Ea-6b

Dessie

Ea-6b

Post by Dessie »

I am just praying that someone in here can help me, but it looks more like rag on the war in here.

I am looking for books on the EA-6B "Prowler". My husband is in the Navy and workd on the jet for 4 years. He is doing a paper for school on the history of the aircraft and we just can't seem to find books on the 'history' of the jet. Lots of books about what wars it's been in and what it does, but not how it came to be. If ANYONE knows of a book that is dedicated to the HISTORY of the aircraft, I would LOVE to know about it! :)

THANKS!
SOJOURNER

Ea-6b

Post by SOJOURNER »

Have you tried searching the Web?
Dessie

Ea-6b

Post by Dessie »

I did...googled it, barns and noble, but they don't tell you what all is in the book. And I don't want to end up spending 20 bucks on a book that isn't what I needed... (military pay check :) ) This is my last hope! :) THANKS!!
gmc

Ea-6b

Post by gmc »

Try searching under a-6 intruder.

http://www.planenuts.com/posters_ea6b.html

Also

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/recon/ea6b/

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quart ... 6_ea6.html

The EA-6B Prowler is largely based on the A-6, but designed for an entirely different mission. Prowlers are Electronic Warfare aircraft. Their main mission is to jam enemy radars and communications. They performed this task very effectively during the Gulf War. Prowlers are also able to carry High-speed Anti-Radar Missiles (HARM) to destroy enemy radars. Anything they don't jam, they can destroy.

In the photo above, the large bulge on top of the vertical stabilizer (tail) is evident. This fairing houses the sensors that tell the jamming equipment operators what wavelengths (frequencies) are being transmitted by the enemy radar/communications gear. The actual jamming pods are mounted under the wings. The aft cockpit for the extra two crewmembers is also plainly visible.

The US Air Force used to have its own ECM aircraft, the EF-111, but they have all been retired. This leaves the EA-6B as the only aircraft in the US inventory which is capable of carrying out this vital mission. Navy Prowlers will be flying with Air Force aircraft as well as with Navy aircraft. These will be some very busy planes and crews!

The Prowler carries a crew of 4, with 2 in front, as in the Intruder, but with 2 more crewmembers behind them. The right front and both rear crewmembers are the Electronic Countermeasures Officers (ECMO's). The basic airframe of the Intruder was stretched some 7 feet to accommodate the extra crewmembers and associated electronics. For more info on the Prowler, go to NAS

Stephen Coonts, Flight of the intruder, also made in to a film
Dessie

Ea-6b

Post by Dessie »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Snoozecontrol and GMC. I really am not very internet smart...you guys have been a GREAT help!!!
BabyRider

Ea-6b

Post by BabyRider »

Hey Dessie, if you stick around a bit longer and need more info, there's a guy here by the name of Jives who I'm sure could help you out. He is a former fighter pilot.

Stick around anyway, FG is a cool place! Welcome! :yh_peace
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Dessie

Ea-6b

Post by Dessie »

I was looking at you and Jives conversation from yesterday...he sounds like an interesting guy!

So far I am very impressed with this forumgarden thing...I tried to get info on yahoo chat yesterday...they were more interested in what I was wearing than actually helping me out! THANKS!!! I can't say that enough, you all have been GREAT!
BabyRider

Ea-6b

Post by BabyRider »

Dessie wrote: I was looking at you and Jives conversation from yesterday...he sounds like an interesting guy!

So far I am very impressed with this forumgarden thing...I tried to get info on yahoo chat yesterday...they were more interested in what I was wearing than actually helping me out! THANKS!!! I can't say that enough, you all have been GREAT!
Ooh, yesterday was ugly, I hope you don't take what was happening with some problematic new members as what's standard here. And that problem has been resolved.

Yeah, I'd steer way clear of chat rooms! Not at all on the level of discussion you're looking for. Forums are a much better way to communicate and this particular forum is the best! Glad you've found us!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Dessie

Ea-6b

Post by Dessie »

Thanks Far Rider...

I'll keep an eye out for this Scrat...

I'm glad I found this place too!!!

Return to “Warfare Military”