Presidential Doublespeak

spot

Presidential Doublespeak

Post by spot »

Might I quote George Orwell?To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them...

1984Might I bring to mind that the last time Tripoli was bombed, it was by the US Air Force?

Might I quote President Obama's press conference a couple of days back? The United States also strongly supports the universal rights of the Libyan people. That includes [...] the ability of the Libyan people to determine their own destiny [...] cannot be denied through violence or suppression.

[...] Like all governments, the Libyan government has a responsibility to refrain from violence [...]

Remarks by the President on Libya | The White House

Pot, Mr. President. Kettle. Put your own house in order. The ability of every people on Earth to determine their own destiny cannot be denied through violence or suppression. Stop occupying foreign territory.

If I remember right President Gaddafi's daughter was killed by the US bombing, the last time Tripoli was bombed. And you wonder how people get the way they end up? You cannot be serious. Accept the responsibility where it belongs before you generate even more people like him.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
DrLeftover

Presidential Doublespeak

Post by DrLeftover »

But of course when the US bombed Libya it was out of the blue, for no good reason, and without any sort of provocation or warning. Right? Of course right.

The US is the world's bully. We blow people up in markets and embassies here and there, and hijack aircraft and ships and just go rampaging all over like that.

Those bad Americans, we need a President to go out and appologize for our terrible behavior, then the world will love us again.
[Signature Removed]
spot

Presidential Doublespeak

Post by spot »

I don't remember the hijacking aircraft bit. Blowing up passenger liners in flight, yes, but not hijacking.

I doubt whether a mere apology will regain the love, either. The ability of every people on Earth to determine their own destiny cannot be denied through violence or suppression, remember? They're your President's words, not mine.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
along-for-the-ride

Presidential Doublespeak

Post by along-for-the-ride »

With your permission, I quote:

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

Karl Marx
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
LarsMac

Presidential Doublespeak

Post by LarsMac »

along-for-the-ride;1354646 wrote: With your permission, I quote:

Karl Marx

I thought it was Groucho said that.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Presidential Doublespeak

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1354712 wrote: [QUOTE=along-for-the-ride;1354646]History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

Karl MarxI thought it was Groucho said that.[/QUOTE]I'm well puzzled by it. Whether it was Karl or Groucho it was that things happen twice, AFTR has it happening three times.
Ahso!

Presidential Doublespeak

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1354714 wrote: I'm well puzzled by it. Whether it was Karl or Groucho it was that things happen twice, AFTR has it happening three times.The way it's been misquoted all around the internet it might as well had been Harpo, huh. Something tells me this version is uniquely American, and most likely conservative.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
along-for-the-ride

Presidential Doublespeak

Post by along-for-the-ride »

along-for-the-ride;1354646 wrote: With your permission, I quote:

Karl Marx

Good observations. :)

Perhaps this quote means that history keeps repeating itself, sometimes as a tragedy, sometimes as a farce.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
spot

Presidential Doublespeak

Post by spot »

along-for-the-ride;1354739 wrote: Good observations. :)

Perhaps this quote means that history keeps repeating itself, sometimes as a tragedy, sometimes as a farce.

I expect it does, but if that's what it says you really ought to remove Herr Marx's name from it out of respect for the dead. Essentially what we're trying to say is that it's neither a quote nor even a paraphrase.
spot

Re: Presidential Doublespeak

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:02 pm along-for-the-ride;1354646 wrote: With your permission, I quote:

Karl Marx

I thought it was Groucho said that.
I eventually went and checked.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it", The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress (1905-1906), Vol. I, Reason in Common Sense, George Santayana

citation: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/George_Santayana

That takes it back to 1905/6, nobody seems to have an earlier version.

Karl Marx died in 1883.

I'll be awarding brownie points to anything provably earlier than 1906.

Return to “Current Events”