Pareidolia

jennyswan

Pareidolia

Post by jennyswan »

This happens to me a lot, the definition is as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

What do you think? Does this every happen to you.

It happens to me when I'm looking at a pattern, maybe wallpaper or something.

Here is another interesting link: http://thefolklorist.com/Pareidolia%20Project/index.htm

These are not my pages by the way, just found them but some of the pics on the second page are quite cool.
Galbally

Pareidolia

Post by Galbally »

Yes, I think its part of our natural genetic programming to recognize patterns we are descended from intelligent woodland hunting animals after all. So, recognizing a pattern in a grassland, or tree-scape was vital to stay alive, so we are primed to do it, and we do it all the time, in all manner of ways. The seeing things in clouds anecdote is just a good example of the limits of our abilities to see things clearly without imposing meanings onto everything. What say you? :thinking:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
jennyswan

Pareidolia

Post by jennyswan »

Galbally;554471 wrote: Yes, I think its part of our natural genetic programming to recognize patterns we are descended from intelligent woodland hunting animals after all. So, recognizing a pattern in a grassland, or tree-scape was vital to stay alive, so we are primed to do it, and we do it all the time, in all manner of ways. The seeing things in clouds anecdote is just a good example of the limits of our abilities to see things clearly without imposing meanings onto everything. What say you? :thinking:

Well it happens to me all the time and I never really thought about it until I read in a book about angels that some people believe that Angels contact us in this subtle way by showing their faces in patterns like wall paper etc.

I'm not sure about this as I'm very sceptical but it's a nice idea I suppose.

I mean there has to be some mysteries in the world that are actually mysteries if they really can't be scientifically proved.
Richard Bell

Pareidolia

Post by Richard Bell »

This story is from last month :

A couple in Yucaipa, Calif., who planned to get rid of their destructive pets suddenly changed their minds when an apparent image of Jesus appeared in their home's doggie door, according to a Local 6 News report.

The poochies' scratch marks and the manufacturer's logo form the "image".

"Dog" works in mysterious ways.:D

Attached files
Carl44

Pareidolia

Post by Carl44 »

this always happens to me ,clouds ,wall paper but usually when i'm awake really early and just thinking looking at the artex pattern on the ceiling ,faces animals fat bald men oh no thats the mirror :D i have often wondered what that was or why i did it ,espesially if you try and see the face again after looking away , on the ceiling that is .... not the mirror :thinking:

brill post jen
Carl44

Pareidolia

Post by Carl44 »

hey guys please humour jimbo a little here , have a quick look at koans fantastic , doodle :D , i mean artwork , focus around the ear of the woman does any one else see an emu type head leap out at them :confused:
Rapunzel

Pareidolia

Post by Rapunzel »

jennyswan;554503 wrote: Well it happens to me all the time and I never really thought about it until I read in a book about angels that some people believe that Angels contact us in this subtle way by showing their faces in patterns like wall paper etc.

I'm not sure about this as I'm very sceptical but it's a nice idea I suppose.

I mean there has to be some mysteries in the world that are actually mysteries if they really can't be scientifically proved.

I agree with you and I like to see faces or patterns in things too.

Like this cloud angel: :)

or this sign: ;)

Peg

Pareidolia

Post by Peg »

We have the old Marlite walls in our bathroom. Our 17 year old daughter absolutely HATES it. She said there are scary patterns in it. My husband says the same thing. It doesn't bother me much but probably will now. :wah:
Rapunzel

Pareidolia

Post by Rapunzel »

Peg;556045 wrote: We have the old Marlite walls in our bathroom. Our 17 year old daughter absolutely HATES it. She said there are scary patterns in it. My husband says the same thing. It doesn't bother me much but probably will now. :wah:

This reminded me that in our old house, my daughters bedroom wallpaper had pretty pink flowers all over it and long swirly twig designs joining the flowers up. One day she started crying that the twigs had spiders on them and she thought they were going to drop on her bed when she was asleep! I had to go and buy some paint and cover them all up for her, poor love. :-4
jennyswan

Pareidolia

Post by jennyswan »

Great pics Rapunzel. :)

I also had a lamp shade in our old flat that had a pattern on it that looked like a guy on a horse. I felt watched every time I looked at it. ;)
Greendrake27

Pareidolia

Post by Greendrake27 »

Pareidolia is a completelly weiiirrd phenomenon, i have often looked at rondom squigles on some paper and seen faces and eyes and places to draw mouthes to turnt hem into animals. Weeird.

Anyways, i wrote a little article on it all here:

// // //. greendrake.ca/?p=29

If anyone is interested. There are NO adds on the site, so its not me saying "Go make me money! Please"

I just dont want to copy/paste the WHOLE article here!

Cheers

Return to “Science”