is global warming a myth

Carl44

is global warming a myth

Post by Carl44 »

i watched a tv programme on channel 4 the other day it pretty much said that all this global warming styff is just a money spinner ,that the Earth heats up every thousand years or so and co2 gases wherethe result of not the cause of global warming , I dont know what to think can we have a NICE little chat about it chaps :-6 :-6

chonsigirl

is global warming a myth

Post by chonsigirl »

Those cows do release alot of methane....................
Carl44

is global warming a myth

Post by Carl44 »

Carl44

is global warming a myth

Post by Carl44 »

chonsigirl;581263 wrote: Those cows do release alot of methane....................

ok i blame mcdonalds no burgers no cows :thinking: :thinking:
koan

is global warming a myth

Post by koan »

If you call Capt. Ray back from the depths of cyberspace I'll have to torture you for a while, jimbo. :wah:
Carl44

is global warming a myth

Post by Carl44 »

koan;581266 wrote: If you call Capt. Ray back from the depths of cyberspace I'll have to torture you for a while, jimbo. :wah:

no not the rap music nooooo :wah:

capt ray ???????
koan

is global warming a myth

Post by koan »

jimbo;581267 wrote: no not the rap music nooooo :wah:

capt ray ???????

Captain Ray: http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showp ... stcount=17
edge2125

is global warming a myth

Post by edge2125 »

As a bit of a weather nerd i can say with some confidence that global warming, in the manner big media spins it, is a myth.

Is the earth getting warmer? Yep, it sure is. Averaging about 0.2 degrees warmer per decade.

This is not an alarming rate and the increase cannot be directly related to any man made activity. 1998 was the hottest year on record. If we are heating up at such devastating rates, why have we not broken that record?

Big media loves to throw out gloom and doom. A global warming discussion would not be complete without the melting ice danger. They always mention icebergs breaking off and growing oceans levels...what they fail to report is that the interior ice packs are actually GROWING from snowfall freezing into ice while the warm ocean waters melt the outside edges. Antarctica is getting thicker as is the Greenland Ice sheet. These are indisputable facts, not some far sighted prediction based off of human fear of the unknown future.

I cast my vote with the plethora of esteemed researchers, Earth changes in cycles. It gets hot then it gets cold, rinse and repeat.
Carl44

is global warming a myth

Post by Carl44 »

edge2125;581279 wrote: As a bit of a weather nerd i can say with some confidence that global warming, in the manner big media spins it, is a myth.

Is the earth getting warmer? Yep, it sure is. Averaging about 0.2 degrees warmer per decade.

This is not an alarming rate and the increase cannot be directly related to any man made activity. 1998 was the hottest year on record. If we are heating up at such devastating rates, why have we not broken that record?

Big media loves to throw out gloom and doom. A global warming discussion would not be complete without the melting ice danger. They always mention icebergs breaking off and growing oceans levels...what they fail to report is that the interior ice packs are actually GROWING from snowfall freezing into ice while the warm ocean waters melt the outside edges. Antarctica is getting thicker as is the Greenland Ice sheet. These are indisputable facts, not some far sighted prediction based off of human fear of the unknown future.

I cast my vote with the plethora of esteemed researchers, Earth changes in cycles. It gets hot then it gets cold, rinse and repeat.

good post thats sorta what i had made of it all :-6
Tater Tazz

is global warming a myth

Post by Tater Tazz »

edge2125;581279 wrote: As a bit of a weather nerd i can say with some confidence that global warming, in the manner big media spins it, is a myth.

Very nice post.
Tater Tazz

is global warming a myth

Post by Tater Tazz »

Jimbo, what about El Nino?
Carl44

is global warming a myth

Post by Carl44 »

Scrat;581432 wrote: I really don't believe in all of the hoopla you find in the media but in light of certain facts that I have seen with my own eyes something is happening. Put simply, in a macro sense more energy is being added to the atmosphere than is normal.

What is it doing? I'm not sure but the glaciers in Glacier National Park are gone or going. Will we have bigger more destructive storms in the future because of the extra energy? I don't know.

There is a lot of "I don't knows" and a lot of "We don't knows" about this.

The one thing I do know is we have ONLY one place to live, and we had better stop treating it like we have a spare in the trunk, because we don't have another place to go.

hi scrat good to see you back again , i'm not sure whats the best plan , is it lets tax planes fuel , let millions of people die in africa in poverty , just in case ,i'm confused i dont think co2 has any baring on global warming at all , the big factor is sea temp if that gets warmer that will heat up the globe ,but that could take 100's if not 1000's of years , but what if i'm wrong ,my grandad used to say if you cut down all the trees your grand children wont have any shade ,just one of his sayings but its true
koan

is global warming a myth

Post by koan »

Galbally is the scientific champion in this matter. He has written a number of really well presented posts on the topic in other threads on FG. If he doesn't take on the battle in the next while I'll dig up his previous posts on it.

Though I think the Captain Ray link takes you to the last big thread on global warming that existed here.
Bryn Mawr

is global warming a myth

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Have you any sources for this information?
edge2125

is global warming a myth

Post by edge2125 »

I do, but it says im only allowed to post URL links if i have 15 or more posts. So until i chat up some more, ill have to wait. lol...but i saved the email i typed up so once i hit 15, ill post it for ya.
Carl44

is global warming a myth

Post by Carl44 »

edge2125;583314 wrote: I do, but it says im only allowed to post URL links if i have 15 or more posts. So until i chat up some more, ill have to wait. lol...but i saved the email i typed up so once i hit 15, ill post it for ya.
er how many posts you up to buddy :D
edge2125

is global warming a myth

Post by edge2125 »

This one would make a whopping number 12!
Carl44

is global warming a myth

Post by Carl44 »

edge2125;583319 wrote: This one would make a whopping number 12!

where abouts are you in the states :D
Galbally

is global warming a myth

Post by Galbally »

I just came across this one, this is like koan says a pet hate topic of mine, and I can tell you that based on everything I know global warming is far from a myth, and the scientific community and all the evidence backs up that statement. The politicization of this issue in the United States is the reason for the very disingenuous pseudo-science and misinformation going on, a lot of people have fallen for it as well, which is depressing. Anyway, I will post later on about it, don't have time right now. Global warming is a realtity, its already past the stage of arguing about whether its happening, it is, its a case of working out how to live with it over the next few decades and trying to mitigate the worst of it in the future. :)
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.

Return to “Science”