Stop this hideous, depraved crime !

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

We must stop this hideous, depraved, life-destroying crime...............................

I just signed the petition, “UK Parliament: Prohibit the purchase of Acid to those without a licence.” I think this is important. Will you sign it too? There seems to be an ever-increasing 'insanity' creeping into our lives. What makes 'young' thugs throw a corrosive liquid into the face of a total stranger ? Why ? What 'joy' do such perpetrators get from performing such a vicious and depraved action ? It's madness.

I'm so glad that we have a car with air conditioning - we can drive with our car windows closed, in populated areas !

Here’s the link: WARNING - A very graphic photograph (in case you can be upset by such pics)

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament- ... =178834349

Thanks,

Gill

That is such a pretty face to have it destroyed by some deranged thug.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Post by spot »

Good lord.

I don't have a license and I used a litre of the stuff this month.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1510961 wrote: Good lord.

If you have a legitimate reason for obtaining a corrosive substance, and can satisfy the police, then there should be no reason why you should not have possession of such a substance. Of course there should be restrictions and regulations on secure storage. But you would realise all this wouldn't you Mr. spot, so please don't wind people up.

My father was a country town pharmacist, and he was required to supply certain poisons to certain people. These people were on a list, overseen by the police, and their premises regularly checked for safety and security purposes. My father was also checked on a very regular basis and he had to keep a very accurate book with full details of who, what and why and the signature of the person requiring the substance. He also had a special secure steel cabinet for such substances, which was also thoroughly checked on a very regular basis.

He also sold corrosive substances, but although there was only a minimum age limit for the obtaining of these substances, my father was very particular to whom he sold them to and required to know the reason for a person wanting such corrosive substances. Other establishments, such as ironmongers etc. would probably not be so fastidious as my father was, and probably still aren't. Therefore it would seem sensible to introduce stiffer regulations in an effort to stem this nasty trend.

I am sure that people who need to use corrosive substances for their work or legitimate and legal requirements would welcome extra regulations, for their own protection.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1510962 wrote: If you have a legitimate reason for obtaining a corrosive substance, and can satisfy the police, then there should be no reason why you should not have possession of such a substance. Of course there should be restrictions and regulations on secure storage. But you would realise all this wouldn't you Mr. spot, so please don't wind people up.
I'm not winding anyone up. I have had, all my life, the right to buy and use the stuff, and I'm not going to go and justify myself before a police constable in order to carry on doing it.

If he wants to prevent some 16 year old using it in the course of thieving then he should do his bloody job and prevent the crime by proper policing methods, and if he's not competent to do that then he should step aside and be a bus driver while someone competent does the policing bit.

Making me apply for a license to buy, store and use a litre of acid isn't going to prevent any criminal in the country from using it without a license, all it's going to do is restrict my existing freedom.

Are you going to put a license restriction on toilet bleach too, Gill? Have you any idea what that does to unprotected skin and eyes?

Are you going to petition for a license restriction to buy, store and use a kitchen knife? I don't even know how many kitchen knives I own. Do you? Should you?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1510961 wrote: Good lord.

I am interested to know what you are using it for..............if you don't mind.

I have used it for clearing urinal pipe work and u bends......( you couldn't believe it)
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1510964 wrote: I am interested to know what you are using it for..............if you don't mind.

I have used it for clearing urinal pipe work and u bends......( you couldn't believe it)

A local business has a tangle of old 2" PVC waste pipe with several U-bends and developed a blockage way down past the first two of them with no access to the pipe beyond that point, with water backing up through overflows after running the tap for a minute. I didn't think the drain cleaner acid would be effective that far from the plug but I blew as much water along as I could, slowly poured an entire litre into the system and left it overnight. Rather surprisingly the tap can now run indefinitely with no backing up or overflow.

I actually put safety goggles and nitrile gloves on to do it, which shows how scary I think that strength of that acid is. I do note, however, that stronger versions of it are already on the hazardous chemicals list and need a police licence to buy, store or use and I have none of that here. What I do have is in a locked room.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Likewise, I've bought packages of the stuff over the counter several times in the past few years and I would have been absolutely stuck if I had not been allowed to.

It's concentrated sulphuric acid, otherwise known as battery acid and you can easily get it from any car battery. Trying to restrict its sale to licensed persons is a nonsense for as long as wet cell batteries are available..
spot

Post by spot »

You can bet it's from old dead car batteries that these hideous depraved criminals are getting it, too. Not shops. The litre bottles I buy probably contain old battery acid from scrap merchants doing tear-down recycling of car parts.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Wonderful, Mr. spot. You're quite right about the toilet bleach - I suppose these bastards can get hold of many different corrosive substances when you stop to think about it. Of course you are quite right about the police. Some of the blame for the increase in lawlessness must lay at the feet of the useless government (they really don't deserve a capital G), for cutting essential funding, but some of the blame must be apportioned to some of the dozey so-called law enforcement officers of this land who just like the uniform and the 'power' that goes with it. I'm sorry to say that there seems to be an ever increasing number of so-called police officers who just go through the motions of policing -"not enough evidence" to pursue a crime.

They 'just went through the motions' when we had a burglary in broad daylight while we were visiting my dying mother ! Wrecked everywhere, obviously looking for money (nobody told them we were broke !). They terrified our large dog by waving a 'night stick' at her to obviously keep her in one room, and they grabbed a large fire extinguisher and sprayed the powder all over the stairway. They broke in by forcing our front door (which we sorted straight away). We preserved a perfect shoe print on our stair carpet, in the dust from the extinguisher, we preserved several finger prints that were on the 'night stick', and one or two other pieces of evidence. Socco arrived the following day (only 18 or so hours after we called the police !). I just don't know why they bothered at all.

They glanced around at the various items we showed them. They didn't bother to take any pictures, or itemise the finger prints. I think they stayed for about 10 minutes ! "Not enough evidence" was their remark to us, and the reason they didn't make much of an effort. We felt very, very let down. It was obvious to us that, unless there's a body involved or a gun or knife, the police won't waste their time on such 'small cases'. Matters not that the trauma caused our dog to have a stroke within the year and die before she had lived her full time, and caused us trauma that our dog and property had been attacked while we were visiting my mother dying in hospital. The police are supposed to protect life and property, but they bloody well don't !
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1510968 wrote: You can bet it's from old dead car batteries that these hideous depraved criminals are getting it, too. Not shops. The litre bottles I buy probably contain old battery acid from scrap merchants doing tear-down recycling of car parts.

I top up forklift batteries too, and know if they are over filled the spillage is very damaging, I put in distilled water but the spillage is acid....................very dangerous.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Oh Gilly, I feel for you.

Think it is that there are far too many (to the authorities) minor crimes that have no chance of being solved.

I had a burglary s few years ago, the amount of time the police were in the house and the follow up doesn't give you a lot of confidence.

Then a few weeks later, when your immediate fears have subsided, the letter arrives offering Victim support opens up the wound again.

I didn't lose much,a few CDs and such like but the feeling you get when returning home and unlocking the door, not knowing who might be in there and that somebody has been and knows me and my family via the photos displayed is frightening.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

It's the first time it's even happened to me but worrying all the same, the boats starter battery was playing up and the kids wanted to borrow her so I replaced it and brought the old one home to recharge. I left it in the garage on a multi-stage charger and that night it exploded - boiling acid flying round is not my idea of fun and the clean up job was no fun either.

From this I learn, if a battery is playing up then dump it (in the right place of course).
spot

Post by spot »

If they make Lithium cells more efficient they'll end up as replacements for dynamite.

At least you had it in the garage rather than the kitchen. Aren't boat batteries bigger than car batteries? Or do you have two with one dedicated to starting the engine.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

It is hideous.

But half the chemicals I use are corrosive. crikey! you can make a bomb out of a bucket of chlorine and another household substance that I won't mention. You'd have to ban all manner of batteries.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1510973 wrote: If they make Lithium cells more efficient they'll end up as replacements for dynamite.

At least you had it in the garage rather than the kitchen. Aren't boat batteries bigger than car batteries? Or do you have two with one dedicated to starting the engine.

One dedicated starter battery (standard car battery) and three leisure batteries that are, indeed larger.
spot

Post by spot »

Chlorine bleach is a dreadful thing to have in a domestic setting and yet families with children just keep it out in the open instead of in a locked area. It will kill if it's swallowed, it will blind people if it gets into their eyes, it blisters skin if mistaken for body lotion. Depending on what you pour into it your room will immediately fill with chlorine gas, or phosgene (one of the Great War's mustard gases), or flames [1] or boiling chloroform [2], all of which can kill everyone present. What people need is educating, not licences.

As for dangerous unlicensed materials, petrol's not safe either. Tipping a litre of petrol onto anyone's head is positively dangerous, especially indoors near a lit hob. Are we going to sign a petition to require police registration and a permit for buying, storing or using petrol?

It'll be tap water after that, mark my words. People could drown and you can carry it about in a bucket.

If you remember how in the Titanic film [3] the Engineer Officer vented boilers to prevent a high-pressure explosion, that's what I'm doing. It's called letting off steam. I might stop eventually when I get past this damnable and unworkable police-register licensing notion. There seems to be an ever-increasing 'insanity' creeping into our lives.

[1]: A kilo of calcium carbide, on sale at Halfords last time I checked and used in pre-war bike lamps.

[2]: As in "never pour a bottle of nail varnish remover into chlorine bleach".

[3]: A Night To Remember. Screenplay by Eric Ambler. Perf. Kenneth More, David McCallum, Honor Blackman, Gerald Harper. 1958. Film.
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's a bit pointless just looking at acid - and it is not made clear what the actual chemical was. Just have a look riund your local diy store or supermarket. Paint stripper, bleach, drain cleaner, oven cleaner there are dozens of items that could be used in this manner you can buy battery acid on line it would be impossible to enforce all you could realistically do is perhaps put an age restriction on it.
minks

Post by minks »

So we list of all these hazards and there are so many more of them out there, and same for "potential" hazards. Just what do we do to keep safe from the misuse?

Educate the right handling and keep the media away from the situations that actually offer up the exact way to "not" handle them.

Stop mass media from posting exactly how to do these "crimes".

Hazardous material is never going away, and anyone who has to use it generally has some kind of training and knowledge of how to use it safely. If the media did not blather details, I bet there would be less incidents of misuse, or usage to cause harm to others.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

Top of my list of hazards would be walking clifftop paths, I have no idea how anyone can do that. I have had vertigo since puberty.

I suspect those who do these crimes learn the techniques from within the criminal fraternity, I doubt whether any of them pick it up from normal sources.

I just watched an insanely unlikely scene in series 2 of Broadchurch in which a murderer on his prison bed flips through family pictures on his smartphone screen. These screenwriters have no grip on reality at all but even so you'd think the actor would have balked.
minks

Post by minks »

I dunno Spot, kids pick up all kinds of horrible crap from social media, and even the news. I mean really do we need to see these crimes and criminals and all the details hitting the headlines of our daily news papers?
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It's a totally impractical knee jerk reaction. It's would be impossible to impose as there are so many everyday household products that use strong acids (and alkalines, for that matter). Then would come the question of at what pH level would you require a licence. And how would you get a licence to get a bottle of vinegar for your chips?
spot

Post by spot »

You're ignoring the feelgood fluff value of signing a petition though.

Return to “Current Events”