Where is the moral high ground

spot

Post by spot »

The UK missed the opportunity of settling the residency and work rights of EU citizens currently in or outside the UK.

It could have unilaterally announced, and still could, that all EU citizens working or resident in the UK on the completion of the separation in two years' time will retain the permanent right to live and work in England.

I don't see how the EU negotiators could then have not reciprocated with UK residents abroad in the EU. It would have become a moral imperative beyond negotiation.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1507990 wrote: The UK missed the opportunity of settling the residency and work rights of EU citizens currently in or outside the UK.

It could have unilaterally announced, and still could, that all EU citizens working or resident in the UK on the completion of the separation in two years' time will retain the permanent right to live and work in England.

I don't see how the EU negotiators could then have not reciprocated with UK residents abroad in the EU. It would have become a moral imperative beyond negotiation.

and it would have had knock on effects with other parts of the negotiations.
spot

Post by spot »

Given Spain's veto I don't think there's the slightest chance of any EU agreement on anything unless Ms May sells Gibraltar down the river. She may prove to be that duplicitous but one hopes not. That veto might well prevent a right to reside and work, in the end.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1508008 wrote: Given Spain's veto I don't think there's the slightest chance of any EU agreement on anything unless Ms May sells Gibraltar down the river. She may prove to be that duplicitous but one hopes not. That veto might well prevent a right to reside and work, in the end.

If the other members see a Spanish veto blocking a deal that they want to do then the pressure of Spain not to use it will be enormous (although never visible). I cannot see the other states giving any of their negotiating positions up to pander to Spain's territorial ambitions.
spot

Post by spot »

It is Spain's one and only chance to get back what we... acquired, that might be the word. No other chance will ever arise. They have been trying since Columbus sailed, or soon thereafter. They would do it even if we threatened to shut down the Santander in revenge (a proposal I actually heard on Radio 4 this evening).
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1508017 wrote: It is Spain's one and only chance to get back what we... acquired, that might be the word. No other chance will ever arise. They have been trying since Columbus sailed, or soon thereafter. They would do it even if we threatened to shut down the Santander in revenge (a suggestion I actually heard on Radio 4 this evening).

Yes, we acquired Gibraltar - the Spanish ceded it to us in the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 and ratified that treaty in 1763 and 1783.
spot

Post by spot »

Very proper too, Gibraltar.

1713 is "soon after", I did cover myself.

I see the Third Reich might blow up the boat race tomorrow.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1508020 wrote: Very proper too, Gibraltar.

1713 is "soon after", I did cover myself.

I see the Third Reich might blow up the boat race tomorrow.

The Luftwaffe couldn't stop London functioning.......a random bomb wont either.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

200+ years later is "soon after"...

That's a long view. ;)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
gmc

Post by gmc »

Maybe apain will set an example and give up their territories in africa.

The battle over Ceuta, Spain's African Gibraltar - Telegraph

Although it's not quite the same. Wonder what the channel islands and the isle of man will do if the UK loses the finacial services passport - join with scotland perhaps?

Incidentally the spanish giovernment is now on record as saying it would not veto scottish membershipm of the eu after independence.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... to-join-eu

Alfonso Dastis, the Spanish foreign minister, made it clear that the government would not block an independent Scotland’s EU hopes, although he stressed that Madrid would not welcome the disintegration of the UK.

He also said Edinburgh would have to apply for membership, a process fraught with uncertainty that is likely to take several years. But asked directly whether Spain would veto an independent Scotland joining the EU, Dastis said: “No, we wouldn’t.”

Funnily enough the daily mail and telegraph don't seem to be reporting it at the moment.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Brexit makes the difference. They have less trouble with a free sovereign state joining than a region seceding to join. Doesn't set the same precedent.

Unquestionably, brexit brings the breakup of the UK closer. The fact that a brexit vote was also a vote for the hard right of the tory party (and we can be thankful it was no worse) also makes a break up more likely.

Dunno what's happening with the banks at present. They are opening EU subsidiaries in a steady trickle so they can keep operating in the EU but beyond that I don't know what the implications are for tax revenue, head office location, jobs etc. It doesn't look good, but I've no idea how bad it will be.

Apparently we're prepared to go to war over Gibralter. So much for the claim that leaving the EU doesn't make war more likely. Another brexit lie.

Hmm. Might see about visiting Scotland sometime this year.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Current Events”