Dubai International aircrash

spot

Post by spot »

Emirates plane crash-lands at Dubai airport - BBC News

It's reported everyone survived, which is astonishing. How a plane can end up in that state and not kill anyone is beyond me.

Aviation Herald: "attempted to go around from low height. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames. Passengers are being reported evacuated and safe. The aircraft burned down completely"

Retracting the landing gear while over the runway sounds slightly cavalier.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
minks

Post by minks »

If I were one of those survivors, I would be getting me a lottery ticket STAT!!!

It is amazing they all survived, Kudos to the pilots.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I think that some credit is due the flight crew for being able to get every passenger off the plane quickly and safely. They train constantly to be prepared for just such an emergency. Obviously, their training paid off here.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
minks

Post by minks »

we definitely need to hear more of these "good news" stories out there in the world, yes kudos to the flight staff as well
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Believe it's still the safest way to travel, safer than cycling in London anyway.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1499587 wrote: Believe it's still the safest way to travel, safer than cycling in London anyway.

Ha! and here as well.

Statistically, Air travel is the safest mode of travel in the world.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Safest mode of travel - statistically, but most chance of injury / mortality when things go wrong.

As for retracting the undercarriage over the runway - that seems a very logical course of action to me. If the undercarriage isn't correctly in position it compromises any ensuing control. It could snag in the runway surface, sending it into a spin - or worse - a roll. Much like the way that brake pads on a bike work far better than a stick through the spokes. Sure, the stick would bring the bike to a faster stop, but....

A belly landing does, at least allow for a little more control of the situation.
spot

Post by spot »

It's surprising anyone put wheels on a plane at all, when one could bring the things down in a more controlled fashion without.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1499601 wrote: It's surprising anyone put wheels on a plane at all, when one could bring the things down in a more controlled fashion without.

i've had a brainwave - Dragons Den, here I come. In future, all planes shall have their entire underside covered with lightweight nylon casters - like roller skate / skateboard wheels. Or how about the underside being made of a polyurethane conveyor belt type surface?
spot

Post by spot »

PTFE and very very long runways.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Land them in water.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1499601 wrote: It's surprising anyone put wheels on a plane at all, when one could bring the things down in a more controlled fashion without.

The current method usually works very well. On the rare occasion when one of the wheel carriages seems dysfunctional, then the belly landing may make sense. I hope to never find out first hand.

The rumble of wheels on pavement is one of the most comforting sounds of air travel, in my book.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1499616 wrote: Land them in water.
The problem is that water can be very hard at speed as, like all liquids, it doesn't compress.

Return to “Current Events”