The Church is dying.

User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Smaug;1488017 wrote: On what basis do you 'prefer your own colour'? I have no colour bias, though I'm not keen on extreme religious bias. I tend to judge a person NOT on their colour, but on their ACTIONS. And I am giving my advice where it belongs.

Lest you forget, it was you who called AB a 'female dog'.....3 times, if my memory serves me correctly. And you earned yourself a well deserved ban for it!


I had a little scenario I used to show the difference between positive and negative discrimination. Most people forget what discriminate actually means.

Almost all refused to answer which gave me their answer, in a way.

I do not know your color and it does not mater to this little question. In this it is a blind test.

You are on a bridge and two drowning people are going quickly by and will go over a falls if you do not intervene. You can only save one of them. One is your color and the other is not. Who will you save?

Regards

DL
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

FourPart;1488022 wrote: One cannot be racist against Muslims, as Islam is not a race. It is a Religion.

Varying cultures, regardless of what that culture may be, will always tend to Ghettoise regions, rather than integrate. This is especially so in Asian communities. Every city has its "Little India" area. The big difference is that with Islam they proudly boast allegiance to their own (Sharia) laws, and once their Ghettos grow they begin to exclude UK law in favour of Sharia law, intimidating non-Muslims who act in ways contary to Sharia, yet if we clamp down on this sort of incident it is considered non-PC.

It is still traditional for Muslims to arrange marriages, and to pay a dowry (thus buying / selling the women). However, this is also, more often than not arranging for wives from outside the UK. My friend Ebe's son went over to Paris a couple of weeks ago to meet & marry his new bride (who doesn't speak English). Although this is an official marriage under French Law (having been performed in the Registry Office), under Islam it is only considered an Engagement until the ceremony is performed in the Mosque next year. Until then, she remains in Paris - only having met the once - on their wedding / engagement day. If you look on Google you will find there are abundant Islamic sites to arrange such weddings.

Whilst it is true that arranged marriages have been the foundation of many other cultures (including our own Royal family throughout history), it is still a matter of not being much more than Slave Trading. As far as Ebe is concerned, he's looking forward to her coming over, fully expecting her to be a free live-in housekeeper for him.




She had better not have a though of changing her mind as this victim did.



Regards

DL
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Mickiel;1488078 wrote: Interesting view; so do you consider Whites the great saviors of the world? So advanced that other nations NEED them? I must say, with a close look at human history, only in the 20th century could one even come close to actually having a case for that. The past is full of non whites ruling the world, is it not? Each race had its time of glory, and if a race takes its time to think themselves superior, well that is just history repeating itself in human selfishness.

The White race has offered a great deal to humanity, no doubt; but it, like the others, has proven itself gullible to the infections of being on top. The infection of having that superior attitude which things itself as being savior to humanity. There was a time that the sun never set on White influence on the world, and the White man was very impressive in their world domination, such a thing infects generations of their generate, for sure. So I am no longer shocked by Whites who still are influenced by this in their thinking. I honor those who can see through this and think in other terms. But its a very hard thing to handle; some are simply overwhelmed by it and think along those paths that history has experienced.

To think more of yourself than what you really are, is simply a trap; a cave; a dream that one keeps trying to live in reality. A dream that some never awake from.


So eager for a cheap point that you want me to repeat this over and over eh?

"I do think that the Western countries have the most advance social systems, regardless of the color or race of that particular country."

Look elsewhere for a racist buddy. You will not find on in me.

You show your own Christian heart, or lack of.

Regards

DL
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 12159
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

The Church is dying.

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1488277 wrote: I had a little scenario I used to show the difference between positive and negative discrimination. Most people forget what discriminate actually means.

Almost all refused to answer which gave me their answer, in a way.

I do not know your color and it does not mater to this little question. In this it is a blind test.

You are on a bridge and two drowning people are going quickly by and will go over a falls if you do not intervene. You can only save one of them. One is your color and the other is not. Who will you save?

Regards

DL


Well, gee, I would grab the closest one, as that would be the best chance I'd have of saving either.
“All it takes to get elected in twenty-first-century America is a mob of frightened sheep and a wolf with a nice smile,”
― Greg Bear, Darwin's Children
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6437
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

The Church is dying.

Post by FourPart »

I think I'd grab whichever one is least likely to pull me over with him / her. Also, I'd consider whether it's a case of suicide or accidental. If one is a suicide, save the accidental one. Respect the wishes of the other.
User avatar
Mickiel
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

The Church is dying.

Post by Mickiel »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1488279 wrote: So eager for a cheap point that you want me to repeat this over and over eh?

"I do think that the Western countries have the most advance social systems, regardless of the color or race of that particular country."

Look elsewhere for a racist buddy. You will not find on in me.

You show your own Christian heart, or lack of.

Regards

DL


I am not a Christian, and the question was simple and serious. I smelled racism, and I probed for it.
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

LarsMac;1488280 wrote: Well, gee, I would grab the closest one, as that would be the best chance I'd have of saving either.


They are both the same distance from you.

Do not add to the scenario.

Just show your choice. Or was that you giving it?

Regards

DL
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

FourPart;1488284 wrote: I think I'd grab whichever one is least likely to pull me over with him / her. Also, I'd consider whether it's a case of suicide or accidental. If one is a suicide, save the accidental one. Respect the wishes of the other.


You do not have time for that and all other conditions are the same.

Just give your answer. No adding stuff in.

Regards

DL
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Mickiel;1488291 wrote: I am not a Christian, and the question was simple and serious. I smelled racism, and I probed for it.


Looking for your reflection perhaps.

Regards

DL
User avatar
Mickiel
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

The Church is dying.

Post by Mickiel »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1488306 wrote: Looking for your reflection perhaps.

Regards

DL


I hold no interest in childish exchange or speaking with people with obvious chips on their shoulders. You seem so ready to just fight anybody; but I understand that urge and habit, I used to be that way myself.

I just grew tired of fighting.
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Mickiel;1488312 wrote: I hold no interest in childish exchange or speaking with people with obvious chips on their shoulders. You seem so ready to just fight anybody; but I understand that urge and habit, I used to be that way myself.

I just grew tired of fighting.


I understand. It is hard to fight without ammunition.

Regards

DL
User avatar
Mickiel
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

The Church is dying.

Post by Mickiel »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1488313 wrote: I understand. It is hard to fight without ammunition.

Regards

DL


Its easy to fight, if that's all one knows to do. Its harder to communicate using respect and honor , because it requires more strength and maturity; fighting when its not necessary is just a dullness to humanity. It robs clarity. Sarcasm is just a threat to humane communication. I have read a lot of your conversations with others, always filled with rife and turmoil; you are on a definite road to drowning out whatever is left in you to offer constructive communication.
Ted
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Ted »

gmc with all due respect I suggest that you read some modern theological books. You are ranting about things the most churches have given up. You most certainly are not describing any church with which I am affiliated.
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Mickiel;1488322 wrote: Its easy to fight, if that's all one knows to do. Its harder to communicate using respect and honor , because it requires more strength and maturity; fighting when its not necessary is just a dullness to humanity. It robs clarity. Sarcasm is just a threat to humane communication. I have read a lot of your conversations with others, always filled with rife and turmoil; you are on a definite road to drowning out whatever is left in you to offer constructive communication.


You are just biased because you know I think you a fool with is head up God's ass.

That is why you do not engage me from back when I first joined.

I did not let your B S baffle my brains and I can understand how one of your ilk would not forgive such.

Regards

DL
Ted
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Ted »

In Greece there are small chapels everywhere. This is not the orthodox church being hard up. The constitution guarantees every person the right to have a church or chapel. It is the local people who spend their time and money to construct these buildings. It is in part the same in Canada. Churches are usually build where there is a group of folks who have raised the money want a new church.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 4304
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

The Church is dying.

Post by tude dog »

Ted;1491889 wrote: In Greece there are small chapels everywhere. This is not the orthodox church being hard up. The constitution guarantees every person the right to have a church or chapel. It is the local people who spend their time and money to construct these buildings. It is in part the same in Canada. Churches are usually build where there is a group of folks who have raised the money want a new church.


Sounds like where I've lived.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles,” Doug Larson.

“Never doubt the courage of the French. They were the ones who discovered that snails are edible.”
― Doug Larson
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Ted;1491889 wrote: In Greece there are small chapels everywhere. This is not the orthodox church being hard up. The constitution guarantees every person the right to have a church or chapel. It is the local people who spend their time and money to construct these buildings. It is in part the same in Canada. Churches are usually build where there is a group of folks who have raised the money want a new church.


No argument.

For sure it is all about Christians wile their creed say it is supposed to be all about taking care of the poor.

Crystal Cathedrals are not good for feeding the poor. Neither is air fare to move pedophile priests to other locations to gain impunity for their crimes.

You go ahead and respect that satanic church.

Regards

DL
Ted
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Ted »

You are right about that but you want to throw the baby out with the bath water. Try Crossan, Borg, Ehrman, Spong, Bass, Cox and a host of others. In addition I missed a comment you made about reconciliation and not costing the church money. Wrong on that one for sure. Once again it is trying to lump all in one basket. In some things you are ranting about issues long past and being corrected.
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Ted;1492102 wrote: You are right about that but you want to throw the baby out with the bath water. Try Crossan, Borg, Ehrman, Spong, Bass, Cox and a host of others. In addition I missed a comment you made about reconciliation and not costing the church money. Wrong on that one for sure. Once again it is trying to lump all in one basket. In some things you are ranting about issues long past and being corrected.


You would have a small point if Christianity and Islam were God seeking cults. They are not. They are idol worshiping cults whose immoral tenets are not worthy of respect.

Sure, we all need fellowship of some kind but better to have those as seeking God than having the delusional ones who constantly lie to their sheep.

You are valuing lies while I value truth. You respect liars while I do not.

Regards

DL
Ted
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Ted »

Gnostic with all do respect you have no understanding of any of the great faiths. If you did you would not be making such blanket statements. Are those statements the result of bias. Mine are but I do recognize the validity of all the great faiths.
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6437
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

The Church is dying.

Post by FourPart »

I would agree that the Christians use idolatry a great deal, such as with the use of the cross, statues & icons of Mary & Jesus, as well as all those paintings of cherubs (naked baby boys - I've always had misgivings about that, what with the reputation the Catholic Church has with paedophiles), but the nearest I'm aware of with Islam is the Star & Cresent, and possibly the pillars representing Satan when they do the ritual stoning at Mecca. However, when I attended Friday Prayers I did notice a golden hand. I was told that this represented the hand of one of their prophets or something which was chopped off in battle, although this was not a focus of prayer.
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Ted;1492110 wrote: Gnostic with all do respect you have no understanding of any of the great faiths. If you did you would not be making such blanket statements. Are those statements the result of bias. Mine are but I do recognize the validity of all the great faiths.


Valid is not moral. You are respecting garbage.





Regards

DL
Ted
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Ted »

Actually the statues etc are simply aids to worship they are not seen as though they were a separate God. The Bible has become and object of idolatry because they use it as the only revelation from God. They ignore such things as the Gospel of John where Jesus is reported to have said new things would be presented when the human is ready for them. If God does something new and it is not in the Bible then it is denied. Idolatry.
Ted
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Ted »

Gnostic I stand by what I have said. Time to read and study.
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Ted;1492268 wrote: Actually the statues etc are simply aids to worship they are not seen as though they were a separate God. The Bible has become and object of idolatry because they use it as the only revelation from God. They ignore such things as the Gospel of John where Jesus is reported to have said new things would be presented when the human is ready for them. If God does something new and it is not in the Bible then it is denied. Idolatry.


That is all that Christianity and Islam are. Idol worshiping cults with their hopes on the supernatural. That is quite close to insanity and you promote it.

Regards

DL
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Ted;1492269 wrote: Gnostic I stand by what I have said. Time to read and study.


To study while trying to justify beliefs is pointless. To seek with an open mind is much better.

Regards

DL
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 12159
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

The Church is dying.

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492413 wrote: ... To seek with an open mind is much better.




And you would know this, how?

Just asking, as you seem to have forgotten that part, yourself.
“All it takes to get elected in twenty-first-century America is a mob of frightened sheep and a wolf with a nice smile,”
― Greg Bear, Darwin's Children
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6437
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

The Church is dying.

Post by FourPart »

You accuse Islam of Idolatry. Just what Idols do you claim they use?
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

LarsMac;1492421 wrote: And you would know this, how?

Just asking, as you seem to have forgotten that part, yourself.


Once the mind is filled with the facts, conclusions can be drawn.

Why is your mind closed to the fact that Islam and Christianity are immoral creeds and do not deserve our respect?

Many here have talked of the various immoral tenets that those religions hold yet you ignore them for childish remarks and stone throwing like you did in this last post of yours.

Why are you so afraid of looking at the immorality of those creeds?

Regards

DL
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6437
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

The Church is dying.

Post by FourPart »

Define 'Moral'.
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

FourPart;1492427 wrote: You accuse Islam of Idolatry. Just what Idols do you claim they use?


What is the Qur'an if not an idol that Muslims kill for defaming, criticizing or burning?

Is Allah not idolized and put above all else? Is Mohamed not idolized and killed for?

Regards

DL
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

FourPart;1492430 wrote: Define 'Moral'.


Try google. I did not invent a new word nor do I define it in a non-acceptable way.

Regards

DL
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6437
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

The Church is dying.

Post by FourPart »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492431 wrote: What is the Qur'an if not an idol that Muslims kill for defaming, criticizing or burning?



Is Allah not idolized and put above all else? Is Mohamed not idolized and killed for?



Regards

DL


An idol is a thing that is worshipped in place of or as a God. The Qu'ran is not considered a God. It is considered as the word of God. Nor is the Qu'ran worshipped as a God.
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

FourPart;1492435 wrote: An idol is a thing that is worshipped in place of or as a God. The Qu'ran is not considered a God. It is considered as the word of God. Nor is the Qu'ran worshipped as a God.


Christians and Muslims are idol worshipers.

Live with it.

Any who can name a God or believe in his (Word), is an idol worshiper.

Regards

DL
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6437
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

The Church is dying.

Post by FourPart »

Christians use idols, in the way of the crucifix & the statues & images of Jesus & Mary, etc. You won't find anything like that in a Mosque. The Religious term of an idol refers to Graven Images. Live with it.
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

FourPart;1492441 wrote: Christians use idols, in the way of the crucifix & the statues & images of Jesus & Mary, etc. You won't find anything like that in a Mosque. The Religious term of an idol refers to Graven Images. Live with it.


What is the star and crescent, Allah and Mohamed, if not idols?

Live with it.

All in religions who have a God and are not seekers after a God are idol worshipers.

Regards

DL
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 12159
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

The Church is dying.

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492444 wrote: What is the star and crescent, Allah and Mohamed, if not idols?

Live with it.

All in religions who have a God and are not seekers after a God are idol worshipers.

Regards

DL


again you show your sheltered life. May I suggest you spend a little more time with Wikipedia? Or even better, go to the library and hang out for a while.
“All it takes to get elected in twenty-first-century America is a mob of frightened sheep and a wolf with a nice smile,”
― Greg Bear, Darwin's Children
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

LarsMac;1492449 wrote: again you show your sheltered life. May I suggest you spend a little more time with Wikipedia? Or even better, go to the library and hang out for a while.


Poor loser.

Regards

DL
User avatar
Saint_
Posts: 3311
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: The Four Corners

The Church is dying.

Post by Saint_ »

Not to go off track, but I was thinking just today, as I am working grading papers and entering grades, why I don't go to church anymore. I was raised to go to church religiously, pun intended, every Sunday. After I left home and began to live on my own, I just quit. Not that I got any less spiritual or religious, or even Christian. I still pray, although it's a much more informal kind of prayer, more of a "conversation with God."

I was also thinking that it would be nice to go back and connect with people again, but although I like the idea, I know I'm not going to do it. I'm working 12 hour days, and Saturday school is coming up, with Sunday my only day to catch up. More than that, Church just has little or no meaning to me any more. I find it boring in the extreme.

Hmmm...strange.
Ted
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Ted »

Church has lost its meaning for many people.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15820
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492428 wrote: Once the mind is filled with the facts, conclusions can be drawn.

Why is your mind closed to the fact that Islam and Christianity are immoral creeds and do not deserve our respect?

Many here have talked of the various immoral tenets that those religions hold yet you ignore them for childish remarks and stone throwing like you did in this last post of yours.

Why are you so afraid of looking at the immorality of those creeds?

Regards

DL


Define fact - you seem to use it to indicate something that you wish to believe.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15820
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492444 wrote: What is the star and crescent, Allah and Mohamed, if not idols?

Live with it.

All in religions who have a God and are not seekers after a God are idol worshipers.

Regards

DL


Allah is a concept, Mohamed was a person, the star and crescent are indications of allegiance - none of them are idols in the classic sense.
Ted
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Ted »

Gnostic there's that chip again.
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6437
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

The Church is dying.

Post by FourPart »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492444 wrote: What is the star and crescent, Allah and Mohamed, if not idols?

Live with it.

All in religions who have a God and are not seekers after a God are idol worshipers.

Regards

DL


I suggest you look up the meaning of the Star & Crescent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_and_crescent

You will note that the symbol of the Star & Crescent has been going far longer than Islam has, and that it never even became associated with Islam until the 1800s. Nor is there any mention of being one being indicative of Allah & the other being Mohammed. You might just as easily claim that the symbol of the star in Christianity is that of being symbolic of Jesus himself, whereas it is only symbolic of the legendary form of navigation to his place of birth.
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Saint_;1492455 wrote: Not to go off track, but I was thinking just today, as I am working grading papers and entering grades, why I don't go to church anymore. I was raised to go to church religiously, pun intended, every Sunday. After I left home and began to live on my own, I just quit. Not that I got any less spiritual or religious, or even Christian. I still pray, although it's a much more informal kind of prayer, more of a "conversation with God."

I was also thinking that it would be nice to go back and connect with people again, but although I like the idea, I know I'm not going to do it. I'm working 12 hour days, and Saturday school is coming up, with Sunday my only day to catch up. More than that, Church just has little or no meaning to me any more. I find it boring in the extreme.

Hmmm...strange.


I see nothing strange.

People naturally do what is rewarding and your church is not rewarding you by maintaining an interest in what they are doing.

Religions are tribal groups, basically social clubs, and you seem to recognize that with your "connect with people again" .

Bowling would likely be a more entertaining pass time for you and that way you would not be supporting an immoral creed.

Regards

DL
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Bryn Mawr;1492461 wrote: Define fact - you seem to use it to indicate something that you wish to believe.


Still did not find a dictionary eh?



My wishes do effect judgement for sure but that does not mean I distort the facts the way you indicate.

As long as no one can refute that the religions in question are immoral, I will continue to judge correctly.

None are trying as they know what is moral and what is not. That or they do not know what is moral and are tucking tail and running away.

Regards

DL
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Bryn Mawr;1492462 wrote: Allah is a concept, Mohamed was a person, the star and crescent are indications of allegiance - none of them are idols in the classic sense.


Ok. Believers have no idols. They kill for other reasons that have nothing to do with their religion.

Jihad is a secular word and has nothing to do with Islam.

Regards

DL
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Ted;1492468 wrote: Gnostic there's that chip again.


Yes. I hate immoral religions that try to force people to comply by threat.

You might wonder why you are supporting immoral religions and have no axe to grind yourself.

Regards

DL
User avatar
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

FourPart;1492479 wrote: I suggest you look up the meaning of the Star & Crescent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_and_crescent

You will note that the symbol of the Star & Crescent has been going far longer than Islam has, and that it never even became associated with Islam until the 1800s. Nor is there any mention of being one being indicative of Allah & the other being Mohammed. You might just as easily claim that the symbol of the star in Christianity is that of being symbolic of Jesus himself, whereas it is only symbolic of the legendary form of navigation to his place of birth.


I suggest you research the word idol.

As to the roots of the word and emblems idolized, you might remember that the Christian cross was around a long time before Christianity took it to themselves.

Regards

DL
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15820
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

The Church is dying.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492488 wrote: Still did not find a dictionary eh?



My wishes do effect judgement for sure but that does not mean I distort the facts the way you indicate.

As long as no one can refute that the religions in question are immoral, I will continue to judge correctly.

None are trying as they know what is moral and what is not. That or they do not know what is moral and are tucking tail and running away.

Regards

DL


It's not a case of finding a dictionary, it's a case of finding out how you are using the word because it sure ain't the definition in any dictionary I've seen.

What you present as "facts" are mostly unsupported suppositions and wishful thinking.

As to whether religions are moral or not that is a matter of personal judgement, very dependant on your view of the religion in question (*) and, as I have said before, in my opinion you are confusing religion with Church and blaming religion for the failing of the Church.

* For example, what is Christianity? I grew up in a Church where the New Testament defined Christianity and the Old Testament, whilst of interest, was more a history of the people than scripture whereas other Christian Churches (I'm thinking Far Rider / Jester here) see the OT as fundamental and the NT as a nicety on top of it. Both are Christian but any argument regarding morality would be totally changed depending of which viewpoint you take.

Is Islam moral? Which sect are you looking at? Even I can think of six (compared to the several hundred within Christianity) and each of them has a different interpretation of the Quran and the fundamentals of the religion.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”