Neil Gorsuch, Supreme Court nominee

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

FourPart;1506613 wrote: The handshake was originally intended to indicate that the particpants were not armed (ie. their sword hand).

So, I guess the hybrid would be to ensure one's head is not cut off during the bow. Good move!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I read this piece in the NY Times. It paints Gorsuch as conservative citing his background and his decisions on the Hobby Lobby and Little Sisters of the Poor cases, as well as claiming without offering any citations that : NY Times wrote: Like Justice Scalia, Judge Gorsuch takes a broad view of the Fourth Amendment, which bars unreasonable government searches and seizures.

Another part of the article says Judge Gorsuch has not hesitated to take stands that critics say have a partisan edge. He has criticized liberals for turning to the courts rather than legislatures to achieve their policy goals, and has called for limiting the power of federal regulators.[...]“American liberals have become addicted to the courtroom, relying on judges and lawyers rather than elected leaders and the ballot box, as the primary means of effecting their social agenda on everything from gay marriage to assisted suicide to the use of vouchers for private-school education,” he wrote. “This overweening addiction to the courtroom as the place to debate social policy is bad for the country and bad for the judiciary.” (the essay containing the above quote is found here.)

The Times concludes that: If Judge Gorsuch is confirmed, the court will return to a familiar dynamic, with Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, a moderate conservative, holding the decisive vote in many closely divided cases.

What are your thoughts?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1506548 wrote: I'm quite sure he can't, it's now out of the hands of the White House. There's no reason to doubt Neil Gorsuch's integrity, he's not entering the Court with a taint of personal bias.Still see Gorsuch this way, Spot?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

I think he makes an entirely valid point. There have been times when a British court has made binding new law where old law was unjust and I'm sure that's happened in the US too. Some judges would approve, others wouldn't, but it's not an untrue accusation.

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail. ... e376bc2723 is a case which springs to mind in the English system. Complete reversal of the previous view, in favor of making good law. It limited exclusion clauses when the essence of the contract was thereby destroyed.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Gorsuch appears biased towards employers, or companies/corporations and against employees, or individuals. He appears to me to view life and rights through the lens of group-think, and obedience to the group. That strikes me as consistent with a devoutly religious or militaristic mentality. We're all subject to the conditioning of the environment by which we were raised. Gorsuch's conditioning appears rather transparent to me.

I appreciate your perspective and reliance on what people say, however, that seems to assume the person in question is being genuinely honest and is uninhibited. Perhaps it's my Americanism, but I just can't make that sort of assumption.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1507893 wrote: Gorsuch appears biased towards employers, or companies/corporations and against employees, or individuals. He appears to me to view life and rights through the lens of group-think, and obedience to the group. That strikes me as consistent with a devoutly religious or militaristic mentality. We're all subject to the conditioning of the environment by which we were raised. Gorsuch's conditioning appears rather transparent to me.

I appreciate your perspective and reliance on what people say, however, that seems to assume the person in question is being genuinely honest and is uninhibited. Perhaps it's my Americanism, but I just can't make that sort of assumption.

Gorsuch Discusses Religious Liberty & The Hobby Lobby Case
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.

Return to “Current Events”