Reuters says Military has taken over Turkey

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

News reports say that this is not uncommon throughout Turkey History.

Turkey military says it's taken over: Reuters | MSNBC
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

flopstock;1498580 wrote: News reports say that this is not uncommon throughout Turkey History.

Turkey military says it's taken over: Reuters | MSNBC

You beat me to it.

My first thought is what does our glorious leader, President Barak Obama has to say?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

tude dog;1498583 wrote: You beat me to it.

My first thought is what does our glorious leader, President Barak Obama has to say.

Seriously? That was your first thought? I have to admit that my first thought was more along the lines of WTF is going on in the world? :)

You spend way too much time thinking about that fella - dog.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

The president (of turkey) is saying its not a coup. But a faction of their armed forces. They really dont need this right now.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

State tv and social media has been closed....uh oh!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

magentaflame;1498590 wrote: State tv and social media has been closed....uh oh!

I wondered about this after the airport attack - if they shut down social media and the news outlets here - I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be long before 'BUBBA' was out in the streets with weapons.

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

flopstock;1498587 wrote: Seriously? That was your first thought? I have to admit that my first thought was more along the lines of WTF is going on in the world? :)

You spend way too much time thinking about that fella - dog.

For me, I understood this event with all that is happening in the world.

Just looking for some leadership here.

Way too much time waiting for some leadership from the President of The United Stats.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

News here is speaking to a trt journo now....some terrorist group being blamed .....goulinist?movement? Hes saying this is not a small thing. There was no suggestion of unrest ..... a peace council is in charge....journos have had their phones confiscated......

This Australian journalist is a bit nervous.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

tude dog;1498593 wrote: For me, I understood this event with all that is happening in the world.

Just looking for some leadership here.

Way too much time waiting for some leadership from the President of The United Stats.

Leadership for Turkey? from Obama?

Did I fall asleep and Obama became 'World' Governor?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Holy ****! Is anyone watching this live.? All flights cancelled ...people are beginning to mill in the streets ...lots of gunfire.

If anyone has family in turkey tell them to leave now! If they can. The president has told citizens to take to the streets and oppose the coup....... wtf?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

My first thought is what does our glorious leader, President Barak Obama has to say?

You live in a very small world..........are you Bubba ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Uh oh that looks like shot people to me.... and the crowds getting bigger .
gmc

Post by gmc »

What has it got to do with him? Turkey is a member of nato with a big enough military not to be pushed around by the US hopefully obama will keep out of it unless you are seriously suggesting he goes in to reinforce a president that was trying to turn a secuklar state in to an islamic one.

ataturk was the military leader who set up the secular state after the fall of the ottoman empire (in the teeth of armed opposition from the allies I might add) what the military are doing seems to be following in his footsteps to maintain the secular state. Erdogan was trying to create an islamic state and you really don't want that.

Would the american miltary not defend the US constitution against a takeover by christian fundamentalists?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1498602 wrote: What has it got to do with him?

What I want to know is what is his attitude and more importantly, is our reaction to this.

Fair questions to ask.

gmc;1498602 wrote: Turkey is a member of nato with a big enough military not to be pushed around by the US hopefully obama will keep out of it unless you are seriously suggesting he goes in to reinforce a president that was trying to turn a secuklar state in to an islamic one.

ataturk was the military leader who set up the secular state after the fall of the ottoman empire (in the teeth of armed opposition from the allies I might add) what the military are doing seems to be following in his footsteps to maintain the secular state. Erdogan was trying to create an islamic state and you really don't want that.

Would the american miltary not defend the US constitution against a takeover by christian fundamentalists?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

The president of Turkey is a right wing conservative.....religion as such in conservatism is the same in any country.

But people are forgetting who has burdened the brunt of recent events in Europe and Asia/Africa. Theyve had a lot that larger economic and stablized countries have had to deal with.....most of our pillies couldnt handle the heat.

I hope they sort it out soon ......but..... now a former president is saying its about an outside source causing this not internal. Pray that Turkey cimes out of this . Because **** will hir the fan if it doesnt.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Will sort spelling when i get proper signal....soz
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Okay that was the weirdest press conference ive ever seen....ever! The apparent instigator of this coup lives in the US.... then he blamed isis....then his advises spoke to him and he visibly looked worried?concerned?

Then goes on to say its a good thing because it will clean out the military....what?

Hes not handling this very well.

Then on the other side....the people , they are visibly seen protecting the young soldiers in trucks from the more angry of the crowds.

Hmmnnn....
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

magentaflame;1498604 wrote: The president of Turkey is a right wing conservative.....religion as such in conservatism is the same in any country.

Not in a political sense, I would say that religion is necessarily conservative.
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1498617 wrote: Not in a political sense, I would say that religion is necessarily conservative.

I would also add backward looking and after this goodbye secklar turkey heelo oppression of women muslims of the wrong sect and anyone else god tells them is bad.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

tude dog;1498583 wrote: My first thought is what does our glorious leader, President Barak Obama has to say?What does he has to say?

I dunno, but I know this - personally, I like my Turkey fried in Greece and served on China, especially when I'm REALLY Hungary.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

The 'coup' has apparently been defeated and lots of soldiers have been arrested, I believe.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
gmc

Post by gmc »

I agree with thge sentioment but a couop is the wrong way to do it. Looks like erdogan is going to use this to harden his authority and continue with the islamisation of turkey.

The Islamization of Turkey

But the boys in the madrasa will soon be adults and the women in headscarves will be college graduates. What kind of a country will they build, I wondered, when they come to Istanbul and look up at its grand new mosque? And what will Turkey's future mean for Americans and our own long and troubled quest to build better relations with Muslim countries?

Second largest military in nato.

Goodbye secular turkey

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... reets.html
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

gmc;1498636 wrote: I agree with thge sentioment but a couop is the wrong way to do it. Thge sentioment, couop, however you wish to fraze it, what's the big deal here? This has been going on there for decades if not centuries.

Just thank your Lord or your lucky stars that you don't have to live there.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Mark Aspam;1498637 wrote: Thge sentioment, couop, however you wish to fraze it, what's the big deal here? This has been going on there for decades if not centuries.

Just thank your Lord or your lucky stars that you don't have to live there.

True it has been going on for centuries and religion is one of the major causes of conflict in history when it comes in to play ratioanlity goes out the window and evertybody gets sucked in. Erdogan supports the factions in syria trying to oust assad if he decides to get more involved things could get interesting the turkish military is the most powerful in the middle east and they also want the iraqi oil fields.

The problem any secular society has is how to deal with the insane followers of imaginary gods when they get political power and start doing what god tells them.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Hmmm

6000 military arrested

8000 police dismissed

1500 others under arrest

All up, there's a ****load of people disgruntled and with no jobs.

Now what.?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

One of the weirdest live interviews ive ever seen . Has anyone watched the interview with the turkish president? Im watching aljaseer news and the interview was cut short. "We're going to a commercial break, something has come up". What happened?

Meanwhile, all academics have been banned from leaving the country. Schoils and universities have been closed and all teachers and professors are being investigated... . Hello the new Iran!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Judges too?

Oh dear. The rise of a dictator.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I'm more than a little suspicious. It was an incredibly poorly planned coup attempt by the military. I would be surprised at all to learn that the whole thing was a set up to grab more power and increase his popularity while doing so.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Yeah, was thinking the same thing after that interrupted live interview where the journo put it to him that it wasnt the security forces that informed the president . They knew about it four hours before hand. And he eventually admitted that it was his brother in law....... then anorher moment and the interview was over?....im worried about that journalist welfare

Return to “Current Events”