That bin lorry driver

spot

That bin lorry driver

Post by spot »

I have until now avoided making any comment about the chap who apparently lost consciousness at the wheel in Central Glasgow a while back. I made no comment even when it became evident that he had lied about his health after a prior event in order to retain his driving licence, and again lied about his health and his employment record to get his subsequently lethal driving job.

He is now being prosecuted for continuing to drive despite having no licence or any valid insurance, just six weeks ago.

There used to be insane asylums for people in his position.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-34438129
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

That bin lorry driver

Post by gmc »

About time too, it states quite on licence applications learly that giving false information is a cximinal offence.

So how about the personell department employee that didn't check his references wonder when he or she will be sacked or disciplined.
FourPart

That bin lorry driver

Post by FourPart »

The sickening thing is that he'll probably just get a fine and another ban on his licence - which is already banned.
gmc

That bin lorry driver

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1487167 wrote: The sickening thing is that he'll probably just get a fine and another ban on his licence - which is already banned.

My understanding is that It's actually fraud which means the courts hac=ve the discretion to impose a jail sentence.
Smaug

That bin lorry driver

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487164 wrote: I have until now avoided making any comment about the chap who apparently lost consciousness at the wheel in Central Glasgow a while back. I made no comment even when it became evident that he had lied about his health after a prior event in order to retain his driving licence, and again lied about his health and his employment record to get his subsequently lethal driving job.

He is now being prosecuted for continuing to drive despite having no licence or any valid insurance, just six weeks ago.

There used to be insane asylums for people in his position.

Bin lorry crash driver Harry Clarke arrested over road ban - BBC News

A lengthy prison term is what is required here, IMO. Especially after the deaths of so many innocent people! I cannot believe that HGV/PSV jobs can be obtained without thorough, verifiable medical checks. If so, the law needs changing, pronto!!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
gmc

That bin lorry driver

Post by gmc »

Smaug;1487172 wrote: A lengthy prison term is what is required here, IMO. Especially after the deaths of so many innocent people! I cannot believe that HGV/PSV jobs can be obtained without thorough, verifiable medical checks. If so, the law needs changing, pronto!!

To get it you need to pass a medical it's in the the renewal of it that you are asked to make a declaration as to your continued health. It wouldn't be practical to have a medicalm exam for every hgv driver renewing. I know several who have had to provide further medical evidence due to diabete, high blood pressure high cholestorol etc etc and had licencesc suspended while it was investigated. It's actually very strict most hgv drivers are responsible about it this guy was not.

Bin lorry crash driver Harry Clarke arrested over road ban - BBC News

Harry Clarke, 58, is accused of driving a car on 20 September despite losing his licence for medical reasons.

A fatal accident inquiry (FAI) into the deaths heard DVLA officials withdrew Mr Clarke's car licence for 12 months and banned him from driving HGVs for 10 years on 25 June this year.

This guy is a scumbag that needs to be jailed for what he did.
spot

That bin lorry driver

Post by spot »

I note the beginning of a private prosecution. I'm quite pleased a court may end up in a position to judge the decision of the Crown Office not to prosecute. Both of the totally contradictory points of view can be considered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-35025408
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

That bin lorry driver

Post by spot »

For the record, "judges at the Appeal Court in Edinburgh ruled in November last year that the family could not launch a private prosecution".

The trial for driving without valid licence or insurance has reached the sentencing stage.

Procurator fiscal depute Mark Allan told Glasgow Sheriff Court that Clarke's neighbours had seen him in the car park outside his house then saw him get into his white Corsa.

He said: "After watching for between 30 seconds and two minutes, both witnesses saw the accused enter into the driver's seat, switch on the exterior lights and drive out of the car park onto Buchanan Street."

He said Clarke returned about two hours later at about 22:15.

He added: "He went round to either the passenger door or boot and retrieved some carrier bags from the car before leaving the car and walking to his home address."

Two days later when Clarke was cautioned and charged by police he replied: "I have never been out on a public road. I have just moved the car in the private car park."

Bin lorry crash driver Harry Clarke admits reckless driving charge - BBC News

Mr Clarke appears to be a man whose mental compass does not include the concept of truth, whose only self-perceived misfortune has been getting caught lying, who no doubt feels badly done by.

The only way he can make things worse is to go on stage and try his hand as a comedy stand-up, or go on some agency's book as an after-dinner speaker.
Bruv

That bin lorry driver

Post by Bruv »

I must agree, this despicable man should get the full weight of the law......doubled.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

That bin lorry driver

Post by G#Gill »

I think he is the lowest of the low and should be in jail. What a scum he is, and very over weight, probably from alcohol and stuffing his fat face with burgers in huge baps. It would't surprise me to hear that he has saved a load of heart ache by actually having a fatal heart attack !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

That bin lorry driver

Post by spot »

Be fair, you didn't like most of the political leaders of the Third Reich either. You can be very judgemental, Gill.
G#Gill

That bin lorry driver

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1506789 wrote: Be fair, you didn't like most of the political leaders of the Third Reich either. You can be very judgemental, Gill.

Ha ha ha ha ha ................................................ you're a nut, Mr. spot . Now that's being judgemental innit ? LOL
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

That bin lorry driver

Post by spot »

FourPart;1487167 wrote: The sickening thing is that he'll probably just get a fine and another ban on his licence - which is already banned.

You win the coconut, congratulations.

The driver of a bin lorry which crashed in Glasgow, killing six people, has admitted endangering the public just nine months after the tragedy by driving despite having had his licence revoked for medical reasons.

Harry Clarke, 60, was branded “reprehensible” as he was banned from the roads for three years after admitting “culpably and recklessly” driving a car to the danger of the public on 20 September 2015.

He was sentenced at Glasgow sheriff court on Friday after pleading guilty to the offence at a hearing last month.

Clarke was given a community payback order with a 12-month supervision requirement and 150 hours’ unpaid work. He will have to wear an electronic tag under a restriction of liberty order which means he cannot leave his home between 7pm and 7am.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... w-incident

I wonder what his community service will consist of. I'm not sure he looks fit enough to do anything useful at all.

Lying to the police seems not to be a criminal act.
gmc

That bin lorry driver

Post by gmc »

He should have been jailed in the first place charged with manskaughter IMO.

I understand that it is a criminal offence if I make a false declaration to obtain a driving licence and

can lead to prosecution

The above is just the signature on the medical form. I don't know why he wasn't prosecuted it makes a farce of the whole process for him not to be. Being cynical I wonder if it's because it's also apparent that somebody in the council didn't check his references all the drivers I know when the matter come up in discussion think he hould have been prosecuted.

He was driving without a licence that means he had no insurance so why has his vehicle not been seized and crushed under the new police powers. Come to that why did he still have a car if he as berred from driving. Why is it scumbags seem to get awy with it.
spot

That bin lorry driver

Post by spot »

spot;1506768 wrote: Mr Clarke appears to be a man whose mental compass does not include the concept of truth, whose only self-perceived misfortune has been getting caught lying, who no doubt feels badly done by.

The only way he can make things worse is to go on stage and try his hand as a comedy stand-up, or go on some agency's book as an after-dinner speaker.

Mr Clarke has taken my suggestion, it would appear:

"I'm sorry for the part I played in 2014. It was an accident. If I thought for a minute it was all my fault I'd jump off a bridge."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... t-50799362

Describing it as an accident in the Mail on Sunday is Mr Clarke's close approach to taking a slot at the Edinburgh Fringe. Others might call it mockery.

The crash itself may not have had the required "criminal intention", to quote the prosecution service, but that doesn't make what happened an accident. Mr Clarke wittingly and deliberately lied about his medical history, and the bin lorry crash was a direct consequence of his lie. Had he not deliberately lied for personal gain, the deaths and injuries could not have happened.

How he wasn't prosecuted for gaining money by deception, or whatever the Scottish equivalent might be, I have no idea.He would certainly not have been employed as a bin lorry driver had he told the truth on his application for the job, as he was legally required to do.

Return to “Current Events”