About darned time!

flopstock

About darned time!

Post by flopstock »

I would vote for this fella for president tomorrow. He has the right attitude, IMO !Hispanic-owned BBQ restaurant under fire for holding 'White Appreciation Day' | Fox News Latino
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

About darned time!

Post by flopstock »

WOW!

Restaurant Gets Bomb Threats for 'White Appreciation Day' - NBC News
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Snooz

About darned time!

Post by Snooz »

Yeah, it didn't take long for the death threats. Kind of glad I'm getting old and won't be around all that much longer, people get worse and worse everyday.
spot

About darned time!

Post by spot »

Snooz;1478983 wrote: people get worse and worse everyday.

I improve with time. Like a well-constructed Cheddar.

Who did Jennifer McPherson think might have been discriminated against?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

I am thinking of showing up for the discount, and then, after I pay the check, show them pictures of my black ancestors.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

About darned time!

Post by tude dog »

Shame is the guberment could step on this fellow and smash him like a bug just because he dares to be free.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv

About darned time!

Post by Bruv »

Do Black Americans get discount anywhere during black history month ?

Do Hispanics get discount during Hispanic Heritage month ?

I object to the name of the business Rubbin Buttz ? What is that all about ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snooz

About darned time!

Post by Snooz »

A butt is a cut of beef, "rubbin" refers to hand rubbed spices and salt for smoked or barbecued meat.

Edited to add: there might very well be discounts during those heritage months but as far as I know, they've never hit the news due to bomb threats.
LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1479007 wrote: A butt is a cut of beef, "rubbin" refers to hand rubbed spices and salt for smoked or barbecued meat.

Edited to add: there might very well be discounts during those heritage months but as far as I know, they've never hit the news due to bomb threats.

the Bomb threats were a result of the news report on the event.

Bomb threats, these days are as common as parking tickets.
- DH Lawrence
spot

About darned time!

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1479010 wrote: Bomb threats, these days are as common as parking tickets.
Excuse me Sir, is this your Semtex? You can't just leave it there and go off shopping, you know.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

About darned time!

Post by Bruv »

Snooz;1479007 wrote: A butt is a cut of beef, "rubbin" refers to hand rubbed spices and salt for smoked or barbecued meat.

A butt in the UK is a backside or hiney? And so Rubbin Buttz would appear to be (how can I put this delicately?) intimate contact between a pair of buttocks, and therefor not for genteel folk.

Well done that shop owner for maximum publicity, hope it doesn't backfire.
LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

Actually, the butt referred to in the establishment name is a cut of pork. Check out their logo:

In this case, I offer Google's results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=purk+bu ... =pork+butt

Ooh. That made me hungry.

Time for some Barbeque.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

About darned time!

Post by Snooz »

Pork didn't occur to me since I don't eat it, but yeah, it's a particular cut of meat.
Snooz

About darned time!

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac;1479010 wrote: the Bomb threats were a result of the news report on the event.

Bomb threats, these days are as common as parking tickets.

Like death threats on twitter. Like I said, I'm glad I'm getting old.
AnneBoleyn

About darned time!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

flopstock;1478971 wrote: WOW!

Restaurant Gets Bomb Threats for 'White Appreciation Day' - NBC News

It's illegal to offer discounts based on race.

"I would vote for this fella for president tomorrow. He has the right attitude, IMO !" I see you don't have a very high threshold for the presidency.

White people are appreciated every day because generally speaking, they own everything.

This is stupid. White people who feel they need this suffer from some type of inferiority complex along with their racism. Calm down white people.
AnneBoleyn

About darned time!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1479005 wrote: Do Black Americans get discount anywhere during black history month ?

Do Hispanics get discount during Hispanic Heritage month ?

No, it is illegal to offer discounts based on ethnicity.
Snooz

About darned time!

Post by Snooz »

AnneBoleyn;1479017 wrote: It's illegal to offer discounts based on race.

"I would vote for this fella for president tomorrow. He has the right attitude, IMO !" I see you don't have a very high threshold for the presidency.

White people are appreciated every day because generally speaking, they own everything.

This is stupid. White people who feel they need this suffer from some type of inferiority complex along with their racism. Calm down white people.

Well done, you insulted our intelligence level and possible psychological damage and as an added bonus, you managed to throw in the always popular "racist" label.
LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1479023 wrote: Well done, you insulted our intelligence level and possible psychological damage and as an added bonus, you managed to throw in the always popular "racist" label.

Hmmm?

So "White People Appreciation Day" didn't sound just a little racist?
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

About darned time!

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1478987 wrote: Shame is the guberment could step on this fellow and smash him like a bug just because he dares to be free.

So.......America still a ways to go then ?
Snooz

About darned time!

Post by Snooz »

Is this racist?

Growing Number of Activists, Leaders Call on Black Community to Boycott White Businesses After Ferguson Decision - Atlanta Blackstar
LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1479025 wrote: So.......America still a ways to go then ?

Depends.

where are we going?

And, what's up with the handbasket?
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

About darned time!

Post by FourPart »

He does have a point, though. If "Black Appreciation Month" & "Hispanic Appreciation Month" are considered perfectly acceptable & non-racist, then why not "White Appreciation Month"? That is what Racial Equality is all about. If White Appreciation Month is not acceptable, then neither should Black or Hispanic Months be.
LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1479029 wrote: He does have a point, though. If "Black Appreciation Month" & "Hispanic Appreciation Month" are considered perfectly acceptable & non-racist, then why not "White Appreciation Month"? That is what Racial Equality is all about. If White Appreciation Month is not acceptable, then neither should Black or Hispanic Months be.

never heard of Black Appreciation Month, or Hispanic Appreciation Month.
- DH Lawrence
spot

About darned time!

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1479035 wrote: never heard of Black Appreciation Month, or Hispanic Appreciation Month.

FourPart is used to local Appreciation Weekends in this country, I expect he's extrapolated. London has one in Notting Hill, Bristol has one in St Pauls, they're pervasive.
spot

About darned time!

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1479027 wrote: And, what's up with the handbasket?That - the "hell in a handbasket" or handcart expression - is peculiarly American, as is the whole general fascination with hell itself. We phlegmatic Englishmen have few such expressions but those originating in America seem to fill pages of the OED - I looked, to see what the handbasket was about.
spot

About darned time!

Post by spot »

FourPart;1479029 wrote: He does have a point, though. If "Black Appreciation Month" & "Hispanic Appreciation Month" are considered perfectly acceptable & non-racist, then why not "White Appreciation Month"? That is what Racial Equality is all about. If White Appreciation Month is not acceptable, then neither should Black or Hispanic Months be.

I think they're saying that Appreciation Months are fine, we could even grit our teeth and have a Japanese Appreciation Month, but discounts offered to people who tick a specific racial box, which are at the same time refused to everyone else of less appreciated ethnicities, are a definite offence against good taste and the law.
spot

About darned time!

Post by spot »

Snooz;1479026 wrote: Is this racist?

Growing Number of Activists, Leaders Call on Black Community to Boycott White Businesses After Ferguson Decision - Atlanta Blackstar

Definitely, yes. And I have a terrible suspicion that in the United States it's illegal to organize or participate in a boycott of trade with Israel.

Where that leaves my call for a worldwide boycott of trade with the USA I'm not sure, but at least mine isn't even remotely racist.
Snooz

About darned time!

Post by Snooz »

spot;1479039 wrote: I think they're saying that Appreciation Months are fine, we could even grit our teeth and have a Japanese Appreciation Month, but discounts offered to people who tick a specific racial box, which are at the same time refused to everyone else of less appreciated ethnicities, are a definite offence against good taste and the law.

But how do you define white? Mexicans, Japanese, Chinese, etc are "white"... even POC can claim they have white ancestors to get a discount in a hole-in-the-wall ribs place in FumBuck Colorado. Some dolt in a pizza place said she'd never cater a gay wedding and a GoFundMe account (which raised $843,317) was started for the restaurant when people reacted badly. This guy is offering something for nothing and he's getting bomb threats.
Bruv

About darned time!

Post by Bruv »

The event is Black History month because unlike the majority of whites in the US they alone were transported halfway around the world to work as plantation slaves, bought and sold and bred like cattle, and in living memory were 'legally' very much third class non citizens of the richest most advanced nation in the history of the universe......so they celebrate the difference.

Why don't you set up a stall at the Notting Hill Carnival and advertise 10% off Jerk chicken for all your white customers..................what response would you expect?
spot

About darned time!

Post by spot »

Bruv;1479045 wrote: they alone were transported halfway around the world to work as plantation slaves, bought and sold and bred like cattle, and in living memory were 'legally' very much third class non citizens of the richest most advanced nation in the history of the universe

Oh, I say. Hold on there. That's a terrible exaggeration which I shall, if I may, correct forthwith. They were transported a quarter of the way around the world, not half.
LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1479044 wrote: But how do you define white? Mexicans, Japanese, Chinese, etc are "white"... even POC can claim they have white ancestors to get a discount in a hole-in-the-wall ribs place in FumBuck Colorado. Some dolt in a pizza place said she'd never cater a gay wedding and a GoFundMe account (which raised $843,317) was started for the restaurant when people reacted badly. This guy is offering something for nothing and he's getting bomb threats.

Simply put. As you said, people react badly. The "bomb threats" are probably of little consequence.

A friend of mine is blond hair-blued son of Mexico, born in Durango to a family who has been there since the days of Cortes and Montezuma. Looking at him you'd swear he is Swedish.

Skin color is pretty much meaningless, until some clown pulls this kind of thing.

The guy might as well give a discount to everyone who has blond hair, or blue eyes.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

About darned time!

Post by Snooz »

It might be worth noting that Colorado is a predominately white state. It's not like he's set up in an African-American neighborhood trying to exclude them. And it's also apparent that he's doing this for the publicity. It's unfortunate that we live in a society that think death threats are an acceptable way to show disapproval.
spot

About darned time!

Post by spot »

Snooz;1479044 wrote: But how do you define white? Mexicans, Japanese, Chinese, etc are "white"

My word you do live in a different part of the world, don't you. In England until recently not even the Irish qualified as white, and all those you list most certainly still don't.
LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1479026 wrote: Is this racist?

I would say, yes.
- DH Lawrence
spot

About darned time!

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1479050 wrote: The guy might as well give a discount to everyone who has blond hair, or blue eyes.Could I wear my weekend wig?
Bruv

About darned time!

Post by Bruv »

spot;1479049 wrote: Oh, I say. Hold on there. That's a terrible exaggeration which I shall, if I may, correct forthwith. They were transported a quarter of the way around the world, not half.

It seems like half way around the world when you have to row all the way yourself.
LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1479051 wrote: It might be worth noting that Colorado is a predominately white state. It's not like he's set up in an African-American neighborhood trying to exclude them. And it's also apparent that he's doing this for the publicity. It's unfortunate that we live in a society that think death threats are an acceptable way to show disapproval.

I doubt anyone who is truly sane believes death threats or bomb threats are acceptable, for any purpose.

Um, the area where this restaurant is has been primarily Hispanic for the last hundred or so years. It has been farming country growing sugar beets and corn. White folks started moving in after the sugar beet market collapsed in the 90s. The Hispanic Population of Milliken has fallen to near 30% from more than 60% in the 1980s.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

About darned time!

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac;1479057 wrote: I doubt anyone who is truly sane believes death threats or bomb threats are acceptable, for any purpose.

Um, the area where this restaurant is has been primarily Hispanic for the last hundred or so years. It has been farming country growing sugar beets and corn. White folks started moving in after the sugar beet market collapsed in the 90s. The Hispanic Population of Milliken has fallen to near 30% from more than 60% in the 1980s.

Hispanic can be any color, can't they? That doesn't really narrow it down.
ZAP

About darned time!

Post by ZAP »

Yeah but, yeah but! What about me? I have blonde hair, (albeit dyed,) red hair, blue eyes and my great grandma was Cherokee on the Trail of Tears, forced out of her homeland by all of the above. What kind of a discount do I get?
LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1479059 wrote: Hispanic can be any color, can't they? That doesn't really narrow it down.

So some Hispanics will get a discount, others won't. Interesting concept.

Want to see how that works when a family comes in, and some of them look white and some are more brown.

And what about them white farmers that have a rich tan?

How they gonna figure out who's white, and who's not?

Reckon I am going to have to check the place out that day.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

About darned time!

Post by FourPart »

A lot of the slaves weren't transported at all, but bred, like cattle.

I'm also Blonde Haired & Blue Eyed. The problem is that my hair started off as Black. The thing is that it started going Blonde when I was 13.
Bruv

About darned time!

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1479063 wrote: A lot of the slaves weren't transported at all, but bred, like cattle.

Well.......thats alright then.

Maybe they should use the South African test, a pencil pushed into your hair, if it stays in place you are black.

Or they might find a colour chart like Dulux's, very handy for colour coding customers discounts.
flopstock

About darned time!

Post by flopstock »

AnneBoleyn;1479017 wrote: It's illegal to offer discounts based on race.

White people should be appreciated as much as anyone else. Any statement to the contrary is racist.

"White Appreciation Day! June 11th. Because all Americans should be celebrated."

And I have a higher threshold for the office of president than most of the electorate. I NEVER vote 'party'. I NEVER assume that the 'other party' is evil and just no good for the country. Like religion, they both harm equally and should be done away with. A guy who thinks we should all be celebrated and everyone make a buck rather than dividing us to get the vote by putting down others - more qualified to lead a country than the jackals put forth by either major party, IMO.

AnneBoleyn

About darned time!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

How about a Human Appreciation Day?
AnneBoleyn

About darned time!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Snooz;1479023 wrote: Well done, you insulted our intelligence level and possible psychological damage and as an added bonus, you managed to throw in the always popular "racist" label.

You are welcome, and you make it so easy. Thanks.
AnneBoleyn

About darned time!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1479024 wrote: Hmmm?

So "White People Appreciation Day" didn't sound just a little racist?

Hard to tell what color a person is under those white robes & hoods.
flopstock

About darned time!

Post by flopstock »

I like the idea of this one too! :)

AnneBoleyn;1479078 wrote: How about a Human Appreciation Day?

flopstock

About darned time!

Post by flopstock »

Image if this was a white guy instead of a black woman..

Boston University condemns prof's racist tweets after Terrier alums bark | Fox News

LarsMac

About darned time!

Post by LarsMac »

flopstock;1479090 wrote: Image if this was a white guy instead of a black woman..

Boston University condemns prof's racist tweets after Terrier alums bark | Fox News

A white guy, bad-mouthing white men?

Yeah, that might be news.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

About darned time!

Post by flopstock »

LarsMac;1479093 wrote: A white guy, bad-mouthing white men?

Yeah, that might be news.

No, a white guy trashing black women. Or anything but a white man, come to think of it.

Return to “Current Events”