Why Do We Work Out?

jones jones

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by jones jones »

Why do we head straight for the gym after work even before we go home?

Well we say to ourselves with as much conviction as we can muster … “I do it because exercise is good for me and it will prolong my life … I do it because I want to look good when I go to the beach in my bikini/Speedo … I do it because I won’t feel so guilty when I pig out tonight at the pub … I do it because …. Because … well I forget why.”

All the above is most probably a load of bull because …

1) How long do you wanna live? Like forever? Forget it … going to the gym every night is NOT gonna make you live any longer and if it does it may be a year or two. But I mean like who actually gives a flying flamingo if they live to eighty or maybe eighty-three?

2) Sure you gonna look better at the beach than you would with a beer gut or thunder thighs, but in the grand scheme of things, is it really gonna matter?

Its taken me years to get to look like this and for what?

And you think this chick did this cos she wants to live longer?

3) Next time you go to any random pub, take a look at the patrons. Ninety percent of them will be overweight, most of them will be with a partner and very few if any of them will feel even the teeniest bit of guilt.

So let me tell you why we go to the gym every day/night … We do it simply because we want to look good … not to please ourselves but to catch the eye of others. It’s a vanity thing.

After all, how much of what we do each and every day is for ourselves?
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
LarsMac

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by LarsMac »

I work out to stay in shape, so that when the zombie apocalypse happens I will to be able to outrun at least some of the other poor saps out there.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by tude dog »

It made me feel good, but it was boring.

I then took up bicycling.

Working out became fun.

Have to admit, the bike, due to work and weather doesn't get that much use lately.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
kayleneaussie

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by kayleneaussie »

I dont go to the gym but go to water therapy to get my balance back after a minor stroke and also ride my indoor bike cause i would like to live a little longer..oh and i also go walking and its not cause i want to perv on the blokes either:D
FOC THREAD PART 1
Lady J

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by Lady J »

jones jones;1448620 wrote: Why do we head straight for the gym after work even before we go home?

Well we say to ourselves with as much conviction as we can muster … “I do it because exercise is good for me and it will prolong my life … I do it because I want to look good when I go to the beach in my bikini/Speedo … I do it because I won’t feel so guilty when I pig out tonight at the pub … I do it because …. Because … well I forget why.”

All the above is most probably a load of bull because …

1) How long do you wanna live? Like forever? Forget it … going to the gym every night is NOT gonna make you live any longer and if it does it may be a year or two. But I mean like who actually gives a flying flamingo if they live to eighty or maybe eighty-three?

2) Sure you gonna look better at the beach than you would with a beer gut or thunder thighs, but in the grand scheme of things, is it really gonna matter?

3) Next time you go to any random pub, take a look at the patrons. Ninety percent of them will be overweight, most of them will be with a partner and very few if any of them will feel even the teeniest bit of guilt.

So let me tell you why we go to the gym every day/night … We do it simply because we want to look good … not to please ourselves but to catch the eye of others. It’s a vanity thing.

After all, how much of what we do each and every day is for ourselves?

I exercise every morning for about 30+ minutes....simple back stretches, a bit of abdominal work and some upper body. I do not do it cuz I am trying to live longer.....:wah: there are some days I wish it was all over; but cuz it make Moi able to deal with things better so my time here is more enjoyable.
Chloe_88

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by Chloe_88 »

I don't care what others think of the size of my bum! :wah:

I do my little bit of exercise every day, because it has made my stomach probs more manageable.
Bryn Mawr

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I've not been to a gym since school - instead I walk several miles every day, I cycle when I can, I dig the allotment, ...

What is the function of a gym when there is so much exercise to be had in real life?
Lady J

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by Lady J »

kayleneaussie;1448686 wrote: I dont go to the gym but go to water therapy to get my balance back after a minor stroke and also ride my indoor bike cause i would like to live a little longer..oh and i also go walking and its not cause i want to perv on the blokes either:D

Aqua exercise is great for helping to heal and just plain fun! Kayle...keeping walking and no harm in peaking at the blokes! :wah:

Lady Jj
jones jones

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by jones jones »

Bryn Mawr;1448733 wrote: I've not been to a gym since school - instead I walk several miles every day, I cycle when I can, I dig the allotment, ...

What is the function of a gym when there is so much exercise to be had in real life?

I do believe its more of a social thing today ... a fashion statement something like wearing sunglasses at night.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
LarsMac

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by LarsMac »

I once joined a gym. I didn't really like the fishbowl atmosphere, though.

Now I just have a simple weight set, and a Stationary bike, for when the weather is uncooperative.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1448843 wrote: I do believe its more of a social thing today ... a fashion statement something like wearing sunglasses at night.

I never did understand why???
Oscar Namechange

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I work out at home. I get on my machine In my pyjama's, stick something funky like ' New Order' on the hi fi and work out. I use bags of sugar for weights. If the weather Is OK, I'll skip on the patio for half an hour. I don't run round the field outside my house any more since a group of small children laughed at me.

I'm not paying £40 a week to some gym membership.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
DarrylC1

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by DarrylC1 »

I workout every morning I usually use home fitness workouts, I just do it to improve my breathing.
FourPart

Why Do We Work Out?

Post by FourPart »

I was talking to my Physio yesterday, who was saying that all these Keep Fit Junkies who work out in the Gym, using all the weights & bench presses etc. are, in fact, doing real long term damage to their Musculoskeletal structure, as it is developing muscles in the wrong places.

The reason I've having to undergo Physio is for a similar reason. Over exercising, by swimming has damaged the muscles between my scapula, thus causing the muscles to be pinched between the joint.

One of the exercises I've been given is to stand with my back flat against the wall & with my arms by my side & palms forward to push backward, as if trying to push the wall away. The thing is, that I can't get my palms to face forward - only backwards, and apparently that's indicative of the damage that's been done.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”