Post by Snowfire »

Live feed. Its landed and at the right place

Rosetta | rendezvous with a comet
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Rendezvous with a comet....Live feed

Post by Snowfire »

Apparently the anchors didnt fire when it landed so it "bounced" and landed again. They arent sure how/why it is on the surface without the anchors holding it on the surface
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
FG-administator

Post by FG-administator »

A great moment. One wonders whether it will still be there on Thursday but to have photos from the site is an impressive stage to have reached.

☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals
theia

Post by theia »

The excitement of one of the scientists on the news was wonderful to see.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Wonderful, marvelous. Great achievement.
spot

Post by spot »

Oh, I say. Well done that lander, it did survive the bouncing after all. ESA has surpassed itself.

ESA scientist Mark McCaughrean told the BBC: "It's been a long seven months, and to be quite honest we weren't sure it would happen - there are a lot of very happy people around Europe at the moment."

Philae was carrying large amounts of data that scientists hoped to download once they made contact again, he said.

"I think we're optimistic now that it's awake that we'll have several months of scientific data to pore over," he added.

Philae comet lander wakes up, says European Space Agency - BBC News

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

spot;1480609 wrote: Oh, I say. Well done that lander, it did survive the bouncing after all. ESA has surpassed itself.

ESA scientist Mark McCaughrean told the BBC: "It's been a long seven months, and to be quite honest we weren't sure it would happen - there are a lot of very happy people around Europe at the moment."

Philae was carrying large amounts of data that scientists hoped to download once they made contact again, he said.

"I think we're optimistic now that it's awake that we'll have several months of scientific data to pore over," he added.

Philae comet lander wakes up, says European Space Agency - BBC News

Indeed it has! It's a "first" in space encounters and achievements. Still pretty amazed they managed it! I just hope that the gravitational influence of Sol/other planets doesn't cause the comet to "roll", and deprive Philae of power.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Post by spot »

Tomorrow is the final day of the Rosetta flight, it's about to very slowly land on the comet and provide close-up data all the way down. It's not expected to survive the final few inches but the photos it takes will be all over the newspapers after the landing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Current Events”