Embryonic Stem Cells without Killing!

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

PBS ain't what it used to be

Nova Science Now has a phenominal new episode. One part tells about a scientist, Shinya Yamanaka, who has figured out how to get embryonic stem cells without using/destroying embryos! Here's a NY Times article on the same thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/11/science/11prof.html

“When I saw the embryo, I suddenly realized there was such a small difference between it and my daughters,” said Dr. Yamanaka, 45, a father of two and now a professor at the Institute for Integrated Cell-Material Sciences at Kyoto University. “I thought, we can’t keep destroying embryos for our research. There must be another way.”

The guy has figured out how a cell is programmed to become a skin cell, heart cell, brain cell, etc, and can deprogram it - making it become a stem cell again!. I believe It's only a matter of time for this breakthrough to lead to deprogramming cancer cells, curing cancer! They've already cured sickle cell anemia in mice.

All these scientists that said there's no other way to do stem cell reasearch than to kill humans in the earliest stages of life. Thank God someone has more imagination than that. :yh_clap
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I admit I don't fully understand stem cell but what you just said sounds good. And good on PBS too. It's an institution in itself.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

bump? :-2
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:yh_clap:yh_clap:yh_clap:yh_clap Amen stem cell research will cure many, many diseases BRAVO..!! I love PBS and NOVA has been on my A list for decades. :cool::cool:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

sounds good, wonder what Bush thinks?? he is sooo against it. JERK
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

southern yankee;931790 wrote: sounds good, wonder what Bush thinks?? he is sooo against it. JERK
He's not against stem cell research and never has been. Even embryonic stem cell research is legal and never stopped in the US. President Bush simply stopped federal funding on it because it destroys human life. The taxpayer still shell out plenty for other stem cell research. Now researchers can get embryonic stem cells without destroying embryos.
southern yankee

Accountable;932111 wrote: He's not against stem cell research and never has been. Even embryonic stem cell research is legal and never stopped in the US. President Bush simply stopped federal funding on it because it destroys human life. The taxpayer still shell out plenty for other stem cell research. Now researchers can get embryonic stem cells without destroying embryos. will keep the comment i would like to make under my hat;)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

southern yankee;932161 wrote: will keep the comment i would like to make under my hat;)
What on earth for?? The whole purpose of my posts (well, most of them ;)) is to stimulate thought and examine opinions.
southern yankee

Accountable;932224 wrote: What on earth for?? The whole purpose of my posts (well, most of them ;)) is to stimulate thought and examine opinions. OK...... i feel. they are not KILLING babies for this research, That is just the Catholics and the bible thumpers saying they are. I would rather see aborted remains to be used to help mankind. then to be dumped. i feel there is not a group of people, who go about making cells for this research. This research should not be put on the back burner for any group. When any medical advancement came out in the middle ages. the devil or witchcraft was behind it, was belived by some. Sounds like it is the same feelings today. just sad.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

southern yankee;932246 wrote: OK...... i feel. they are not KILLING babies for this research, That is just the Catholics and the bible thumpers saying they are. I would rather see aborted remains to be used to help mankind. then to be dumped. i feel there is not a group of people, who go about making cells for this research. This research should not be put on the back burner for any group. When any medical advancement came out in the middle ages. the devil or witchcraft was behind it, was belived by some. Sounds like it is the same feelings today. just sad.
But thanks to this research everyone can be satisfied. The Bible thumpers get their way, you get yours. No one has to die for research now, not even those you don't define as alive. That whole issue can be left in the dust - history.
southern yankee

Accountable;932252 wrote: But thanks to this research everyone can be satisfied. The Bible thumpers get their way, you get yours. No one has to die for research now, not even those you don't define as alive. That whole issue can be left in the dust - history. thank you for accepting my comment. that is what so wonderful about this country. we are free to disagree.:)

Return to “Science”