Romeo Romeo, wherefore art thou, etc.

spot

Post by spot »

EgyptAir: Submarine searches for missing flight data recorders - BBC News

The Egyptian navy has a submarine?

What on earth have they sent that out of port for. The crew must all have retired by now, surely.

I quote:The Romeo class is an archaic anachronism by any reasonable set of submarine standards. It is a World War II design, slow, noisy and equipped with very poor sensors. Its hull integrity is open to question, it is known to have extreme quality control problems with its diesels and its battery life is very limited.

https://www.forecastinternational.com/a ... RC_ID=1791

If the black boxes are at 2,500m and the crush depth of a brand new Romeo class submarine in its heyday was 300m, what benefit do they expect to find from deploying it? If it can hear a beep then so could a surface ship, it's scarcely any closer.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

So they might be looking for a submarine as well, soon. Do they have black boxes ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

They may have equipment that can give them a better idea of where the plane is on the bottom, even though they cannot get anywhere near the depth.

Once they have a debris field identified, some deep water equipment (Which is, hopefully, already on the way) can be brought in to complete the search.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

How deep is the Mediterranean though? How deep does it need to go?
spot

Post by spot »

The black boxes are at 2,500m. And "the Egyptian submarine" turns out to be an unmanned oil exploration submersible, not an Egyptian Navy submarine as originally claimed after all. The wording of the news item has changed out of recognition this evening.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1496154 wrote: How deep is the Mediterranean though? How deep does it need to go?

The news report stated that the area where the plane went down is around 2500 to 3000 meters. Between 1.5 and 1.8 miles.

They should have a decent sonar system on that submersible. Maybe even some sort of retrieval apparatus.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

If America bribed me with a $10bn a year "aid" gratuity then I could afford a submersible too. Or maybe the Egyptians have only borrowed it.

I note Vietnam can now take its military shopping trolley round the aisles of US weapons factories, though I don't recall Vietnam having revised its system of government since it took Saigon. They'll be sending their officers to the US War College at this rate.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Seems the way U. S. makes & keeps 'friends' is to sell them weapons.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Oil industry to the rescue.

Egypt sends robot submarine to help plane crash search

Sisi said that underwater equipment from Egypt's offshore oil industry was being brought in to help the search.

"They have a submarine that can reach 3,000 meters under water," he said in a televised speech. "It moved today in the direction of the plane crash site because we are working hard to salvage the black boxes."

An oil ministry source said Sisi was referring to a robot submarine used mostly to maintain offshore oil rigs. It was not clear whether the vessel would be able to help locate the black boxes, or would be used in later stages of the operation.

So it may not be exaxtly what the doctor ordered, like chicken soup, can't hurt.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1496167 wrote: Seems the way U. S. makes & keeps 'friends' is to sell them weapons.

Making his alliances clear.

spot

Post by spot »

If the US had never sent "advisers" into the Vietnamese Civil War, the world would have been a cleaner place and Vietnam would have healed by now instead of remaining under one-party rule. That's what happens when a country gets scarred by foreign military intervention.

Your photo has lost its context:

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1496180 wrote: If the US had never sent "advisers" into the Vietnamese Civil War, the world would have been a cleaner place and Vietnam would have healed by now instead of remaining under one-party rule. That's what happens when a country gets scarred by foreign military intervention.

Your photo has lost its context:

Says you.

His buddies are always ready to give a helping hand.
spot

Post by spot »

It's not just "says you", I showed you.

The Castro brothers are the heroic saviors of Cuban integrity, and President Obama is honored to have met the pair of them.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1496213 wrote: It's not just "says you", I showed you.

The Castro brothers are the heroic saviors of Cuban integrity, and President Obama is honored to have met the pair of them.

Surely thou dost jest!
spot

Post by spot »

You've ever seen me jest? I think not. Generations of Cubans have led meaningful lives thanks to their overthrow of the Cuban dictator Batista.

The fact that you're American excuses you from liking them, you've been consistently lied to since birth so you're incapable of independent thought. Better dead than Red, if I recall, and the only good Indian is a dead Indian. Putting yourselves in other people's shoes is not an American trait.
spot

Post by spot »

The unmanned oil-exploration submersible today found the missing aircraft, a process which really ought not to take so long even underwater. A regular GPS datastream from planes by satellite should be mandated to fix this problem.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36543969
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Perhaps some sort of sonic/sonar device needs to be included in the beacon that the "black box" uses. Sound carries very well in water, and can be detected from much greater distance that the radio transmissions.

searchers could very quickly get a bead on the sound, and then close in on the radio signal.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1497036 wrote: Perhaps some sort of sonic/sonar device needs to be included in the beacon that the "black box" uses. Sound carries very well in water, and can be detected from much greater distance that the radio transmissions.

searchers could very quickly get a bead on the sound, and then close in on the radio signal.
You'd think so, wouldn't you - considering most of the planet is covered by water.

Return to “Current Events”