Total Eclipse

Bez

Total Eclipse

Post by Bez »

Did anyone see this ???

Eclipse provides spectacular show

There was a spectacular show in the sky on Wednesday when the moon passed in front of the sun.

The happening - called an eclipse - saw the moon partially cover the sun from the UK, but the sun was completely covered in other parts of the world.

The total eclipse was visible from Africa, Turkey and Central Asia. It made everything go dark in the daytime.

The sun finished its journey in sunset along Mongolia's northern border at 11.48am British time.

Click here to see amazing pictures of the eclipse

Astronomers from US space agency Nasa and Britain's Royal Institute of Astronomy joined thousands of skywatchers to view the phenomenon from an ancient Roman site in Turkey.

"It's one of those experiences that makes you feel like you're part of the larger universe," said a Nasa spokesman. In the UK, overcast weather ruined many people's hopes of seeing the event.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Sheryl

Total Eclipse

Post by Sheryl »

No, wish we could have seen it in the US. Would have been something fun to watch with my son.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Uncle Kram

Total Eclipse

Post by Uncle Kram »

Didn't see this one but I remember the eclipse a couple of years back and the sight of 20 welders in the street watching it through their masks.

Surprised me how it suddenly went very cold.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
venus

Total Eclipse

Post by venus »

didnt see it real time , but saw it on tv...

wish l had though..:rolleyes:
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
chonsigirl

Total Eclipse

Post by chonsigirl »

I wish I could have seen it, showed photos of it to my students today, so cool!:-6
Bez

Total Eclipse

Post by Bez »

Uncle Kram wrote: Didn't see this one but I remember the eclipse a couple of years back and the sight of 20 welders in the street watching it through their masks.

Surprised me how it suddenly went very cold.

Yes I remember the last one in the UK.....not only did the temperature drop but it went dead quiet....all the birds thought it was night time I guess.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
spot

Total Eclipse

Post by spot »

Uncle Kram wrote: Didn't see this one but I remember the eclipse a couple of years back and the sight of 20 welders in the street watching it through their masks.

Surprised me how it suddenly went very cold.Easily explained - I expect the welders turned off their oxyacetylene flames.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Total Eclipse

Post by chonsigirl »

*rats*

I was going to roast some marshmallows.....................
Chicken Little

Total Eclipse

Post by Chicken Little »

spot wrote: Easily explained - I expect the welders turned off their oxyacetylene flames.
Toasty........................

Attached files
woppy71

Total Eclipse

Post by woppy71 »

I can remember the total eclipse we had in the UK six years or so ago... It was really eerie... All the birds stopped singing.... you could hear a pin drop. Spooky.:-2
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
chrisb84uk

Total Eclipse

Post by chrisb84uk »

I remember that Eclipse that we had a few years back too. It was around noon if my memory serves me right, because I remember all the coverage that was being shown on virtually all our tv stations. I can remember getting my camcorder out ready to film this spectacle only for the battery to die out on me just before it happened. Still it was really freaky wasn't it.
spot

Total Eclipse

Post by spot »

chrisb84uk wrote: I remember that Eclipse that we had a few years back too.Did you travel south for it, Chris? It was total in Cornwall, but the rest of the country didn't go all the way.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chrisb84uk

Total Eclipse

Post by chrisb84uk »

spot wrote: Did you travel south for it, Chris? It was total in Cornwall, but the rest of the country didn't go all the way.

No sadly I didn't Spot, would of loved too though if I could of gone. You are right I don't recall it going total here either, but it still was a sight to behold. If my memory serves me right, one of the places they were covering the Eclipse from on tv was Cornwall, and the pcitures that they had to show of the event was really spectacular.

Did u go down to Cornwall then, or did u remain in Wales to see it??
spot

Total Eclipse

Post by spot »

chrisb84uk wrote: Did u go down to Cornwall then, or did u remain in Wales to see it??Neither - I drove north to Lancashire, of all places. It was still quite an event.
Betty Boop

Total Eclipse

Post by Betty Boop »

I remember that week well, we had a huge influx of people and the supermarkets sold out of bread and milk. The farmers spent three weeks beforehand chaining up gates or dumping huge boulders in gateways to stop access, there was mass panic which was quite amusing.

On the actual day it was over-cast, we got a better view on the telly! :rolleyes:

Return to “Science”