Obama-Iran

tude dog

Obama-Iran

Post by tude dog »

Makes me wonder just what is Obama's love affair with Iran is all about?

Is there nothing Iran can't do to show it's policy of expansion that this guy Obama doesn't get?

Justice Department Officials Raised Objections on U.S. Cash Payment to Iran

WASHINGTON—Senior Justice Department officials objected to sending a plane loaded with cash to Tehran at the same time that Iran released four imprisoned Americans, but their objections were overruled by the State Department, according to people familiar with the discussions.

Other than pocket change, who pays with cash?

After announcing the release of the Americans in January, President Barack Obama also said the U.S. would pay $1.7 billion to Iran to settle a failed arms deal dating back to 1979. What wasn’t disclosed then was that the first payment would be $400 million in cash, flown in at the same time, as The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

The timing and manner of the payment raised alarms at the Justice Department, according to those familiar with the discussions. “People knew what it was going to look like, and there was concern the Iranians probably did consider it a ransom payment,’’ said one of the people.

The U.S. has a longstanding policy of not paying ransom to hostage-takers. The issue has long been a difficult one for the Justice Department and the FBI, which was criticized last year for providing intelligence assistance to a U.S. family as it tried to buy the freedom of an American aid worker in Pakistan.

Wall Street Journal

Payment in cash, can't wait for the explanation.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Mark Aspam

Obama-Iran

Post by Mark Aspam »

tude dog;1499644 wrote: Payment in cash, can't wait for the explanation.It was their money. We rescued our people. Live with it.
FourPart

Obama-Iran

Post by FourPart »

Digital Transfer is traceable. It's also Hackable. Personally, I prefer to do all my transactions Digitally online, but I know of plenty of people who don't trust the internet with their finances - and in such instances we're only talking relatively small figures. So - you get a group of terrorists, all wanting their share of the bounty - and you expect them all to sign up to PayPal?
spot

Obama-Iran

Post by spot »

tude dog;1499644 wrote: Is there nothing Iran can't do to show it's policy of expansion that this guy Obama doesn't get?
Perhaps you could explain the background to that bit - when did Iran display any expansionist ambition? Into where has it tried to expand? Which century are we discussing? Which part of the Iranian border did the Iranians intend to inflate? Cyrus the Great in 550 BC yes, guilty - it's in the Bible - but I can't think of any occasion since then.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Obama-Iran

Post by tude dog »

Mark Aspam;1499645 wrote: It was their money.

No, it wasn't till Obama turned it over to them.

Mark Aspam;1499645 wrote: We rescued our people.

Rescue is the wrong word.

Mark Aspam;1499645 wrote: Live with it.

We will as to await the next ransom demand.
tude dog

Obama-Iran

Post by tude dog »

spot;1499651 wrote: Perhaps you could explain the background to that bit - when did Iran display any expansionist ambition? Into where has it tried to expand? Which century are we discussing? Which part of the Iranian border did the Iranians intend to inflate? Cyrus the Great in 550 BC yes, guilty - it's in the Bible - but I can't think of any occasion since then.

Kinda left out of the news cycle for the last, Um, during the last 37 years or so?
Mark Aspam

Obama-Iran

Post by Mark Aspam »

No, it wasn't till Obama turned it over to them.

Yes, it was. You need to check out the facts.

Also, if you don't like the current administration, it will be ending soon. Run for president yourself or vote for nutcase Trump. He will gladly supply you with a nuclear war. Oughta be a real blast!
spot

Obama-Iran

Post by spot »

tude dog;1499655 wrote: Kinda left out of the news cycle for the last, Um, during the last 37 years or so?

You'll never thrive as a gridiron coach, tude, if you don't get better at distinguishing offense from defense.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Obama-Iran

Post by tude dog »

Mark Aspam;1499656 wrote: No, it wasn't till Obama turned it over to them.

Yes, it was. You need to check out the facts.

Help me out buddy, just how did that be.

Mark Aspam;1499656 wrote: Also, if you don't like the current administration, it will be ending soon. Run for president yourself

Not really a clever

Mark Aspam;1499656 wrote: or vote for nutcase Trump. He will gladly supply you with a nuclear war. Oughta be a real blast!

That is an insult I should not have to take.

I have been consistant in my dislike for the Trumphole, should you not noticed.
tude dog

Obama-Iran

Post by tude dog »

spot;1499657 wrote: You'll never thrive as a gridiron coach, tude, if you don't get better at distinguishing offense from defense.

Please, educate me on that.

Needs to know.
Mark Aspam

Obama-Iran

Post by Mark Aspam »

tude dog;1499658 wrote: Help me out buddy, just how did that be.Well, you can - and should - help yourself out. This is from Reuters (but you can easily check it out with other RELIABLE sources):

At the time [of the prisoner release - MA] , the United States said it had settled a longstanding Iranian claim at the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in The Hague, releasing $400 million in funds frozen since 1981, plus $1.3 billion in interest that was owed to Iran.

I don't think that anyone is claiming that the two matters were completely unrelated. The fact remains, the payment cannot be deemed a bribe or ransom since the money belonged to Iran from the git-go.
tude dog

Obama-Iran

Post by tude dog »

Mark Aspam;1499660 wrote:

I don't think that anyone is claiming that the two matters were completely unrelated. The fact remains, the payment cannot be deemed a bribe or ransom since the money belonged to Iran from the git-go.

Plausible denial.
AnneBoleyn

Obama-Iran

Post by AnneBoleyn »

You're just plain ridiculous, td. We have no banking arrangements with Iran. We were holding their money. Google the President's speech & press conference from yesterday and listen.

Return to “Current Events”