Brexit.......Now there's got to be an Act Of Parliament to leave !

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Perhaps people should read what Vernon Coleman has to say.......

Was Britain Taken Into The EU Illegally ?

Was Britain Taken Into The EU Illegally?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It's spilled milk now. Whats going to be gained either way ?

Unless it was all a dream and I am going to wake up 30 odd years younger.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

That wouldn't be a bad idea Bruv.

I really am so fed up with the bloody delaying tactics and no doubt a certain amount of corruption that is going on at the moment. So much hassle. All I want is a bit of peace in the autumn of my years, but all I get is worry and increasing fear for the future.

I just want to be more cheerful, like I used to be. To laugh at life, to feel more laid back. I used to be so laid back that I nearly fell over backwards ! :wah: Ah well I can only try, can only take no notice of the bad things that are happening in the world. I feel I've done my bit for society, the environment and human rights, so I have no conscience pricking if from now on I do absolutely nowt but look out for number one and my family. :yh_clap :yh_giggle :yh_tong2
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1505817 wrote: That wouldn't be a bad idea Bruv.

I really am so fed up with the bloody delaying tactics and no doubt a certain amount of corruption that is going on at the moment. So much hassle. All I want is a bit of peace in the autumn of my years, but all I get is worry and increasing fear for the future.

I just want to be more cheerful, like I used to be. To laugh at life, to feel more laid back. I used to be so laid back that I nearly fell over backwards ! :wah: Ah well I can only try, can only take no notice of the bad things that are happening in the world. I feel I've done my bit for society, the environment and human rights, so I have no conscience pricking if from now on I do absolutely nowt but look out for number one and my family. :yh_clap :yh_giggle :yh_tong2

The best way to accomplish that goal is simply to stop reading/listening to the bloody News.

Fretting over the crap that you can do nothing about is a waste of whatever valuable time we have left on this freaking rock.

I, for one, had decided I am going to avoid TV and Radio News, and open my paper to the funny pages.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

The debate in the House will be interesting but the result is a foregone conclusion - Article 50 will be triggered in March. Nobody doubts that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1505833 wrote: The debate in the House will be interesting but the result is a foregone conclusion - Article 50 will be triggered in March. Nobody doubts that.

Too true but asserting the sovereignty of parliament way highly important.
spot

Post by spot »

Indeed it was. My comment relates to Gill's "I really am so fed up with the bloody delaying tactics" of which there have been, so far, none at all. Beyond March it would be impossible to delay anything anyway, the countdown is in practice irreversible at that stage, but there have been no delays at all so far. Merely legal clarifications on the necessary process which haven't added so much as a day to the exit period. Allow me to predict: Brexit Day will be 1st April 2019.

The negotiating period after Article 50 has been triggered, for the sake of clarity, is anything to a maximum of two years "unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period".

see http://lawyersforbritain.org/brexit-pro ... e-50.shtml
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I think I'm tired, spot. Too tired to really study all this politicing, so I'm not surprised I get stuff a bit wrong. As I said, I just want to experience a more peaceful environment. Perhaps, as Lars has said, I should take no notice of TV/Radio News, but the trouble is that I don't like to have the feeling of not being aware of potential problems, particularly local ones. I'll just have to cherry pick. Maybe I should just watch/listen to, the local stuff eh?
spot

Post by spot »

This it from the Guardian website.Article 50 bill gets its Commons first reading

The article 50 bill, or the European Union(notice of withdrawal) bill, to give it its formal title, has just had its first Commons reading.

There is no debate at first reading. Instead, following the usual practice, the deputy Speaker, Eleanor Laing, announced: “Presentation of bill - Mr Secretary David Davis.” Davis, who was on the front bench, rose, and a clerk read out the title of the bill. Laing then said: “Second reading, what day?” A government whip shouted “tomorrow”, which is what they always say, even though the second reading is not tomorrow, but Tuesday next week. (I can’t remember why it happens like that; it’s one of the many barmy eccentricities of parliament.”

This means the bill can now be published.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... itics-live

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

It is very very important that Parliament be made responsible for voting to Leave. If that didn't happen, Parliament would become irrelevant and the Government (ANY Government) could do whatever it likes without any controls on it. They could decide never to have another election and could not be stopped, for example. It's actually more important than brexit or remain - whatever the result, we are still in a democracy but if Parliament ceases to be sovereign, then we are not really a democracy any more.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Thereas May has already demonstrated her contempt for Parliament on many occasions. Her Party Majority will pass the Bill. It will be turned down by the Lords. She'll just send it through, unamended twice more & she gets her way. She's done it before. There's no reason to believe she won't do it again.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1505934 wrote: Thereas May has already demonstrated her contempt for Parliament on many occasions. Her Party Majority will pass the Bill. It will be turned down by the Lords. She'll just send it through, unamended twice more & she gets her way. She's done it before. There's no reason to believe she won't do it again.

I am confused, I thought you wanted it to go through, and it was she that was opposed originally, so she is doing what the people voted for.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Parliament is sovereign in the UK vernon coleman is one oif those right wing nutjobs that likes to carefully pick bits of out history to back up his right wing nutjob views. The other favourite is the right to bear arms supposedly enshrined in the 1689 bill of rights carefully ignoring the bits where it states parliament alone and not the crownor anyone else has the right to regulate the bearing of arms. I'm fed up with brexiteers shouting to drown out opposition to what will be an economic desaster for this country. We need anoter referendum once the full consequences sink in so that maybe those that didn't vote get off their backsides and this time do so and all those iudiopts that couldnl;t grasp thyat most immigration into the UK is from outside the EU and could have been stopped anytime and theb givernment could have curtailed eu immigration it it had wanted to. It's ironic all those who object to immigrants from the indian sub contiment and africa have voted to stop immigration from europe instead.

Surely ven the thiockest of thnem can work out if we were reallou7 under the eu's thumb we wouldn't now be able to leave it. Roll on indyref2.
spot

Post by spot »

Our roving Prime Minister spent the day in bed with that disgraceful dictator-for-life Erdolan offering Turkey - Turkey! - the best we can build in fighter aircraft, apparently. If she's not the long-awaited Lady of Babylon from Revelations she's a pretty good imitation.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1505976 wrote: Our roving Prime Minister spent the day in bed with that disgraceful dictator-for-life Erdolan offering Turkey - Turkey! - the best we can build in fighter aircraft, apparently. If she's not the long-awaited Lady of Babylon from Revelations she's a pretty good imitation.

Too bad that's the euro fighter isn't it.
spot

Post by spot »

I think it's home-grown Turkish, relying on British high-tech production for parts we have the technology to produce.
gmc

Post by gmc »

If the tgories could they would lift up britannia's skirts and sell all to the highest bidder while cutting back on her access to healthcare and education for her children.

I've hated the tories since thatcher's day and despised the apparatchiks of the labour party just as long.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1505934 wrote: Thereas May has already demonstrated her contempt for Parliament on many occasions. Her Party Majority will pass the Bill. It will be turned down by the Lords. She'll just send it through, unamended twice more & she gets her way. She's done it before. There's no reason to believe she won't do it again.

There's even talk of making eight hundred new Lords to force it through.
spot

Post by spot »

For those interested, the 77 page White Paper - with lots of interesting statistics and barcharts - is available for download at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... EU_Web.pdf
gmc

Post by gmc »

Leave Campaign accused of dishonesty with key Brexit promise 'not being honoured' (From The National)

Over in Malta, Prime Minister May had a truncated day during which she was trumpeting, if you’ll pardon the word, her belief that she could act as a bridge between Europe and Donald Trump.

After she said that other EU leaders should work “patiently and constructively” with the US, they said what they thought of ‘bridging’ in no uncertain terms.

Lithuanian President, Dalia Grybauskait, said: “I don’t think there is a necessity for a bridge. We communicate with the Americans on Twitter.”

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Return to “Current Events”