to 90.

I've seen it tried, I wasn't impressed.

Besides...

Certain old men prefer to rise at dawn, taking a cold bath and a long

walk with an empty stomach and otherwise mortifying the flesh. They

then point with pride to these practices as the cause of their sturdy

health and ripe years; the truth being that they are hearty and old,

not because of their habits, but in spite of them. The reason we find

only robust persons doing this thing is that it has killed all the

others who have tried it.

Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
magentaflame

John McCain Brain Cancer

Post by magentaflame »

Lol. I like that.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!

Return to “Current Events”