Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

kasjaws
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by kasjaws »

This might seem like a ridiculous question to many of you who are still ridiculed or misunderstood for being a vegetarian, but I believe it is a distinct possibility. In fact I believe that we are ‘evolving ‘as a species to a place where it is no longer necessary for us to eat animal protein. In fact we may be better off without it. Laugh out loud you say! Humans were made to eat animal protein and we would not have survived to point without it you say.

I will grant that we did need to eat animal protein to survive up to this point in our history as a species. But I don’t think we have to continue on that path just because it has been our path. The processes and production capacities in the developed world have evolved such that the vegetable protein derived from sources like soy, fungus, and bean curd are sufficient to provide all the nutrients that human beings need to survive and yes to thrive. We can now produce vegetable protein that tastes good, looks good, and has texture the same as meat. We can produce this in quantities sufficient to feed the world.

Just take a look around your local grocery store. No not your local co-op or health food store, look around your local grocery store. Look in the fresh produce section. You will find soy and tofu based burgers, hot dogs, sausages, cheeses, milk etc. Then take a look at your frozen food section. You will find corn dogs, burgers, lasagna, pot pies, enchiladas, and much much more. All of which has less cholesterol, less fat and equal protein to any animal protein.

I would put forth the proposition that if we had the cultural and political will as a species we could give up eating all other sentient beings. I believe that on the biological level, we have indeed evolved to a point where we still benefit from eating animal protein, but we are no longer dependent on it. We have also evolved in our understanding and production of vegetable protein to satisfy the need for good flavor and texture. It is only about the will to do so. I hope that day will come.
User avatar
Snooz
Posts: 4800
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:05 am

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Snooz »

Until I'm a little more confident that soy doesn't interfere with my thyroid meds, that's off the menu.
User avatar
Scrat
Posts: 1406
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Scrat »

No No and hell no. I will not give up my steaks, chops, chicken and spam. I'm an omnivore. We have discussed this more than once and I think it's about dead now.
kasjaws
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by kasjaws »

Sorry I am new and did not see any previous posts. About the thyroid med. I take synthroid and have no issues with soy.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Hi Kas and welcome to the forum :-6

An Interesting thread.

I'm afraid that I am a 'hypocritical vegetarian'. If you're wondering what that Is, It's a little like saying 'I'm a non smoker apart from the 20 Marlbough I have a day'.

I eat chicken, fish, beef and pork but will not eat lamb or an animal I consider a waste of killing such as rabbitt, partridge, pheasent etc .

Yes. It's hypocritical I know but then i only have half a consience to wrestle with.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Ahso! »

kasjaws;1368168 wrote: Sorry I am new and did not see any previous posts. About the thyroid med. I take synthroid and have no issues with soy.Your thread is fine and the subject never becomes worn out. Keep at it. Welcome to FG.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
Snooz
Posts: 4800
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:05 am

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Snooz »

I don't eat pork anymore except for a very occasional slice of bacon (guilt), I don't eat rabbit, lamb or lobster (they really do scream in boiling water), and I try to only eat grass fed, free range beef and free range chicken and eggs. I also changed to almond milk for my coffee and coconut milk for my oatmeal. No cheese or ice cream but that's mainly because it gives me the toots. So I feel pretty good about my meat consumption.
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by K.Snyder »

kasjaws;1368165 wrote: This might seem like a ridiculous question to many of you who are still ridiculed or misunderstood for being a vegetarian, but I believe it is a distinct possibility. In fact I believe that we are ‘evolving ‘as a species to a place where it is no longer necessary for us to eat animal protein. In fact we may be better off without it. Laugh out loud you say! Humans were made to eat animal protein and we would not have survived to point without it you say.

I will grant that we did need to eat animal protein to survive up to this point in our history as a species. But I don’t think we have to continue on that path just because it has been our path. The processes and production capacities in the developed world have evolved such that the vegetable protein derived from sources like soy, fungus, and bean curd are sufficient to provide all the nutrients that human beings need to survive and yes to thrive. We can now produce vegetable protein that tastes good, looks good, and has texture the same as meat. We can produce this in quantities sufficient to feed the world.

Just take a look around your local grocery store. No not your local co-op or health food store, look around your local grocery store. Look in the fresh produce section. You will find soy and tofu based burgers, hot dogs, sausages, cheeses, milk etc. Then take a look at your frozen food section. You will find corn dogs, burgers, lasagna, pot pies, enchiladas, and much much more. All of which has less cholesterol, less fat and equal protein to any animal protein.

I would put forth the proposition that if we had the cultural and political will as a species we could give up eating all other sentient beings. I believe that on the biological level, we have indeed evolved to a point where we still benefit from eating animal protein, but we are no longer dependent on it. We have also evolved in our understanding and production of vegetable protein to satisfy the need for good flavor and texture. It is only about the will to do so. I hope that day will come."thrive"? Really?

With global temperatures rising, hard economic times, and depleting soil quality, just to name a few, is screeching to a halt and we're going to thrive?

Yeah right kas

No one takes into account the future anymore?

Quite the opposite kas. If I were you I'd start building an arc and try and get as many animals as you can and only hope you've the grass to feed them
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1368244 wrote: "thrive"? Really?

With global temperatures rising, hard economic times, and depleting soil quality, just to name a few, is screeching to a halt and we're going to thrive?

Yeah right kas

No one takes into account the future anymore?

Quite the opposite kas. If I were you I'd start building an arc and try and get as many animals as you can and only hope you've the grass to feed themWhen have humans as a whole ever taken the future into account? Seems to me we would not be dealing with what we are if they had.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1368245 wrote: When have humans as a whole ever taken the future into account? Seems to me we would not be dealing with what we are if they had.To me it's a matter of how far in to the future everyone collectively protects. I would say, however, that it's never been any length of time appropriately fitting to the outlook of the time.
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Ahso! »

Up to now humans have lacked the capacity to predict future environmental events. Unfortunately, it's taken hurting our environment in order to understand the consequences of our behavior. Hopefully, it's not too late. But what do I care, I'll be dead.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by K.Snyder »

Eating meat has to be a construct of religious philosophy. How else are we to separate living animals from,..well,..:thinking: living organisms without associating those animals as having a spirit, or anything else that directly "links" those animals as being the same(based, of course, off of the premise it's a societal norm to not eat another human) as humans?
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

And just for the record.... Haalal meat ??? Over my dead body.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1368257 wrote: Eating meat has to be a construct of religious philosophy. How else are we to separate living animals from,..well,..:thinking: living organisms without associating those animals as having a spirit, or anything else that directly "links" those animals as being the same(based, of course, off of the premise it's a societal norm to not eat another human) as humans?Religion certainly assists humans in overcoming the morality in order to justify the behavior.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tedhutchinson
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:02 am

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by tedhutchinson »

I think we are wasting time arguing over meat/veggie eating.

Here are Denise Minger's slides That you can look at while listening to her

"How to win an argument with a vegetarian" by Denise Minger presentation at the Ancestral Health Foundation Symposium

What is really important is that we all eat real food and not processed crap.
User avatar
Scrat
Posts: 1406
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Scrat »

Eating meat has to be a construct of religious philosophy.


How so? We probably have always eaten some type of meat be it 4 legged, 6 or more. We're primates and we are omnivores. We eat a wide variety of foods up to and including, one another. Make no mistake of it either, the consumption of meat is one of the reasons we have such big brains.

I thought this thread wouldn't go anywhere. :-2
User avatar
Scrat
Posts: 1406
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by Scrat »

What is really important is that we all eat real food and not processed crap


Right on the money.

BTW What's the hardest part of a vegan BBQ?

Keeping the vegan on the BBQ.:sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by K.Snyder »

Scrat;1368331 wrote: How so? We probably have always eaten some type of meat be it 4 legged, 6 or more. We're primates and we are omnivores. We eat a wide variety of foods up to and including, one another. Make no mistake of it either, the consumption of meat is one of the reasons we have such big brains.

I thought this thread wouldn't go anywhere. :-2Actually, I apologize for misleading anyone, I meant "Not eating meat" as in a vegetarian mind set has to be a construct of religious philosophy, sorry...
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by K.Snyder »

Apparently the House appropriations committee wants to cut aid for food emergencies by 75%...

I'd recently watched the movie "Alive". The film tells the story of the Uruguayan rugby team that crashed in to the Andes mountains...

After being subjected to freezing temperatures for more than a handful of days everyone seemed to have a glimmer of hope by realizing the battery to the radio was in the tail of the plain which they'd presumed was in the vicinity of themselves only for the search team to come back empty handed.

Then the group of people began eating the flesh of their companions right there on film. It was horrendously calculated...

I'd have began preserving their bodies from day one!

Anyway where was I?

Ah, yes,..meat eating...
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Can Humans Give Up All Eating of Animals?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hmmmm I don't get all that evolving thing ....we only know how we've evolved by hindsight....How does one predict evolution? I was told we have an apendix because it's a left over of our evolution into meat eating. Another words we're not herbivores anymore. Now are we to believe the apendix is on hold for future evolution?

You eat your Soy and fungals .....that thing mowing the paddock is okay by me .

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”