Inauguration

Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

The Inauguration of the US President as I understand it is usually a celebration of democracy. This one is a celebration of corruption and Russian hacking if not blackmail. I gather the entertainment will be 1 Rockette and a few runners up in talent shows. Not one major currently performing star wants to be associated with this POTUS. Not one. Respect to them all.

I gather the boycott is gathering pace, but have no idea how many will join it. I've heard about 20 Democrats won't go - that's barely going to be noticeable, I'd have thought.

It's a tragic day. It's the day America as a beacon of hope and democracy dies. It's the day intolerance, corruption, arrogance and nepotism take control. It's the day America takes on the worst aspects of African or Eastern European democracies and becomes the personal enrichment tool of the President and his family and close cronies.

It's the day America ceases to be a friend and an ally that can be relied on and becomes a toy of the rich like Russia.

It's the day the US hands leadership of the world to China.

But the real winner of the US election and brexit is Vlad Putin, who is laughing himself sick at both the US and the UK.

edit: Now I hear that Trump is sending random invitations to "person aged 27+" to attend his inauguration, a bit like the way he packed a recent press conference with staffers instructed to applaud everything he said. How completely contemptible and pathetic.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

So you don't like Trump.

I didn't like Obama but he, like Trump was America's choice for President.

Rather than celebrate the peaceful transition of power, there are way too many losers throwing a hissy fit.

The shame belongs to the losers who try to ruin what is suppose to be a national celebration.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
Snowfire
Posts: 4835
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am

Inauguration

Post by Snowfire »

tude dog;1505476 wrote: So you don't like Trump.

I didn't like Obama but he, like Trump was America's choice for President.

Rather than celebrate the peaceful transition of power, there are way too many losers throwing a hissy fit.

The shame belongs to the losers who try to ruin what is suppose to be a national celebration.


There can only be a National Celebration if there's something to celebrate.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

Snowfire;1505479 wrote: There can only be a National Celebration if there's something to celebrate.


The peaceful transition of power without bloodshed.

To be an example to other nations how the citizens peaceably choose their leaders.



Some people just don't get it.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

There's a lot of Americans who feel the man is completely unfit for the job, to the extent they are scared for themselves, their families and their futures and horrified at the idea of religious extremists sliming into positions of power. I've not seen the USA protest like this even with the Florida/Bush shenanigans. This is a completely different order of political event and to attempt to normalise it is misguided. You've got to start looking at Vietnam War type protests to get anywhere near. This is NOT normal and the Inauguration mess reflects that. Peaceably choosing this jerk has done a lot to convince the Chinese that a limited franchise is a much better way and it's hard to argue with them.

He's got 40% approval ratings. Utterly unheard of for an incoming President. That means a lot of people who voted for him are changing their minds, in many cases no doubt because they are upset at the way he's rowed back on many of his more extreme statements and they had believed him. Anyone who doesn't raise several eyebrows at his Russian connections needs to look again. He's admitted molesting women, he won't release his tax returns, he employs his family in key posts and won't divorce himself from his business interests the way all Presidents have for what? 60 years?

The man stinks.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

Clodhopper;1505485 wrote: There's a lot of Americans who feel the man is completely unfit for the job, to the extent they are scared for themselves, their families and their futures and horrified at the idea of religious extremists sliming into positions of power. I've not seen the USA protest like this even with the Florida/Bush shenanigans. This is a completely different order of political event and to attempt to normalise it is misguided. You've got to start looking at Vietnam War type protests to get anywhere near. This is NOT normal and the Inauguration mess reflects that. Peaceably choosing this jerk has done a lot to convince the Chinese that a limited franchise is a much better way and it's hard to argue with them.

He's got 40% approval ratings. Utterly unheard of. That means a lot of people who voted for him are changing their minds, in many cases no doubt because they are upset at the way he's rowed back on many of his more extreme statements and they had believed him. Anyone who doesn't raise several eyebrows at his Russian connections needs to look again. He's admitted molesting women, he won't release his tax returns, he employs his family in key posts and won't divorce himself from his business interests the way all Presidents have for what? 60 years?

The man stinks.


Give it up.

He won the election and will be the next President of the United States.

One would think Democrats would have better things to do than crying about the election they lost.

The demos not only lost the executive branch but took a beating in the House and Senate.

Wake up and listen to Americans.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

I know he will and I know they did. I'm just expressing my horror about your President-to be and his administration. I'm a Londoner by the way and a Liberal Democrat. I considered America a friend and you don't let a friend do something you consider incredibly stupid without telling him so as forcefully as necessary. Now? I don't trust your President-to-be and his administration one little bit and without trust there is no friendship. When you get rid of him it will be like a friend coming to his senses.

While many many Americans from the ordinary to the astronauts have earned my respect and admiration, America has - I hope temporarily - lost it.

edit: My understanding is that your system wasn't really designed to operate with all three bodies - Presidency, Senate, Congress - of the same Party. This means not only do you have a very dodgy President, one of your major constitutional checks on his power has gone. Add in the appointment of top judges and there goes another. Underneath the President you are collecting a bunch of people who can and wish to push America not just to the Right, but the far religious Right.

I'm not very keen on the Saudis. Not because they are Muslim, but because they are religiously extreme. Iran ditto. A religiously extreme Christian America is heading the same way in my view - intolerant, authoritarian and far too fond of killing people.

edit again: I'm pretty miffed about brexit, so I'm not too pleased with my own people just at present - if they really are my people any more (but that's another discussion). So it's not just you damn yanks ;)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Inauguration

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I'm w/you, Clodhopper. I'm horrified. However, that psycho bully is now the president, duly elected, so I'm with TD too. The country has spoken & has said: "We're a bunch of angry morons." So there.
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

The country has spoken & has said: "We're a bunch of angry morons." So there.


So have the brexiters over here. At least you can throw the feckers out in 4 years at worst - what brexiters have done is for life. There is no return. We've jumped or been pushed (depending how you voted) off the cliff on the assurance we'll land in paradise and all we can be sure of is gravity.

What madness to believe that right wing racist and/or religious bigots and the corrupt very rich wish to deliver better conditions for ordinary people, who are of a wide range of colours and religions! This applies to both our countries.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
ZAP
Posts: 3081
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Inauguration

Post by ZAP »

AnneBoleyn;1505489 wrote: I'm w/you, Clodhopper. I'm horrified. However, that psycho bully is now the president, duly elected, so I'm with TD too. The country has spoken & has said: "We're a bunch of angry morons." So there.


Are these the same ones who used to be "Deplorables"?
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

Inauguration

Post by gmc »

I blame the ones who didn't bother voting. Clodhoppers right you can throw trump out what brexit is doing will be irreversible.
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Inauguration

Post by AnneBoleyn »

ZAP;1505495 wrote: Are these the same ones who used to be "Deplorables"?


Used to be?
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

Better DEPLORABLE than LOSER.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1505502 wrote: I blame the ones who didn't bother voting.


How about Clinton was just a horrible candidate?

I mean really. A billion dollars couldn't buy her the Presidency. I give credit to those who did go out and vote.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

tude dog;1505506 wrote: Better DEPLORABLE than LOSER.


Um, no. I'd rather maintain my standards. Losing or winning are not moral qualities; being or behaving deplorably has a moral quality - a bad one.

I did like the mule in the cartoons. Beautifully done :)

I'm aware that if nothing trump has said or done stops you supporting him, nothing I can say will. But if I found myself voting with the KKK I'd be very worried. I hope I'm wrong and trump is a brilliant angel who brings universal prosperity and brotherly love. But I doubt it.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

gmc;1505502 wrote: I blame the ones who didn't bother voting. Clodhoppers right you can throw trump out what brexit is doing will be irreversible.


Yeah, when it was just idleness or sheer irresponsibility (most of them, I'd guess); but I also know some who didn't vote because they felt they didn't understand the issues and that I do respect.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 13186
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

Inauguration

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1505506 wrote: Better DEPLORABLE than LOSER.


No, thank you. I'll stick with loser.

Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
spot
Posts: 40331
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Inauguration

Post by spot »

It occurs to me, now that the inauguration is upon us, that in all this time I've only ever heard or seen the President-elect speak perhaps a half dozen times on television or radio. I tend to get my news in written form and Radio 4 News is the sole place I might have heard him. I intend to watch the inauguration on my computer - not live, but the same day - and it will be far and away the most exposure I'll have had.

I saw and heard quite a bit of George W Bush over the years and eventually reached the point of turning him off whenever I heard his voice, he was such a moral abomination. How long I'll put up with eight years of President Trump I'm not sure.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

Clodhopper;1505511 wrote: Um, no. I'd rather maintain my standards. Losing or winning are not moral qualities; being or behaving deplorably has a moral quality - a bad one.


Yea, and the Clintons are a prime example.

Clodhopper;1505511 wrote: I did like the mule in the cartoons. Beautifully done :)

Clodhopper;1505511 wrote: I'm aware that if nothing trump has said or done stops you supporting him, nothing I can say will.


What ever gave you the idea I supported Trump?

Clodhopper;1505511 wrote: But if I found myself voting with the KKK I'd be very worried. I hope I'm wrong and trump is a brilliant angel who brings universal prosperity and brotherly love. But I doubt it.


What does Trump have to do with the KKK?:-2
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1505514 wrote: No, thank you. I'll stick with loser.




I see you accept Clinton's name calling as some sort of truth.

I dunno.

The people I know who voted for Trump are anything but deplorable.

I view them the same way I look at Clinton supporters. Ya know, like misguided or other similar descriptions.

No need to get nasty.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
ZAP
Posts: 3081
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Inauguration

Post by ZAP »

I have 3 daughters. One is a Conservative nurse. One is a Liberal microbiologist. One is a non political teacher. NONE is deplorable.
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

Yea, and the Clintons are a prime example.


I'm not defending the Clintons. Trump though is an anyone but candidate. Your Electoral College I thought was intended to stop exactly that sort of person from being made President. If not him, who? A monkey? I'd be tempted to take my chances with the monkey...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 13186
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

Inauguration

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1505517 wrote: I see you accept Clinton's name calling as some sort of truth.

I dunno.

The people I know who voted for Trump are anything but deplorable.

I view them the same way I look at Clinton supporters. Ya know, like misguided or other similar descriptions.

No need to get nasty.


Well, I think one of the problems began when Clinton used the term "deplorable" to refer to some some of the less sociable trumpers. Trump turned it around by suggesting all his followers we being called deplorable. That did the trick.

Anyway, both sides of this thing took a leap off the deep end.

Maybe we can get all this out of our system in the next four years, and Americans will be ready for sanity in the gumment by then.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

Clodhopper;1505519 wrote: I'm not defending the Clintons. Trump though is an anyone but candidate. Your Electoral College I thought was intended to stop exactly that sort of person from being made President. If not him, who? A monkey? I'd be tempted to take my chances with the monkey...


The Electorial College is not about weeding out unfit candidates. The decision of who is fit is determined by the voters.

What the Electorial College does is to prevent a tyranny of the majority.

Electoral College gives the whole nation a voice not just ruled by the most populous states.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 13186
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

Inauguration

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1505521 wrote: The Electorial College is not about weeding out unfit candidates. The decision of who is fit is determined by the voters.

What the Electorial College does is to prevent a tyranny of the majority.

Electoral College gives the whole nation a voice not just ruled by the most populous states.




The Electoral College has been perverted from its original intent.

It was meant to be more representative of the districts.

Each voting district had an elector, and there were two more electors at large. So if a district majority voted for a particular candidate the elector from that district cast his vote for that candidate.

Some years back a few states determined that to avoid confusion, all of the electors for that state would cast for whichever candidate won the majority. New York, California I think were the first.

by 2008 many of the states converted to a "winner-take-all" vote where whoever won the state got all the electors.

As for Hillary's loss, had she not conceded so early, there may have been some options to pursue given the majority vote, but that's all done. No point crying over spilt vote buckets.

I begin to think she was in on the scam from the get-go, and it was all part of the plan. Just think what a union of Russia, Turkey an the US can pull off in the world. As long as you don't really care about human rights, equality, and fair markets, it'll be Great.

China may soon become the bastion of human Rights.

I keep hearing a song that Jeff Bridges made famous on a movie about a broken down Country Singer.

...

falling feels like flying,

for a little while,

...

It'll be great.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
Wandrin
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Inauguration

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1505522 wrote:

I keep hearing a song that Jeff Bridges made famous on a movie about a broken down Country Singer.

...

falling feels like flying,

for a little while,

...

It'll be great.


I feel like I'm reading a novel and I can't figure out if it is sci-fi about a dystopian future, a looks bleak then surprisingly improves, or an old fashioned horror story.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 40331
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Inauguration

Post by spot »

It would better befit his office if he attended official occasions with a small representative sample of his family instead of bringing everyone on stage as a tribe. I haven't a clue who they all are but they take up an awful lot of room. Donald Trump is not exactly comme il faut - he reminds me of Idi Amin on these occasions, to the extent that I keep hoping he'll arrive one day wearing full opera bouffe army costume.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

tude dog: Was dropping for sleep last night so continuing this morning as a way of putting off housework ;)

What ever gave you the idea I supported Trump?


Well, the way you've been supporting him on here, even if it is support by default it's still support.

What does Trump have to do with the KKK?


It's what the KKK has to do with trump. They weren't just supporting him, they were delighted by him. Did you see the story about their celebrations with massed Nazi salutes? (and no, it wasn't fake news) If I found myself voting with the KKK en masse, especially in that sort of mood I'd be very concerned. It's the same with our neo-Nazi groups over here and brexit.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

Electoral College: learning something here :) It's beginning to sound as though the Electoral College is the appendix of the US body politic: it used to have a function, but has atrophied through irrelevance?

Vote Monkey!

The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

Wandrin;1505523 wrote: I feel like I'm reading a novel and I can't figure out if it is sci-fi about a dystopian future, a looks bleak then surprisingly improves, or an old fashioned horror story.


When you find out, let me know please.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

spot;1505525 wrote: It would better befit his office if he attended official occasions with a small representative sample of his family instead of bringing everyone on stage as a tribe. I haven't a clue who they all are but they take up an awful lot of room. Donald Trump is not exactly comme il faut - he reminds me of Idi Amin on these occasions, to the extent that I keep hoping he'll arrive one day wearing full opera bouffe army costume.


Something in the style of a Marching Band in a fetching lilac, perhaps?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
spot
Posts: 40331
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Inauguration

Post by spot »

In the spirit of encouragement on this auspicious day I offer one of Ambrose Bierce's fables to soften the blow.

“What a happy land you are!” said a Republican Form of Government to a Sovereign State. “Be good enough to lie still while I walk upon you, singing the praises of universal suffrage and descanting upon the blessings of civil and religious liberty. In the meantime you can relieve your feelings by cursing the one-man power and the effete monarchies of Europe.”

“My public servants have been fools and rogues from the date of your accession to power,” replied the State; “my legislative bodies, both State and municipal, are bands of thieves; my taxes are insupportable; my courts are corrupt; my cities are a disgrace to civilisation; my corporations have their hands at the throats of every private interest—all my affairs are in disorder and criminal confusion.”

“That is all very true,” said the Republican Form of Government, putting on its hobnail shoes; “but consider how I thrill you every Fourth of July.”







Clodhopper;1505529 wrote: Something in the style of a Marching Band in a fetching lilac, perhaps?
Ambrose Bierce sprang to mind because I recalled his reference to Marching Bands but I had to look it up to refresh my memory. It was this... Rear-Admiral Schley and Representative Charles F. Joy were standing near the Peace Monument, in Washington, discussing the question, Is success a failure? Mr. Joy suddenly broke off in the middle of an eloquent sentence, exclaiming: "Hello! I've heard that band before. Santlemann's, I think."

"I don't hear any band," said Schley.

"Come to think, I don't either," said Joy; "but I see General Miles coming down the avenue, and that pageant always affects me in the same way as a brass band. One has to scrutinize one's impressions pretty closely, or one will mistake their origin."

While the Admiral was digesting this hasty meal of philosophy General Miles passed in review, a spectacle of impressive dignity. When the tail of the seeming procession had passed and the two observers had recovered from the transient blindness caused by its effulgence—

"He seems to be enjoying himself," said the Admiral.

"There is nothing," assented Joy, thoughtfully, "that he enjoys one-half so well."





He resembles Douglas Haig with that handlebar.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Inauguration

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1505506 wrote: Better DEPLORABLE than LOSER.


It WAS a dumb thing to say, for sure. As for losers, call them the majority of the popular vote.
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Inauguration

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1505515 wrote:

I saw and heard quite a bit of George W Bush over the years and eventually reached the point of turning him off whenever I heard his voice, he was such a moral abomination. How long I'll put up with eight years of President Trump I'm not sure.


Educated guess. Not bloody long! I'm sure you will let us know.
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Inauguration

Post by AnneBoleyn »

ZAP;1505518 wrote: I have 3 daughters. One is a Conservative nurse. One is a Liberal microbiologist. One is a non political teacher. NONE is deplorable.


Gosh, Zap, where's your sense of humor?
User avatar
spot
Posts: 40331
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Inauguration

Post by spot »

I'm puzzled, why are all the uniformed people saluting President-elect Trump as he's driven past? He's not President yet, he's not yet inaugurated. How does he warrant a salute?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, that's as much housework as I'm doing today :)

Thanks for the "encouragement" via Mr Bierce :). Don't think I can bear watching trump get sworn in, my toes are curling at the prospect... I'll go and check what rugby is on instead. Or shoot things (in a game).
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
Wandrin
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Inauguration

Post by Wandrin »

I am a little curious to see how he will do during the swearing in ceremony. Will he be able to repeat the words accurately or feel the need to ad lib?
User avatar
spot
Posts: 40331
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Inauguration

Post by spot »

My word, the pastor's delivering the entire Beatitudes at the inauguration! Political or what?

The Democrat minority leader of the Senate is being continually booed by the crowd from the start of his speech onward. The boos are horrifying. The speech is, admittedly, dreadful, but the booing started before he opened his mouth.

And there's a thousand Mormons howling out a hymn while dressed in coordinated Scots tartan uniform? Someone's lost the plot, it might be me, but surely there can't be that many Mormon flight stewards in the world.

President Trump appears to be simultaneously deaf-signing his own speech.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
User avatar
spot
Posts: 40331
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Inauguration

Post by spot »

We'll want a transcript to discuss: http://www.elle.com/culture/career-poli ... ranscript/

We have a new Crusade called: unite the civilized world against radical Islamic terrorism, which we will eradicate completely from the face of the Earth - which sounds like genociding radical Islamic terrorists but maybe terrorism and terrorists are different entities. How you can kill one but not the other I'm not sure.

We also have two references to patriots: we all bleed the same red blood of patriots

We have, finally, American Isolationism: from this day forward, it's going to be only America first. America first.

And underlying the whole thing, President Trump announced an exact replica of Roosevelt's New Deal.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1505520 wrote: Well, I think one of the problems began when Clinton used the term "deplorable" to refer to some some of the less sociable trumpers. Trump turned it around by suggesting all his followers we being called deplorable. That did the trick.

Anyway, both sides of this thing took a leap off the deep end.

Maybe we can get all this out of our system in the next four years, and Americans will be ready for sanity in the gumment by then.


First of all, she referred to half of his supporters. Imagine if Trump had slung similar mud at half of Clintons supporters.



Then she talks about the other half of his supporters her and the O-man actively screwed.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 40331
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Inauguration

Post by spot »

As for the protests against the inauguration - for example - it is irredeemably shameful. Until this election it could be maintained that Republican street-supporters were, in general, thugs and liars while Democrat street-supporters were, in general, civilized, even though their parties' foreign policies were practically identical. After today I can't tell the generality of street-supporters apart at all, they're violent and abusive.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1505522 wrote: The Electoral College has been perverted from its original intent.

It was meant to be more representative of the districts.

Each voting district had an elector, and there were two more electors at large. So if a district majority voted for a particular candidate the elector from that district cast his vote for that candidate.

Some years back a few states determined that to avoid confusion, all of the electors for that state would cast for whichever candidate won the majority. New York, California I think were the first.

by 2008 many of the states converted to a "winner-take-all" vote where whoever won the state got all the electors.

As for Hillary's loss, had she not conceded so early, there may have been some options to pursue given the majority vote, but that's all done. No point crying over spilt vote buckets.

I begin to think she was in on the scam from the get-go, and it was all part of the plan. Just think what a union of Russia, Turkey an the US can pull off in the world. As long as you don't really care about human rights, equality, and fair markets, it'll be Great.

China may soon become the bastion of human Rights.

I keep hearing a song that Jeff Bridges made famous on a movie about a broken down Country Singer.

...

falling feels like flying,

for a little while,

...

It'll be great.


Article II

Section 1. The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

Does anybody else notice there is nothing about voting?

All the same, the system was to prevent the more populous states from ruling over the rest of the nation. I am happy to see it is working as intended.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

spot;1505525 wrote: It would better befit his office if he attended official occasions with a small representative sample of his family instead of bringing everyone on stage as a tribe. I haven't a clue who they all are but they take up an awful lot of room. Donald Trump is not exactly comme il faut - he reminds me of Idi Amin on these occasions, to the extent that I keep hoping he'll arrive one day wearing full opera bouffe army costume.


Maybe in your world, the concept of a loving family is pas·sé, but I love it.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 40331
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Inauguration

Post by spot »

tude dog;1505546 wrote: Maybe in your world, the concept of a loving family is pas·sé, but I love it.


That's what they are? They look more like money-and-glamor obsessives. I've no idea who the woman in the maroon outfit with the augmented lips was but I'm sure she was with them.



eta: Second from the left.

Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

Clodhopper;1505526 wrote: tude dog: Was dropping for sleep last night so continuing this morning as a way of putting off housework ;)



Well, the way you've been supporting him on here, even if it is support by default it's still support.


That's funny:yh_rotfl



Clodhopper;1505526 wrote: It's what the KKK has to do with trump. They weren't just supporting him, they were delighted by him. Did you see the story about their celebrations with massed Nazi salutes? (and no, it wasn't fake news) If I found myself voting with the KKK en masse, especially in that sort of mood I'd be very concerned. It's the same with our neo-Nazi groups over here and brexit.


I have way more important things to worry about then to pay attentions to the antics of Nazis and the KKK.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Inauguration

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1505546 wrote: Maybe in your world, the concept of a loving family is pas·sé, but I love it.


Then a man with your comprehension will have noted the body language between the out going President and his wife and the new guy and his wife ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Inauguration

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1505531 wrote: It WAS a dumb thing to say, for sure. As for losers, call them the majority of the popular vote.


You are right, it was a dumb thing to say.

I am truly astounded at all the crying and blaming.

Some of the reaction should be embarrassing.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
ZAP
Posts: 3081
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Inauguration

Post by ZAP »

AnneBoleyn;1505533 wrote: Gosh, Zap, where's your sense of humor?


Hillary Clinton wasn't being humorous when she used that term. It was insulting to some of my family and friends.
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Inauguration

Post by Clodhopper »

tude dog;1505551 wrote: You are right, it was a dumb thing to say.

I am truly astounded at all the crying and blaming.

Some of the reaction should be embarrassing.


People are scared, tude dog. Scared of their President and what he's going to do to them.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Current Events”