Hulk Hogan gets millions.

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I think this is great and have to admit that I was concerned the jurors would not see him as a victim quite as easily as they saw it in the ESPN reporter case last month. I'm glad I was wrong.

The retired wrestler Hulk Hogan was awarded $115 million in damages Friday by a Florida jury in an invasion of privacy case against Gawker.com over its publication of a sex tape.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/19/busin ... .html?_r=0
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

Once can only hope that after the appeals all subside, the publishers are left without so much as a shirt.

Maybe someone could film them leaving the courtroom naked and put the clip on YouTube.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Paypal founder is 'vindictive comic book villain' offers background to the lawsuit against Gawker.

Thank you Mr Thiel.

If Gawker, its reporters and its owners never publish another story in their lives the world will be a cleaner place. Damnable, unaccountable tittering rogues, the lot of them.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;1496314 wrote: Paypal founder is 'vindictive comic book villain' offers background to the lawsuit against Gawker.

Thank you Mr Thiel.

If Gawker, its reporters and its owners never publish another story in their lives the world will be a cleaner place. Damnable, unaccountable tittering rogues, the lot of them.

I can't imagine anyone thinking that this endangers freedom of the press.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1493837 wrote: Once can only hope that after the appeals all subside, the publishers are left without so much as a shirt.

Maybe someone could film them leaving the courtroom naked and put the clip on YouTube.

This should cheer you up then :-

Gawker files for bankruptcy after losing $140m case - BBC News
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1496792 wrote: This should cheer you up then :-

Perhaps, if he overlooks the first line:

The company filed for bankruptcy protection, which could allow it to avoid paying the damages.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1496792 wrote: This should cheer you up then :-

I'm quite sure that means something very different to what it would mean in England. I think in the USA it is a request to be allowed to continue in business while reneging on all their current creditors. I hope someone better informed here will correct me.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot, see:

Bankruptcy | United States Courts

There are different types of bankruptcy allowed by the courts. Bankruptcy is a right defined in our Constitution, Article 1, Section 4, Clause 8: "To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States"
spot

Post by spot »

Would you reed that as permission to be allowed to continue in business while reneging on all their current creditors?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1496800 wrote: spot, see:

Bankruptcy | United States Courts

There are different types of bankruptcy allowed by the courts. Bankruptcy is a right defined in our Constitution, Article 1, Section 4, Clause 8: "To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States"

Yup. and a corporation may use bankruptcy to have "excessive debt" forgiven. Of course the corporation is generally dissolved in the process, but the principles of the corporation can generally walk away, unscathed, free to assemble a new corporation and move on, often leaving the creditors to pick through the remaining "assets".

Hogan will likely have to be satisfied with wining the court case, and hopefully his attorney will cut a deal on his fees.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Yes, but............there are times when complete bankruptcy is necessary. I went bankrupt after being widowed. I didn't pay a few (bank) credit cards, and, as I always promised my husband "Not paying for your funeral, will leave you on the side of the road". He was cremated. Wanted a Viking funeral & that was the best I could do.

This was on my credit report for 10 years. I was smart enough to leave myself 2 unused credit cards. Hey, we did the best we could & never stiffed a little guy. We had integrity. Still do.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1496805 wrote: Yes, but............there are times when complete bankruptcy is necessary. I went bankrupt after being widowed. I didn't pay a few (bank) credit cards, and, as I always promised my husband "Not paying for your funeral, will leave you on the side of the road". He was cremated. Wanted a Viking funeral & that was the best I could do.

This was on my credit report for 10 years. I was smart enough to leave myself 2 unused credit cards. Hey, we did the best we could & never stiffed a little guy. We had integrity. Still do.

Personal bankruptcy is far different than corporate, usually.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Yes, Lars, but now with Chapter 13 covering some personal bankruptcies, it calls for re-organization & reparations. I only had Chapter 7 as a choice, which you are referring to, I think.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1496811 wrote: Yes, Lars, but now with Chapter 13 covering some personal bankruptcies, it calls for re-organization & reparations. I only had Chapter 7 as a choice, which you are referring to, I think.

I think chapter 11 is the business version. And I have known good people who were forced into the various chapters for any number of reasons. I tend to avoid judgment on such things. Been there, done that, if you know what I mean.

However, some businesses, and people will take advantage of the system, and I fully expect that the gawker folks fit into that category. In short, Hogan will likely not see a dime, but Mr Thiel will be along shortly with a somewhat rosy afterglow, and a brand new venture.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I'm sure many take advantage. What is your opinion, Lars, on why bankruptcy was seen as to be so important that it was in article 1, or listed at all? Because the majority of the founders were wealthy business people and it was self-interest? What do you think?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1496820 wrote: I'm sure many take advantage. What is your opinion, Lars, on why bankruptcy was seen as to be so important that it was in article 1, or listed at all? Because the majority of the founders were wealthy business people and it was self-interest? What do you think?

While some people have abused it, it is a necessary function of our government.

Many of the colonists found their way here as debtors. They lost all they had, and indentured themselves to escape debtor's prison, or even death.

Having a means to avoid such a thing was seen as critical to the building of the nation by some.

Many of the members of the constitutional Congress were wealthy, but they had also risked everything to separate from British rule. Many had indebted themselves in the process.

While they left the details to the states, that clause made a difference in how the various state legislatures treated indebtedness. To have a standard practice across state lines was seen by many as crucial to the success of interstate commerce.

An interesting read can be found Here: ConSource, A Brief History of the Bankruptcy Clause
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Interesting, Lars, thanks.

Return to “Current Events”