NFL QB sits during National Anthem.

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Colin Kaepernick's decision to sit through national anthem scrutinized

I know this won't mean much to people overseas.

Just wondered what everyone thought about his choice to protest in this manner.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I just heard on the radio that Rodney Harrison (former NFL player and a black man) say that Colin Kaepernick is not black enough to know what he is talking about.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

YZGI;1500511 wrote: I just heard on the radio that Rodney Harrison (former NFL player and a black man) say that Colin Kaepernick is not black enough to know what he is talking about.I don't know what that's supposed to mean but there is no requirement to stand. It's a matter of custom and etiquette.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

It's disrespectful

During the National Anthem Football players are suppose to stand - put their helmet under their left arm.

Colin is history- 49er's need to trade him to the worse team & in trade the 49er's can receive a box of band aids.

Patsy
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Mark Aspam;1500512 wrote: I don't know what that's supposed to mean but there is no requirement to stand. It's a matter of custom and etiquette.

I don't think anyone ever said it was required to stand. Do you stand? Do you think it was disrespectful to sit?

I think there are better more respectful ways to wage a protest or raise awareness for any cause than to draw attention to himself by not standing. Are people talking about his cause or about him not standing?
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

YZGI;1500514 wrote: 1. I don't think anyone ever said it was required to stand.

2. Do you stand?

3. Do you think it was disrespectful to sit? 1. I'm pretty sure that some people think that it's required. They're wrong, but they think so anyway.

2. Haven't had the opportunity for a long time. I would stand.

3. No opinion. It's a matter of the person's own conscience.

OK?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

By National Felon League standards that's pretty tame stuff.

Meanwhile that poo black boy will continue to collect his 19 million a year.

What a country.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Mark Aspam;1500515 wrote: 1. I'm pretty sure that some people think that it's required. They're wrong, but they think so anyway.

2. Haven't had the opportunity for a long time. I would stand.

3. No opinion. It's a matter of the person's own conscience.

OK?

I agree. I always stand, and I think that everybody who is able should, but the first time someone tells me that I have to stand would likely be the first time I refused to do so.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

NFL does have guidelines to follow -etiquette.

They are to stand & place their helmet under their left arm.

Colin is a fool - no I don't like the fact he didn't stand.

If he needs to get a point/message across then speak - he spit.

49er's can give him the boot - sooner the better.

Patsy
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had this comment, saying that he thought Colin's gesture was "highly patriotic."

"What should horrify Americans is not Kaepernick’s choice to remain seated during the national anthem, but that nearly 50 years after [Muhammad] Ali was banned from boxing for his stance and Tommie Smith and John Carlos’s raised fists caused public ostracization and numerous death threats, we still need to call attention to the same racial inequities," Abdul-Jabbar wrote, referring to prominent protests by black athletes that were once considered controversial but have since become iconic symbols of the U.S. civil rights movement.
source
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

YZGI;1500514 wrote: I don't think anyone ever said it was required to stand. Do you stand? Do you think it was disrespectful to sit?

I think there are better more respectful ways to wage a protest or raise awareness for any cause than to draw attention to himself by not standing. Are people talking about his cause or about him not standing?

I think he was very disrespectful. I agree that there are better ways to raise awareness and let his feelings be known.

I don't think SF can fire him though. I guess I'll have to tune into ESPN.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I think everyone seems to be missing the point. What he is doing is making a valid protest about a valid cause in a way that is harming no-one. He is drawing attention to the shameful racism of a country. Respect has always been something that is earned, not expected. It is been commented on that he is not black enough to know about racism. I wasn't aware that anyone's colour had anything to do with being Racist. I thought that was the whole point of being anti-racist - so that people of all colours should be treated equally. Jeremy Corbyn, as far as I'm aware, is the only politician to have been arrested for protesting against apartheid. Does the fact that's he's white mean that he doesn't understand the evils of racism? What if a white person were to join his protest in sitting for the National Anthem? I've always found the U.S. to be excessively Nationalistic in its attitude anyway. For a country that is supposed to be the "Land of the Free", there seems to be a lot of people who are freer than others based on the colour of their skin. If he makes just a few people think twice about the cause, then it would have been worth it. Respect to him.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Take one for the Team :wah: Colin..

It's a team - he's using a team game opportunity to express himself - really.

Use you millions - pay for a spot & speak for your cause - speak for your injustice.

But when it comes to the National Anthem - stand proud.

Yes, the 49er's can & will get ride of him, he's on his way out. bye bye

Patsy
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Ive never stood during a national anthem....... its out of control. Im now seeing people put their hand over their chest during ours these days. Wtf is that about?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

It's his right to do so. So what? It's meaningless anyway. Magentaflame, your post above mine, I agree with your spirit. Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. (Samuel Johnson, 1775).It's overdone. Settle down, calm down. Burn a flag, just a piece of cloth. Glad you brought this up, Y.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

AnneBoleyn;1500536 wrote: It's his right to do so. So what? It's meaningless anyway. Magentaflame, your post above mine, I agree with your spirit. Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. (Samuel Johnson, 1775).It's overdone. Settle down, calm down. Burn a flag, just a piece of cloth. Glad you brought this up, Y.
Then there's the pantomime of disposing of flags, by having them burned by the Boy Scouts.

When the kids of Nazi Germany had to raise their arms to the Swastika & pledge allegiance to their flag, that was considered facist brainwashing. Americans still do exactly the same thing. Before Hitler they even used the same inclined arm salute. Patriotism is one thing. Nationalism is another matter altogether. Patriotism is a personal pride in one's country. Nationalism is an enforced display of an act of pride. If someone is ashamed of the way his country acts, why should he be made to show respect for it? He is making a point, and in so doing is making a very courageous move as he knows full well the trouble it will cause & the damage it may do to his career. However, he clearly has his principles, and he is the one that should be respected. He has done something that is deserving of respect.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I disagree. Patriotism IS nationalism.its just a polite way of saying it.

Our flag has and is still being used in race riots,by politicians, they wrap themselves in it.....i always laugh when i see it. Its got a freaking union jack on it.!

All those people will be lost once we decide on another.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Anyone who feels they need to stand proudunder any countrys flag hasnt studied their own countrys history very well.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

magentaflame;1500545 wrote: I disagree. Patriotism IS nationalism.its just a polite way of saying it.

Our flag has and is still being used in race riots,by politicians, they wrap themselves in it.....i always laugh when i see it. Its got a freaking union jack on it.!

All those people will be lost once we decide on another.

Is patriotism blind support of what is happening in a country or support of the principles it is supposed to stand for?
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I'm curious about what other countries do, such as England, Canada, etc. Do they stand for God Save The Queen or Oh, Canada, etc.?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1500547 wrote: Is patriotism blind support of what is happening in a country or support of the principles it is supposed to stand for?

For many of us, the second. Though all my life, I've seen many for whom it was the first.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1500556 wrote: For many of us, the second. Though all my life, I've seen many for whom it was the first.

I agree. I see it as the difference between patriotism and nationalism.
gmc

Post by gmc »

ZAP;1500554 wrote: I'm curious about what other countries do, such as England, Canada, etc. Do they stand for God Save The Queen or Oh, Canada, etc.?

Coercion to say words you do not believe is totalitarianism to conflate not singing it with being unpatriotic is just a way of shouting down opposition. We're unique in having a national anthem that venerates a monarch rather than the country itself. The US is different your flag Celebrates the nation and what it stands for and you are a republic be a shame if the fascist go to own it.

We stand normally, god save the queen is becoming controversial there is a stromg my country right or wrong steal in our society especially amongst our right wing press. The union flag had been hijacked by the right and unionists in scotland and northern ireland like to wave it on every occasion. God save the queen is racist and anti-scottish

Jeremy Corbyn got slagged off for not singing the national anthem during battle of britain memorial commenoration ceremonies.

Jeremy Corbyn, the national anthem and the broader picture | Letters | Politics | The Guardian

Tony blair and maggie thatcher sang with gusto, take your pick as to who is right..
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1500536 wrote: It's his right to do so. So what? It's meaningless anyway. Magentaflame, your post above mine, I agree with your spirit. Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. (Samuel Johnson, 1775).It's overdone.

What does that mean, last refuge of the scoundrel? How does it apply here?

AnneBoleyn;1500536 wrote: Settle down, calm down. Burn a flag, just a piece of cloth. Glad you brought this up, Y.

Maybe to you. To us scoundrels, it represents the best hand highest ideals and sacrifice of patriots, worth dying for.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

magentaflame;1500546 wrote: Anyone who feels they need to stand proudunder any countrys flag hasnt studied their own countrys history very well.

Really???

I demur. Looks to me you choose a selective view of history.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post

It's his right to do so. So what? It's meaningless anyway. Magentaflame, your post above mine, I agree with your spirit. Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. (Samuel Johnson, 1775).It's overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post

Settle down, calm down. Burn a flag, just a piece of cloth. Glad you brought this up, Y.

Maybe to you. To us scoundrels, it represents the best hand highest ideals and sacrifice of patriots, worth dying for.

1. People always squawking about their patriotism are scoundrels. There's nothing to prove. I think most Americans are happy to be here, what's with all the grandstanding?

2. Die if the country is attacked, die for the people who live here, (if you must) but to die for a flag? That's nuts to me.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1500575 wrote: Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post

It's his right to do so. So what? It's meaningless anyway. Magentaflame, your post above mine, I agree with your spirit. Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. (Samuel Johnson, 1775).It's overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post

Settle down, calm down. Burn a flag, just a piece of cloth. Glad you brought this up, Y.

1. People always squawking about their patriotism are scoundrels. There's nothing to prove. I think most Americans are happy to be here, what's with all the grandstanding?

Whose's grandstanding? Everytime I see that quote it is used to slander patriots.

2. Die if the country is attacked, die for the people who live here, (if you must) but to die for a flag? That's nuts to me.

Back in the day flags were carried to lead and guide troops into battle. The soldier who carried it was a prime target for the enemy. There were always backups to take over the task once the carrier was shot each and every other one who picked up the banner became the target.

Nowadays it is different.

Our flag is the symbol of what we swore our lives to protect and defend.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

tude dog;1500588 wrote: Our flag is the symbol of what we swore our lives to protect and defend.I don't see the dispute here. It's a symbol, nothing more.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Game tonight

Colin plans on sitting again.

Tonight is Military night at the game - lets see how this goes over.

Patsy
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Patsy Warnick;1500610 wrote: Game tonight

Patsy

Yeah. The Navy band is playing The Star Spangled Banner.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Patsy

Now he is wearing socks that picture pigs in police uniforms.

b505776e17b3b52b84822e191d947ebe.jpe

I did like the way he burned Hillary and Trump though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... al-anthem/
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Good link

Thanks

Patsy
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Patsy

I thought you were in AZ Cardinals territory
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Well Lars I am in the AZ Cards Territory

the new stadium is 3 minutes away - very nice I must add.

My Hubby is a 49er's fan:yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl we don't miss a thing @ the Niner's.

I like Red so I'm good with both teams.

I'm originally from Seattle - Go Hawks...:wah:

I don't agree with Colin sitting - use your money - make a commercial - there's many ways in this tech world to be heard.

but, he is getting the attention - so maybe his method is working?

Patsy
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I'm watching the

San Francisco @ San Diego game right now. The crowd boos Colin K. every time he has the ball.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I think a lot of the fans are hypocrites. Every time I have been to some sports event, NFL, Baseball, NASCAR, College sports, whatever, when they ask for people to stand for the National Anthem, while most of them do, they are usually rowdy, and drinking, eating, talking, yelling and otherwise disruptive, while whatever performer is singing the anthem, and halfway through the begin to cheer and yell so loudly that the singer(s) are drowned out.

I have gotten to where I prefer to arrive late, after the event begins so that I don't have to witness all the bull****. And now these clowns want to give this guy a lot of grief?

Screw them.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Apparently other football players are following in Colin's sitting.

A Seahawk player decided to sit.

You know Colin is sitting for his cause - which is correcting the wrong with the Police and the outcome of all the violence etc.

But he wears the socks with Police & pigs which could really be the opposite point he is trying to make. he's not helping his "cause".

Go a head Colin call 911 - there may be a delay in assistance.

Patsy
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

ZAP;1500554 wrote: I'm curious about what other countries do, such as England, Canada, etc. Do they stand for God Save The Queen or Oh, Canada, etc.?

I would normally stand for the national anthem (but then, it's used a lot more rarely that yours) but, as Lars said, the day I'm told I must is the day I sit through it.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Bryn Mawr;1500670 wrote: I would normally stand for the national anthem (but then, it's used a lot more rarely that yours) but, as Lars said, the day I'm told I must is the day I sit through it.

No, I would not like being told that I HAD to stand, but in our country of freedom, that would never happen. I hope. Some of my ancestors were oppressed, having their land taken and being forced out hundreds of miles, to relocate. Some were slave holders.

I consider it a privilege to live in this country. I'm very patriotic and I get teary-eyed every time I hear our national anthem. Years ago when I was president of our local real estate board and sitting in a huge ballroom in Sacramento, waiting for the governor to come and speak to a room of hundreds of people, I thought how great this was, for me, a girl coming out of abject poverty, a juvenile delinquent and then a single mom of 3, to be able to accomplish this through diligence & determination and to be a respected member of this organization. I cried when I stood to salute the flag.

I would never disrespect our flag or our police.

My 5 best friends are Italian, Jewish, *****, Chinese and Sioux. All are Americans.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Good for you Zap. There is nothing wrong with being proud of the country of your birth. There is nothing wrong with feeling a lump in your throat when you hear the national anthem. I feel it is such a pity that the people who are supposed to organise the successful running of their country fall very short of what they are expected to do.

In this regard it causes many people to feel ashamed of the country of their birth, and this shouldn't be. It is not the country at fault, it is the so called 'leaders' who, having fiddled their way to getting voted in, are out to line their own pockets and deprive the people of what is rightfully the peoples' - a fair and just leadership.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Zap

Good for you & I feel the same.

I feel privileged to live in this Country.

I had my husband die at 30 yrs. old serving this Country.

I don't appreciate this sitting - Colin needs to get that silver spoon out of his A$$ - use his millions to get his point across.

Patsy
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

ZAP;1500675 wrote: No, I would not like being told that I HAD to stand, but in our country of freedom, that would never happen. I hope. Some of my ancestors were oppressed, having their land taken and being forced out hundreds of miles, to relocate. Some were slave holders.

I consider it a privilege to live in this country. I'm very patriotic and I get teary-eyed every time I hear our national anthem. Years ago when I was president of our local real estate board and sitting in a huge ballroom in Sacramento, waiting for the governor to come and speak to a room of hundreds of people, I thought how great this was, for me, a girl coming out of abject poverty, a juvenile delinquent and then a single mom of 3, to be able to accomplish this through diligence & determination and to be a respected member of this organization. I cried when I stood to salute the flag.

I would never disrespect our flag or our police.

My 5 best friends are Italian, Jewish, *****, Chinese and Sioux. All are Americans.

Anyone who has 5 asterisks as friends has to have a lot of patience..:thinking:
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

YZGI;1500683 wrote: Anyone who has 5 asterisks as friends has to have a lot of patience..:thinking:

I just saw this. Do you know what the word was that I spelled out but FG wouldn't recognize it? N-E-G-R-O. Let's see if it prints. It's another word for BLACK.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

ZAP;1500689 wrote: I just saw this. Do you know what the word was that I spelled out but FG wouldn't recognize it? N-E-G-R-O. Let's see if it prints. It's another word for BLACK.

Um, do you call then n e g r o to their face. I think n e g r o has been taken away. I know in Spanish its ok but pretty sure English it is not cool.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Why Zap, did you choose that word? It's an anachronism. That's the word tude dog uses when he's being offensive about black people.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1500718 wrote: Why Zap, did you choose that word? It's an anachronism. That's the word tude dog uses when he's being offensive about black people.

Uh, I always use that word as it was used in the time period I am posting about. It never is about being offensive towards blacks. As long as it gets a rise out of you or other posters, it works for me.

Five score years ago a great American in whose symholic

shado·w we stand today signed the Emancipation

Proclamation. This momen:tous cleeree is a great beacon

light of hope to millions of ***** slave·s who had been

~e.arrd in the flames o[ withering injushce.

Speech by the Rev. MARTIN LuTHER KING

At the "March on Washington.

Censor the Rev King himself. Shameful.

Apparently, that speech which is copyrighted by the King family. I suspect that is why it is corrupted when I copied that part to this site. It is their right but I find that selfish. I started to correct the corruption but stopped. The link is available.

Reminds me of the occasion some do-gooders would want to ban Adventures of Huckleberry Finn from their local school libraries.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I would never ban Huckleberry Finn; it's great literature & teaches a great lesson. I basically know Dr. King's speech by heart & he used the word correctly, of course. Today, though, it is an anachronism.

Just winking at you ;-) btw; as long as it gets a rise out of you it works for me.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

AnneBoleyn;1500718 wrote: Why Zap, did you choose that word? It's an anachronism. That's the word tude dog uses when he's being offensive about black people.

What can I tell you, AnneBoleyn? I AM an anachronism! I am old. :)

I never thought about that word being offensive. I tend to cringe a little over Black . . . (Muslim, Panthers, etc.) but I decided to ask my black friend how she felt. She said, Yes, she feels a little offended when she hears it, but she doesn't like African American either--she prefers Black. I asked her if she was offended when I used the word--I was sure I had on our many trips together. She said if I had ever used it she hadn't noticed because she knew I meant no offense. She told me people used the N word in the 50's & 60's but then they started with Afro Americans, African Americans and Blacks.

She reminded me of the story I had told her several months ago about when my mother worked in a truck stop as a waitress, in the 50's, in still-segregated Kansas. A busload stopped to get food and there was a black man on board. The boss told my mother to go out and tell him he wasn't going to eat in there. At the risk of losing her job my mother told her boss that she wasn't going to do that--that he was as good as she was. So the boss went out and told the man that he could order food but he wouldn't be able to sit in the diner. My mother didn't lose her job but she never got over it. I'm sure she had a lot of bad moments , as did I when I was older, with my father, who was one of the biggest bigots ever.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

You have a wonderful mother ZAP, & that is a family story to be proud of & no, I don't think YOU are an anachronism! I let people choose what they want to be called, or not called, & follow their wishes.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

YZGI;1500692 wrote: Um, do you call then n e g r o to their face. I think n e g r o has been taken away. I know in Spanish its ok but pretty sure English it is not cool.

My friend said she was telling her sister about our conversation and her sister said, "You should tell her you just want to be called Chris." :wah:

Return to “Current Events”