Question for those who have served

actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I know a few people on this board are veterans, and my friend is doing a school project on oppressed groups of people---namely with United States Veterans. He's specifically trying to explore VA benefits---how they could be improved, maybe bad experiences, things vets wished they had known and the like. I told him I'd ask around...if anyone would like to share their experiences, or the experiences of someone in their family he'd love to email. If you can help, please let me know and I'll PM you the email. Thanks!
Jives

Post by Jives »

Sorry, I'd like to help you Stepho, but my experiences with the VA were always outstandingly positive. I've found their doctors to be professional, dedicated, and detail- oriented. Nothing I can think of to improve.:o
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Clint

Post by Clint »

The VA is my primary health care provider. I have had the same experience Jives relates.

There was a little confusion this year that caused a lowering of staff morale when they didn’t ask for a large enough appropriation to operate. That was a management failure that caused difficulty throughout the organization. They seem to be recovering from that now.

I have had experience with a very large HMO and I prefer the VA by far.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Hubby is a VA pharmacist....glad to hear the positive praise!
Nature laughs Last
Lon

Post by Lon »

actionfigurestepho wrote: I know a few people on this board are veterans, and my friend is doing a school project on oppressed groups of people---namely with United States Veterans. He's specifically trying to explore VA benefits---how they could be improved, maybe bad experiences, things vets wished they had known and the like. I told him I'd ask around...if anyone would like to share their experiences, or the experiences of someone in their family he'd love to email. If you can help, please let me know and I'll PM you the email. Thanks!

I am a Korean War Vet but have never used any VA Hospital or Medical Benefits. I have used all four years of VA Educational Benefits however, as well as a G.I. Home Loan. I have no complaints for the VA benefits that I received for my active service.
Peg

Post by Peg »

I work at a VFW and the only negatives I have heard are, they go the cheapest, not neccessarily the least painful way and the wait people have when the VA transports them to and from the VA clinic or doctor.
Clint

Post by Clint »

I forgot to mention that I have used both my education benefit and my home loan benefit. The home loan took forever but it was worth it.

I think that when it comes to medical there are some things that are done a little bit on the cheap. For some reason, that doesn't bother me. The staff usually makes up for it by really caring. I think it takes a special person to want to work with veterans.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Retired Air Force here. I pay monthly for the HMO style medical care I get. I never used the VA, but I go there occassionally for other reasons and haven't seen or heard anything "oppressive." Some older retirees complain that the military (separate from the VA) implicitly promised that they would have their every medical need paid for in appreciation for their sacrifice. Maybe find some older retired vets.

The extra pay we get for a disability incurred during service is not really extra pay because they deduct that amount from our retirement pay, but the disability pay is federal tax free. I have to say I'm a bit confused about how they calculate/define a disability. For instance, sleep apnia (sp?) is considered 50% disability, yet losing a leg below the knee is 40%. I get 10% for intemittant back pain. WTF?

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm not feeling opressed. Is your friend a vet?
actionfigurestepho

No, he's not a vet but one of his professors is, and his professor's ranting about benefits and ill treatment inspired my friend to write a paper.

It's interesting that you guys have a lot of praise for the VA. I'm an auxilary member at a VFW and some of the guys there have been having a hard time with benefits. Especially the guys who end up having to go to the nursing homes. You wouldn't believe the issues they have there. Every year we put together care packages and their wish list includes things like toilet paper and socks. TOILET PAPER AND SOCKS. I can't belive that these are things that are not provided for them, and that they have to be brought these basic necessities in a care package. It really makes me angry. Reading your responses, I'm wondering if some of the problems are statewide---his professor is Cleveland based and so is my VFW post. That's an interesting angle. I'll send him this page to read. He's talked to the people at my post, but we wanted to hear from people in different states as well.
randall

Post by randall »

:-6

randall here, 'evening all,

Perhaps I should keep my mouth shut because is just nmissed being alled up for WWII and was in ther merhcnatile matrine during the remaining conflicts - suppling troops, neverhteless -?

I think that it goes without saying that our veterans must envy the US veterans because there is so little recognition of almost anyone in this country.

Only in the past few years have the merchant navy lads been allowed to join the "British Legion".

Our special forces, such as frogmen, miniature submariners and a few other oddities - who were all volunteers for special duties - had their pay stopped as soon as they were captured and that was often the first that their wifes and mothers knew they were in so-called special forces.

In the merchant navy, as soon as your ship was sunk your pay was stopped!

There are almost endless examples of this ingratitude to men and women in the history of British wrafare which brings me to this quoatation which may not be out of place here :-

It is by Thomas Jordan

Our God and soldier we alike adore,

Just at the brink of ruin, not before;

The danger past, both are alike required;

God is forgotten, and our soldier slighted.

I have travelled across the USA on Greyhound Bus in the company of your veterans and can assure you that ours would like one hundreth of the recognition that your get with their aide schemes and veterans hospitals.

Nothing, even remotely similar exists here in the British Isles.

Off course Rudyard Ki;ling wrote a similar poem in "Tommy Atkins" - equivalent to your term GI Joe.

It is not new and I doubt if it will ever improve.

God bless.

randall.

:)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Send them to the US, Randall. We'll give them a ticker-tape parade. We as a society hold British heroism in the highest regard. Hell, even Alexander the Great has a British accent in our cinema, although a poorly played one. :D
actionfigurestepho

Thanks for that link!

Return to “Warfare Military”