Is the need of salvation an evil lie from religions?

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Some religions like Christianity and Islam teach that people are condemned by God and that we have to work to gain salvation. God created us ill, and orders us to be well, on pain of tremendous eternal torture and eventual death. This teaching follows the one where we are told that God is unknowable, unfathomable and works in mysterious ways. This makes the notions of condemnation and the need for salvation obvious lies.

Gnostic Christianity does not use this type of carrot and stick motivation in its theology. We are Universalists and only see a heaven, no hell. We think God too good a creator to ever have to condemn anyone. Our God is a winner, not the loser God that Christianity has invented. All the Gods are myths created to help us reach our highest human potential and are only tools to open our inner eye. Our single eye as Jesus calls it.

How we can forgive ourselves is that as Universalists, we have tied righteousness to equality. The logic trail from there says that if God is to punish anyone, he would have to punish everyone as everyone contributes to what we all are.

For instance. If God were to punish Hitler, he would have to revue what made Hitler what he ended up being. God would follow his time line and see perhaps that his parents spanked him and God would know what we know today, that spanking creates resentment and a delinquent attitude. That beginning would see Hitler's parents setting his mindset which eventually flowered into his tyrannical nature. So to be just, God would automatically have to punish Hitler's parents. That same logic would apply to everyone who contributed or facilitated Hitler's rise to infamy.

So for you and me to blame just ourselves for what we are would be quite unjust. This is not to say that we hold no responsibility for our actions, just not all of them.

Do you agree that the need of Salvation promoted by religions is an evil lie?

Regards

DL
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Nope. Since only a handful of religious sects have that notion, it seems pointless to argue. I think it was the Buddha who said, "The only one who can truly forgive you is yourself." Or, maybe that was Groucho.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Gnostic Christian Bishop

LarsMac;1493990 wrote: Nope. Since only a handful of religious sects have that notion, it seems pointless to argue. I think it was the Buddha who said, "The only one who can truly forgive you is yourself." Or, maybe that was Groucho.

So just because only a few sects have it, it is true.

Do I understand you correctly?

Regards

DL
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1494015 wrote: So just because only a few sects have it, it is true.

Do I understand you correctly?

I doubt it.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
superhorn

Post by superhorn »

Salvation and damnation are a ludicrous notion invented by the religion of Christianity and no more real than Santa Claus or the tooth fairy . The notion of God(whatever that is) sending his "son" by a "virgin" chosen out of th blue 2,000 years ago to "redeem " mankind by being crucified and purifying man of original sin may be the looniest idea in world history .

It makes absolutely no sense and defies all logic and common sense . There is no proof that a Jesus Christ ever existed , only questionable stories in the New Testament, written many years after the death of Jesus . Written by different anonymous authors presenting conflicting stories about the birth , preaching and death of Jesus .

If there was a Jesus, he may have been a dissident Rabbi in ancient Palestine under the Roman yoke who was executed for fomenting sedition and a possible uprising by the Romans.

After his death, all manner of tall tales about him grew . In this respect, it's somewhat like the legend of Paul Bunyan , who appears to have been a huge lumberjack in 19th century America and a colorful personality . After his death, numerous fanciful tales about him emerged .

If Jesus was crucified as a sacrifice by God to redeem mankind, at least though who buy into this poppycock , what happened to the countless people who lived before him ?

Were they sent to hell merely because they had the misfortune to live before Jesus ?

And what about the countless people in the past 2,000 years who live in remote areas and never got to hear about Jesus and the salvation he offers? Have they all gone to hell ?

There is a story about an Eskimo man who had been told about Jesus and salvation by a missionary . . He asked , "If I had never heard about Jesus, would I still go to hell ? The missionary said , "No". So the Eskimo asked "Then why did you tell me about him ?"
Gnostic Christian Bishop

superhorn;1494639 wrote:

There is a story about an Eskimo man who had been told about Jesus and salvation by a missionary . . He asked , "If I had never heard about Jesus, would I still go to hell ? The missionary said , "No". So the Eskimo asked "Then why did you tell me about him ?"

Welcome new guy.

Cute.

Seems that you see 20/20 on Christianity so we will not fight much.

Regards

DL
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I certainly have no belief in the Religious aspect of things, and I have my severe doubts as to the existence of a Jesus. However, it must also be considered that the initial term "Virgin" does not necessarily refer to the sexual sense, but to the term "Innocent".
Gnostic Christian Bishop

FourPart;1494672 wrote: I certainly have no belief in the Religious aspect of things, and I have my severe doubts as to the existence of a Jesus. However, it must also be considered that the initial term "Virgin" does not necessarily refer to the sexual sense, but to the term "Innocent".

Define that as you will, but for God to cuckold Joseph and then show himself to be a deadbeat dad as well as a coveter of another mans' wife, make God rather a heavy sinner.

Strange.

First the Sons of God use the earth as a brothel and cause God to genocide all but 8 humans, and then God himself comes down and uses one of our women.

And people are stupid enough to believe such a story and even think God planned it all from the beginning. I would laugh if this was not such a pathetic situation.

Regards

DL

Return to “General Religious Discussions”