Army Kept Truth of GI's Death From Family

CountryDweller

Post by CountryDweller »

My heart goes out to the family of this soldier, this is gross negligence and all those involved should be reprimanded. Information gets touchy and emotional when a fellow soldier is killed your buddies wanna make it so you died for a reason not an accident. Its one thing to make an error its entirely another to fail to bring it to light when the error is discovered, as painful as it is, it'd have been better to know the truth than not.
You're so right Far Rider! I would rather know the truth now then hear the truth a year and a half later. Meredith is most likey right in regards to official incompetence on the Army's part. Too many hands shuffle the paper work which in turn didn't come to light as soon as it should have. Someone should be held accountable for this action.
ubetta

Post by ubetta »

I don't wish to seem or be insensitive, but what difference does it make? I mean, ok, you have to again address the hurt, but I'm sure you are dealing with that on a daily basis anyway. It doesn't change anything....he's gone. He was there, fighting nobly and was killed. What difference could it possibly make?
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Far Rider wrote: For reasons that are not clear, the Army did not correct the public record and inform the family until Friday.

Seems pretty clear to me: They fu*ked up and don't want anyone to know.

ubetta wrote:

What difference could it possibly make?

If it was my kid? It would make all the difference in the world. I could make sense of him being killed by the enemy, I couldn't make sense of him being killed by an unmanned machine gun on an American tank.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

ubetta

Post by ubetta »

It seems to me they screwed up and corrected the mistake. There is a lot going on and it is quite possible that through some sort of benfit or something that they were supposed to get, it came to light. Are you saying they did some sort of cover up?

As for making sense, well, I would have and do have making sense out of death to begin with except for that after a long and eventful life. I guess that is how we are different. But to me, accidents happen. It's well known and documented. Doesn't make his death any more or less meaningful.

Just my opinion.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

ubetta wrote: Are you saying they did some sort of cover up?
I'm saying I don't know, but it sounds damn fishy. They have corrected it, sure...over a year later.

As for "accidents happen" this one shouldn't have.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

The family is right to be angry. If he reportedly died one way and have known that to be a lie for so long, they should have disclosed that to his family.

If something happens to my husband, I don't think it would really matter to me if it was enemy fire or an accident. I think that I could even understand if it was friendly fire in a combat situation. I would have a hard time if it was a fellow soldier who attacked his unit, like the guy at the beginning of the war that threw hand grenades into his commander's tent.

Accidents happen. He could just as easily get hit by a bus here at home. Heck, if you look at statistics, he is more likely to get killed by a drunk driver here in the States then he is to get killed in the Gulf!

I am proud of my husband and his dedication and service to his country. I am proud of his reasons for joining and proud of his decision to go to the Gulf. He is National Guard and had just returned from a Peace Keeping Mission in Egypt when he was called and asked if wanted to go to Iraq. He could have turned down the mission. He doesn't want to be a hero, just defend his country.
Sandi

ubetta

Post by ubetta »

My thanks to your family and husband. You are all in my thoughts.

Return to “Warfare Military”